Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Rugby world cup 2019

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I say we retaliate.

The English line up for round of Agadoo.

I would pay all of the monies to see Manu Tuilagi lead a full on conga round a complete circle around the All Blacks doing the haka if you meet in the semi final. 

I mean. That'd basically win all of sport right there. 

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Don't get me wrong - I like the haka and I'm interested in the tradition that it has, I just think that it has value as a psychological tool before the match and as such the opposing teams should be able to respond like for like.

The haka only has power because the All Blacks have power. Its not the haka that's scary it's the near unbeatable team doing it. 

Nobody watches the Sipi Tau and thinks, uh oh boys, we're in trouble here. 

As others have said, I'm not sure it particularly frightens any modern athlete in 2019, certainly not any tier one pro that's seen it many times. They'll be stood there thinking about the game to come. 

And you can respond in kind. I gave you several examples of quite interesting responses to what is, essentially, a challenge. It's just most teams rarely bother. 

Wouldn't surprise me if either Eddie (semis) or Gats (if final) try something because they're absolute WUMs but eh. 

• Like 2

But just a bit of context. 

England:

Genius. England lost 25-8

Ireland:

Brilliant. Ireland lost 23-6.

Wales:

Genius. My favourite for obvious reasons. Did seem to rattle them as well, we started brilliantly. 

We lost 29-9.

There's a trend there no? 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm surprised you missed the Irish haka. 

Ha you're right, I remember watching that in the SU pub when we were avoiding an essay with a deadline due the next day. Munster almost won that match and all!

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

Just now, ScouseFox said:

i mean that is a quite blatant red card. probably ruins what might've been one of the better contested games of the group stage though. 

Yeah it's a shame. 

Believe it or not, I want England to win (I don't want England in the quarters, ngl and I can't see Argentina and France both beating you) but yeah this game had the potential of a great spectacle. 

Bit of a shame. 

Just now, ScouseFox said:

i mean that is a quite blatant red card. probably ruins what might've been one of the better contested games of the group stage though. 

...Coming soon to a professional rugby club near you. (assuming you weren't up there). 

How much can VAR learn from TMO? Utterly beyond me why this isn't the adopted model. 

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

...Coming soon to a professional rugby club near you. (assuming you weren't up there). 

How much can VAR learn from TMO? Utterly beyond me why this isn't the adopted model. 

again though it's easier in rugby because there are questions to ask and when you all agree on the answers then you get the same decision. was it high, did he hit his head, was there a mitigating factor etc. the same as cricket; was the front foot ok, was it pitching in line, was there a sound on snicko etc.

in football it'd be what, did he make contact with the player? yes? but was it enough contact to go down? was he already falling down? i think it's a penalty. well i don't. great, cheers. 

Guest MattP
7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Don't get me wrong - I like the haka and I'm interested in the tradition that it has, I just think that it has value as a psychological tool before the match and as such the opposing teams should be able to respond like for like.

If you are a professional rugby player in 2019 I doubt you are so mentally feeble that the haka would take any effect on you.

If it does you probably shouldn't be on the pitch.

The big difference in VAR in football against technology in rugby/cricket/ pretty much most sports is that rugby and cricket have a lot of natural stoppages whereas football doesnt, which makes it harder to find the balance between checking decisions and letting the game flow. 

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

again though it's easier in rugby because there are questions to ask and when you all agree on the answers then you get the same decision. was it high, did he hit his head, was there a mitigating factor etc. the same as cricket; was the front foot ok, was it pitching in line, was there a sound on snicko etc.

in football it'd be what, did he make contact with the player? yes? but was it enough contact to go down? was he already falling down? i think it's a penalty. well i don't. great, cheers. 

One of the main differences is you can hear the deliberations in rugby. The system is far better...and the crowd are informed throughout. 

Just now, Line-X said:

Aimless box kicks again.

But they are dictating the tempo and controlling the game. 

It does make you wonder how / why Youngs is always an automatic pick. His box-kicking is often poor....and I say this as a Tigers fan.