Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

New drivers could be banned from driving at night

I thought the whole purpose of passing your test was that you have confirmed your ability to drive unaided day or night, rain, sunshine or snow.

So at the maximum, would it not be more efficient for them to introduce a 2 tier test; One daylight drive and one dark drive? Not saying they should implement something, but surely it would be more efficient than banning new drivers from driving at Night.

And for that matter, should they ban new drivers in extreme conditions? Snow, sleet, frost, mist - All more dangerous than a clear night and many more accidents occur.

Also, new drivers may be involved in accidents, but what percentage of them are actually at fault, cant be all of them. I think that they should aim to make it mandatory for all cars to have dash-cams which can monitor speed in the next few years, so they can determine who was at fault and the speed they were travelling.

Edited by CollinsLCFC

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

This is a country where you can fly to Amsterdam for half the price of taking the train to London. We are stupid.

And you can spend the money you save on drugs.

We are stupid and backward.

• Like 2

Whilst this might seem reasonable to the bureaucrats in London (moderate change through the year between day night cycles), it would essentially make driving as a younger person in the Shetland Island during the winter almost completely unworkable.

Stupid.

9 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

No deaths from that so far, fingers crossed it stays that way, looked pretty bad.

In other road safety news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49040525

Still amazes me that someone wouldn't wear a seatbelt, but there you go.

I'm old enough to remember when wearing them became compulsory. I was only small at the time but I the fuss people made about it sticks in my mind even now

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

No deaths from that so far, fingers crossed it stays that way, looked pretty bad.

In other road safety news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49040525

Still amazes me that someone wouldn't wear a seatbelt, but there you go.

I'm old enough to remember when wearing them became compulsory. I was only small at the time but I the fuss people made about it sticks in my mind even now

i have nightmares when I think of how I used to drive with 3 young kids in the back just lolling around went all the way down to La Rochelle like that.

Just now, davieG said:

i have nightmares when I think of how I used to drive with 3 young kids in the back just lolling around went all the way down to La Rochelle like that.

You and everyone else, I'm sure.

It's like anything risky which is completely fine 99% of the time until something goes wrong and then you're basically in a horror film.

Even when 10,000 people were dying on the roads a year the chances of it happening to you as an individual were small enough not to take it seriously

• Like 1

I usually don't like driving (late) at night, but particularly on wet roads, just after a rainfall or tempest. When you have little or weak road lighting, it makes matters worse. I hate the reflections of car lights on the wet asphalt, highly distracting.

I dislike how this gives the impression all new drivers are either poor drivers or a potential hazard.

Whilst many are shakey on the roads at first, a lot of experienced drivers are still absolutely dreadful. 

I don't think this type of this would really reduce levels of accidents.