Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LC/FC

Jamie Vardy: Leicester star reveals he quit football for a year after being let go by Sheffield Wednesday

Sounds similar to the Antoine Griezmann story they did on Netflix. More often then not self belief can take you to places that exist in your dreams.

Maybe in my next life I can learn to harness that power when I'm a bit younger. :fc:

Edited by SO1

Jamie Vardy: Leicester star reveals he quit football for a year after being let go by Sheffield Wednesday
The Foxes striker's career started slowly but he persevered through the lower leagues before proving himself at the highest level

Luke Bosher
16 hours ago 
Jamie Vardy’s rise to prominence is the stuff of dreams, and the Leicester man has revealed to L’Equipe that he gave up on football after he was told he would not be able to fulfil his lifelong ambition to be a professional footballer for his boyhood club.

“It was 2002 when I was fired from the Sheffield Wednesday Academy at the age of fifteen. At a meeting at the end of the season with my coaches, I was told that I was not kept because I was too small… it was terrible,” Vardy recalls. 

“From there, I stopped playing football for almost a year. At the weekend, I did everything and anything but not football. I said to myself: ‘There’s no point in continuing, I’m not made for that.”

Vardy then joined local side Stockbridge Park Steels and was later picked up by Halifax Town in the division below the Conference North. He quickly ascended to the Premier League in the space of four years with Leicester via Fleetwood, and the rest is history.

At 32, many would have thought Vardy may be slowing down, with pace a crucial aspect of his game, but the man himself is confident in his ability to continue at the top for many more years. 

“I never see beyond the horizon of the next match… And if I’m still performing well with my club at 32 years old, it is precisely thanks to this state of mind. 

“And physically I do not feel used at all; I still have in my legs to play several seasons in the Premier League.”

The Englishman, as many players do to prolong their club career, retired from international duty after being sparingly used at the 2018 World Cup. However, England boss Gareth Southgate has opened the door to Vardy, who scored 18 in 33 last season, and a return to the Three Lions squad.

“It’s obvious how well he’s [Vardy] still playing, and the discussion we had at the time with him was always: ‘Look, neither of us close the door.’”

Vardy also reflected on his time at Leicester, including N’Golo Kante’s bizarre suggestion that he might run to training. 

Jamie-Vardy.jpg
Vardy worked under Phillips’s coaching at Leicester (Getty)
“What a pleasure it was to play alongside N’Golo! He is an adorable guy alongside being a fantastic footballer,” Vardy claims. 

“One day he said to us that he was seriously considering running to the training centre each day, which came from the fact that he would always add a little running session for himself. In the moment, we were all a bit taken aback and convinced him not to.”

He also professed that Claude Puel’s training regime was perhaps unsuited to the Premier League. 

“We got on well, but I had the impression that the intensity in training sessions was too low, to the point that it was difficult for us to be quick and aggressive in matches,” Vardy remembers. 

“We tried to give our best, but it wasn’t working, it was frustrating.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, davieG said:

The Foxes striker's career started slowly but he persevered through the lower leagues before proving himself at the highest level

Luke Bosher
16 hours ago 
Jamie Vardy’s rise to prominence is the stuff of dreams, and the Leicester man has revealed to L’Equipe that he gave up on football after he was told he would not be able to fulfil his lifelong ambition to be a professional footballer for his boyhood club.

“It was 2002 when I was fired from the Sheffield Wednesday Academy at the age of fifteen. At a meeting at the end of the season with my coaches, I was told that I was not kept because I was too small… it was terrible,” Vardy recalls. 

“From there, I stopped playing football for almost a year. At the weekend, I did everything and anything but not football. I said to myself: ‘There’s no point in continuing, I’m not made for that.”

Vardy then joined local side Stockbridge Park Steels and was later picked up by Halifax Town in the division below the Conference North. He quickly ascended to the Premier League in the space of four years with Leicester via Fleetwood, and the rest is history.

At 32, many would have thought Vardy may be slowing down, with pace a crucial aspect of his game, but the man himself is confident in his ability to continue at the top for many more years. 

“I never see beyond the horizon of the next match… And if I’m still performing well with my club at 32 years old, it is precisely thanks to this state of mind. 

“And physically I do not feel used at all; I still have in my legs to play several seasons in the Premier League.”

The Englishman, as many players do to prolong their club career, retired from international duty after being sparingly used at the 2018 World Cup. However, England boss Gareth Southgate has opened the door to Vardy, who scored 18 in 33 last season, and a return to the Three Lions squad.

“It’s obvious how well he’s [Vardy] still playing, and the discussion we had at the time with him was always: ‘Look, neither of us close the door.’”

Vardy also reflected on his time at Leicester, including N’Golo Kante’s bizarre suggestion that he might run to training. 

Jamie-Vardy.jpg
Vardy worked under Phillips’s coaching at Leicester (Getty)
“What a pleasure it was to play alongside N’Golo! He is an adorable guy alongside being a fantastic footballer,” Vardy claims. 

“One day he said to us that he was seriously considering running to the training centre each day, which came from the fact that he would always add a little running session for himself. In the moment, we were all a bit taken aback and convinced him not to.”

He also professed that Claude Puel’s training regime was perhaps unsuited to the Premier League. 

“We got on well, but I had the impression that the intensity in training sessions was too low, to the point that it was difficult for us to be quick and aggressive in matches,” Vardy remembers. 

“We tried to give our best, but it wasn’t working, it was frustrating.”

More evidence of Puel not bring good enough.

So glad Vardes didn't quit. What a player he is! Shame he didn't hit the big time earlier, he'd have become a legend like Henry or Van Nistelrooy I reckon. 

Re England and Southgate saying "Neither of us close the door", the "door" is wedged shut when in tournament games Harry Kane is kept on / in, lumbering around, when clearly not fit and sharp while Jamie is made to sit and watch with the rest of us - more with the previous manager to be fair but not utilised properly or treated fairly. Right now Kane is certainly doing the business and it's all clicking but by April / May there's no guarantee he will be as sharp, if it was a level playing field I'd say get involved again but I could see the same happening. 

36 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

In shock news, more evidence emerges that Puel wasn't the right man for the job.

It's ok, guys, I think it's generally accepted now, you don't have to point it out over and over :) 

In all fairness mate, unfortunately we do. There are still some people claiming him to be the man who built this squad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxhateram said:

In all fairness mate, unfortunately we do. There are still some people claiming him to be the man who built this squad. 

No you don't - you won't get through to the dogmatic few anyway, and it just annoys anyone else who isn't in the point scoring business here.

In fairness to Puel, he did a lot of spadework, he just also pissed a lot of people off. Just as Pearson built what followed, but cannot take the credit for it. It's not like Taylor, who destroyed everything. You're not obliged to agree

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

So glad Vardes didn't quit. What a player he is! Shame he didn't hit the big time earlier, he'd have become a legend like Henry or Van Nistelrooy I reckon. 

I think that if he'd been earlier on the scene, we would never have been able to sign him. Fate.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

yeah and he wouldnt be playing for us either, also, i doubt he would be the player he is now without the having played in the lower leagues

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Anyone who compares what Puel did in terms of "building" to what Pearson did, should get an immediate FT ban and have match tickets revoked forever lol

Pearson assembled a strong squad, with the right attitude and mentality, built a tight dressing room and was respected by almost all the players and staff.

Puel signed a couple of quality players and gave a couple of young ones a push into the team yet was widely despised by players, backroom, club staff etc and left the club having created a toxic environment.

Puel and Pearson should not be compared in the same breath, not now, not ever.

So Geoff, tell us what you REALLY think. 

• Haha 1