Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Rugby world cup 2019

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Wouldnt surprise me if it was going to cost them big time in insurance to relocate as it may have come with caveats rather than cancelling completely.

Yup exactly. There's all sorts of stuff like this that we've just got absolutely no idea. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Surely they've considered this though, I mean, everyone's coming up with these suggestions but I think it's a bit too easy to just believe the organisers are morons and the solutions are easy. 

Well they clearly didn't consider that they were hosting the tournament during typhoons season.

Though I think a rugby game in the middle of a screaming hurricane would make great TV.

Imagine scoring an own drop-goal!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Don't really care about how good New Zealand are, their record against Italy etc, everyone deserve a chance to get out on a the field a compete. As Leicester fans I thought we'd understand that sometimes the impossible is possible. Imagine if Wimbledon took that attitude when it rains and gave Federer or Djokovic free pass because they'd always beaten their next opponent anyway. We'd have missed out on the odd upset. 

Surely they knew they were holding it during typhoon season, they should have had something prepared in case this happened. Makes a mockery of the final result of the whole tournament. Also skews the prep time for the quarters for some teams giving them an edge. All in all, just a bit of a farce. Not because they've taken this action under the circumstance, but more that they've left themselves in this position. I get people points about logistically speaking right now it would be hard, but the fact they weren't prepared is unforgivable. Couldn't delaying the whole thing, or just a couple game a few days been an option, even if they played them behind closed doors in a small stadium?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Well they clearly didn't consider that they were hosting the tournament during typhoons season.

In what way is that clear? 

This will have been risk assessed by a multi billion pound insurance broker well in advance, they'll have consulted weather experts and every Japanese authority to do with public safety, transport and logistics. 

They'll have weighed up the likelihood of this happening and planned accordingly. 

But this is literally about the worst cast scenario. Its a category five super typhoon heading pretty much dead bang smack for the stadiums in question. That that would happen exactly at the climax of the group stages might seem "obvious" now in hindsight but I'm assuming it was a huge statistical long shot in advance. 

11 hours ago, TK95 said:

Can see similar thing happening with Qatar tbh. Scorching heat a risk to player's health

They've got air conditioning in the stadiums I think.

What happens if any of the knock out matches here have to be cancelled?

34 minutes ago, MattP said:

They've got air conditioning in the stadiums I think.

What happens if any of the knock out matches here have to be cancelled?

This is probably only the second storm of 2019 (first storm was in January) that would actually have caused any disruption to the RWC (Faxai in the first week of September hit Chiba just to the North of Tokyo but Tokyo pretty much would have shut down, maybe Yokohama too.)

Once again, Hagibis is category 5 and its path is straight over Tokyo Bay, nailing Tokyo and Yokohama bang on directly. This is nowhere near a common occurrence. 

Mitag, Tapah, Lingling, Krosa and Francisco all would have missed major cities and/or been quite minor storms by the time they landed in Japan. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the question is in part hypothetical and meant to highlight what appears to be a lack of contingency from WR but just to assure - its 99.9999% not going to happen. 

Personally, my assumption is that there is contingency with the knock out games (there's no midweek in the schedule for a start so that's a lot of freedom to move) but that this close to the end of the groups, they just weren't prepared to pay the expense with what they'll have judged to be not enough riding on Saturdays games. 

Again, not saying that's right or wrong, we've had that discussion in circles now.

Edited by Finnegan

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

10. 10 changes. 

Playing in shit conditions 

Australia are poor and England should beat them but this game wasn't overly reflective of what to expect, quite frankly. 

Is that 10 changes from the last game, or 10 changes from their "best" XV? Didn't seem like too many of those in the lineup would be "reserves".

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Is that 10 changes from the last game, or 10 changes from their "best" XV? Didn't seem like too many of those in the lineup would be "reserves".

The last game but Cheika hasn't played with a defined First and Reserves so different players got rotated out for the Uruguay and Georgia games. About half and half played in each. 

All told there were about 8 differences between the team vs Wales and the team vs Georgia. 

Significantly, the half back pair and Michael Hooper were the most stand out players missing. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The last game but Cheika hasn't played with a defined First and Reserves so different players got rotated out for the Uruguay and Georgia games. About half and half played in each. 

All told there were about 8 differences between the team vs Wales and the team vs Georgia. 

Significantly, the half back pair and Michael Hooper were the most stand out players missing. 

Bit of a problem when you are about to play a QF in a WC against England and don't really know your best team.

Having said that, the QF's should be an interesting watch. Sort of hope Japan get through. NZ vs Ireland would be good.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Bit of a problem when you are about to play a QF in a WC against England and don't really know your best team.

