Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
isaidno

Rugby world cup 2019

9 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

this could easily have been 100-0 if scotland could catch the ball. 

some of the samoan tackles again. love them guys. this number 11 has literally just two foot tackled someone. 

Such a shame what's happened to Samoan rugby. Always used to be such an exciting and unpredictable team full of super stars. 

I also felt for the winger with the slide tackle. He committed but then Maitland dived...meaning he had to try pulling out the tackle whilst going full speed, causing the football style slide 😂 poor lad. Replay in slow mo didn't help again 

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Any idea what Lineker tweeted, it seems to have disappeared

He implied he'd laugh if facing the haka. 

It was a pretty dumb tweet. Not least because I doubt any 5'8, 10 stone athletes would really stand opposite the All Blacks laughing at them whilst they're psyching themselves up for kick off. 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It was a pretty dumb tweet. Not least because I doubt any 5'8, 10 stone athletes would really stand opposite the All Blacks laughing at them whilst they're psyching themselves up for kick off. 

The haka is also pretty dumb though.

32 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be fair, it is a cultural thing. Abusing that is pretty low.

Yet Silva is getting a really hard time for a tweet he posted because it has been deemed racist.

Lineker's comment has a lot more potential for being offensive/abusive than Silva's but it seems acceptable to people. This is one of the things that is wrong in this world. Abuse/offense only seems to be frowned upon if it is of a certain type.

I didn't think Lineker was being particularly racist and offensive, just a bit dumb tbh. It was just a comment that made him look a bit silly. 

People get a bit over-protective of the haka sometimes. 

If it's okay to poke a bit of fun at a Morris dancer then it's okay to poke a bit of fun at a war dance, it's folk art essentially, whether you claim there's ancestor veneration or some spiritual meaning to it or not and half the blokes doing it for the All Blacks are ethnic British migrants whose ancestors colonised the country whose culture they're borrowing. 

That's not to say I don't like it, I love it, I just don't think it should be immune from a bit of piss taking. Poking fun at it is certainly a long way from comparing your black friend to a racist caricature (for the record, I don't think Bernardo Silva is necessarily a hideous racist but that's another discussion for elsewhere.)

Lineker's comment was just a bit daft because it was so boring, stereotypically "football fan laughing at rugby" and a bit keyboard-warriorish in the sense of making a bold, brave claim that he'd never, ever back up in real life. Faced with the real intensity of a pumped up ABs, I highly doubt Mr Lineker would be giggling. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

IMO the haka is used much more as a psychological weapon than for any element of tradition these days and teams should be able to react to it in whatever way they wish as long as they don't actually go into the NZ half or there's any physical contact.

Indeed, I don't see why teams feel compelled to stand in front of it and watch. Surely the best response is to ignore it or at least appear to - stay down by your goalposts and chat amongst themselves, have a huddle and a team talk or even just turn your backs and ignore it. Then when they're finished pratting about the game can start.

Maybe there's a gentleman's agreement to watch it idk

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Indeed, I don't see why teams feel compelled to stand in front of it and watch. Surely the best response is to ignore it or at least appear to - stay down by your goalposts and chat amongst themselves, have a huddle and a team talk or even just turn your backs and ignore it. Then when they're finished pratting about the game can start.

I'm sure a team did that? And didn't Eddie Jones say to do something similar?

Anyone that thinks the best response to the haka is to ignore the haka doesn't follow enough rugby. 

Unless you've got the genius of Peak Campo, you're probably best just standing there respectfully and watching it. Do a bit of visualisation in your head, look around and picture the start of the match, prepare mentally, but don't be downright disrespectful. 

Going off and doing a warm up down the other end while the ABs are doing the Haka is rugby's equivalent of Arsenal taking post game selfies when they beat us. Its a red rag to a bull, its ridiculous. 

Personally, I also think it's rude. I think teams should respect the haka but I also think that the All Blacks should respect that it's a challenge and that people are fine to respond to it in any way that's appropriate for their own culture. 

Cockers going and eyeballing his opposite number, that's genius. Linking arms as a team and slowly walking towards the All Blacks in a front of solidarity (I think that was France?) that's genius. Doing your own war dance at the same time, that's genius. Wales' refusal to move before the All Blacks did AFTER the haka, genius. 

Crowds singing national anthems or hymns during the haka? Great. Any way you feel like throwing a challenge back, do it. They don't have exclusive rights to having culture and honour. 

But being a sassy bitch about it, turning your backs, ignoring it etc? Bit rude. Shouldn't be banned but should also be treated with the eye rolling it gets from most fans. 

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I think most times people have reacted to it in a way deemed disrespectful they've suffered a few injuries and a crushing defeat. I think the Wales reaction to it was the best one IMO. 

Guest MattP

If you don't respect, feel uncomfortable or enjoy the Haka then I think you lack a sense of tradition and history.  Its a wonderful part of the sport and just a quick wiki gives you the sense of importance it holds to the nations who do it.

When it departs as it inevitably will (image in my head of an opposition player filming it with his tongue out laughing in 2027) rugby will have lost something. 

Edited by MattP

I don't see why you think it will inevitably depart tbh, the sport loves it. 

And its not alone btw, the sipi tau, siva tau and the cibi are also great and even more so when they're actually performed against one another. 

They've done them before where they literally go at the same time and the crowd goes ****ing bonkers. Cracking stuff.