Having said that, the QF's should be an interesting watch. Sort of hope Japan get through. NZ vs Ireland would be good.

He's not rotating because he doesn't know his best team*, he's rotating because Georgia and Uruguay are both shit and he just wants to keep everyone fresh without being TOO complacent in either game and probably trying out some different combinations en route. 

The team he played vs Wales will be what he thinks is his best team* for this WC. 

England will be runaway favourites though for sure. England do have a problem with getting a good lead and then just collapsing, mind, so Australia's bench will give Eddie headaches if they don't cut that shit out. 

Unless Hooper & Pocock have the games of their lives and England completely forget to tackle Kerevi (a la Wales second half) I'd probably say England by 10+.

(*tbf I'm not entirely convinced he DOES know who his preferred half backs are but that's more to do with inconsistent form than ability.)

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's not rotating because he doesn't know his best team*, he's rotating because Georgia and Uruguay are both shit and he just wants to keep everyone fresh without being TOO complacent in either game and probably trying out some different combinations en route. 

The team he played vs Wales will be what he thinks is his best team* for this WC. 

England will be runaway favourites though for sure. England do have a problem with getting a good lead and then just collapsing, mind, so Australia's bench will give Eddie headaches if they don't cut that shit out. 

Unless Hooper & Pocock have the games of their lives and England completely forget to tackle Kerevi (a la Wales second half) I'd probably say England by 10+.

(*tbf I'm not entirely convinced he DOES know who his preferred half backs are but that's more to do with inconsistent form than ability.)

Yh understand that bit. I think a lot will also depend if the ref will have control of the Aussies or let them get away with murder, that could also disrupt the game.

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Yh understand that bit. I think a lot will also depend if the ref will have control of the Aussies or let them get away with murder, that could also disrupt the game.

Two things are completely certain about next Saturday:

1. The ref will be painfully biased towards Australia. 

2. 90% of Australian rugby fans will be up in arms when they lose claiming the ref was crap and cost them the game and refusing to admit England are just the better side. 

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Two things are completely certain about next Saturday:

1. The ref will be painfully biased towards Australia. 

2. 90% of Australian rugby fans will be up in arms when they lose claiming the ref was crap and cost them the game and refusing to admit England are just the better side. 

Don't generally have a problem with Australians (have quite a few friends over there, and not being English I don't have any issues with them anyway, no rivalry) but after watching the Wales vs Australia game they were really getting on my nerves.

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Don't generally have a problem with Australians (have quite a few friends over there, and not being English I don't have any issues with them anyway, no rivalry) but after watching the Wales vs Australia game they were really getting on my nerves.

I think Aussies as people are fantastic, they're just both the worst winners and worst losers in sport. 

Back when they routinely used to wallop us, I never really understood why the English often had a lot of vitriol for them. 

But the state of their fans after their last few games with us. And the chip on the shoulder lingers, on r/rugby there were floods of Aussies watching our Fiji game complaining about every single tackle a Welsh player made, every single decision the ref made, all completely ludicrously through the most insane bias eyes I've ever seen. 

It was like it on r/cricket after England won the world cup too. The Kiwis were all really decent and complimentary about England and Stokes. The Aussies were ****ing screeching the place down about how unfair it was, the ball hitting Stokes bat shouldn't count, super over is bullshit, etc. 

And you're like - boys, you weren't even playing. :dunno:

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think Aussies as people are fantastic, they're just both the worst winners and worst losers in sport. 

Back when they routinely used to wallop us, I never really understood why the English often had a lot of vitriol for them. 

But the state of their fans after their last few games with us. And the chip on the shoulder lingers, on r/rugby there were floods of Aussies watching our Fiji game complaining about every single tackle a Welsh player made, every single decision the ref made, all completely ludicrously through the most insane bias eyes I've ever seen. 

It was like it on r/cricket after England won the world cup too. The Kiwis were all really decent and complimentary about England and Stokes. The Aussies were ****ing screeching the place down about how unfair it was, the ball hitting Stokes bat shouldn't count, super over is bullshit, etc. 

And you're like - boys, you weren't even playing. :dunno:

Sums it up very well

Part of me hopes Japan wins our group for three reasons:

1 - If we get knocked out, I'd rather get knocked out by NZ then SA

2 - It would be on Saturday. Piss up from 8am for England v Aussies followed by NZ Ireland, prob in bed before the 3pm kick offs....

3 - Would be happy for the hosts and they'd have more chance vs SA than NZ