Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
E.Rose

US Sports Teams Worth Watching?

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place to post, it's a mix of sport/holiday/general chat so I'm torn trying to decide the best place.

My question is... I'll be going to the US for the first time in October, it's always been a dream of mine to watch an NBA game but I accept that may not be possible as I cannot see the schedule this far in advance and my flights are already booked, I was wondering if anyone has been to watch any sports teams of any kind in San Fran or LA?

I'm a big fan of sport in general so i'd be happy to consider any options that are suggested. I did look at LA Galaxy but it seems their season ends the weekend I get there so that'll be a no 😭 

If anyone has any ideas of where I could go i'd be happy to hear them 😊

Thanks, Ell 

19 minutes ago, E.Rose said:

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place to post, it's a mix of sport/holiday/general chat so I'm torn trying to decide the best place.

My question is... I'll be going to the US for the first time in October, it's always been a dream of mine to watch an NBA game but I accept that may not be possible as I cannot see the schedule this far in advance and my flights are already booked, I was wondering if anyone has been to watch any sports teams of any kind in San Fran or LA?

I'm a big fan of sport in general so i'd be happy to consider any options that are suggested. I did look at LA Galaxy but it seems their season ends the weekend I get there so that'll be a no 😭 

Thanks, Ell 

American Football is big in that area. 

NFL -

49'ers in San Fran 

Ram and the Chargers in LA. 

If you wanted to go to a college football game (really good experience and cheaper ticker prices) You have UCLA and USC 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Thanks, Ell 

NBA teams will be playing preseason games in October so there is still a chance you could catch either the Lakers or Clippers or Golden State Warriors. If you are willing to venture slightly further the Sacramento Kings could be an option.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Thanks, Ell 

USC are playing Cal in LA in October 2020. College football games always look like they have a great atmosphere. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, E.Rose said:

Thanks, Ell 

Just a FYI - I assume you're maybe flying into one city and driving to the other, but it is like a 6+ hour drive depending on traffic. 

That said, I'm about to write you a novel, so buckle up lol 

Also, i apologize for being very American for the rest of this post. 

NFL - (LA Chargers, LA Rams, SF 49ers.)

I wouldn't concern myself with the teams that are playing, since you will not care as a neutral fan. Tickets and concessions will be expensive. If you want to go, just be prepared to shell out $100 per person on tickets, and $8-$12 per drink inside the stadium. California is one of the highest cost of living places in America, so everything will be on the expensive end (think London). That said, you will get a little more bang for your buck based on your stronger currency and our relatively lower sales tax. 

Where to sit - Being high up in a stadium isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the closer you are to mid-field the better angle your view will be. If you are in the "end zone," it will be like sitting behind the goal at a premier league match. When the ball is on the other side of the field you will be watching the game on one of the big TVs. 

College Football - (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal). 

This is low-key the best American sport, and viewing experience. 

By "College," we Americans mean university. This is technically an amateur sport played by university students. However, in the real world, this is the developmental league for the NFL. These players train in multi-million dollar training facilities that would make Top blush, and they and play in stadiums with attendance up to 110,000 people. If the NFL is the premier league, this is the championship.  

The NFL has long since been turned into a corporate viewing experience (insert all the same complaints you hear about the premier league.)  So what does college football have, that the NFL does not? Marching bands, rowdy student sections, supporters that sing, families that have had season tickets for decades, and football players that are still playing "for the love of the game." 

If America had a Wembley stadium, it would be the Rose Bowl. It is a stadium built in 1922, and has a capacity over 92,000. Each year, the winner of the Pac 12 and Big Ten conferences meet on New Years Day to play. It's hard to relay how important this stadium and this game is, other than to just say it's similar to the FA Cup Final.  I dream of the day I can go and watch my Alma Mater play there.

That said, UCLA plays it's regular season games there, like Tottenham did at wembley, so you can at least sit in the stadium and take it all in. Just look at it :jawdrop: 

Image result for rose bowl mountain view"

The most important thing, college football or NFL, is the pre-game tailgate. Do people in the UK tailgate? Do people know what that word means? Basically, it is a party outside of the stadium that happens prior to the game. The game is often a let down compared to the atmosphere and fun that takes place beforehand. Though the culture of tailgating differs between teams, most football stadiums have parking lots or grassland areas that surround the stadium that people park their cars and trucks on. The word "tailgate" comes from the door on the back of the truck that folds down. People then sit in their truck bed and drink beers before the game. I promise it's not as trashy as it sounds lol

Football fans go all in on tailgates, I am talking showing up 6-8 hours before the game to set up tents and fire up the barbecues. Now you are probably not going to have the desire or the equipment to replicate that, but don't let that stop you. Even if you do not know anyone, Americans are friendly and we love people with British accents. If you show up with beer, there will be plenty of locals that would love to show you the ropes.

Pictured - people having fun:

Image result for college football tailgates"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Must admit I'm not a fan of LA, although it was many years ago I was there, so after a couple of days I jumped on a train and headed south to San Diego. After a few days debauchery across the border in Tijuana, ended up at a baseball game, San Diego Padres vs Florida Marlins. Not a fan of the game but was an experience. Several tiers of the ground were given over to the military (large Naval base in SD) as I recall, who got a great welcome at the start of the game.

• Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of any of the core american sports, but i do watch a fair bit of MLS, and as I've said in a few other threads on here over the years, I've become a bit of a fan of the Portland Timbers . I know its not one of the iconic American stadiums, but watching the Timbers play an MLS game at Providence Park is high up on my sporting bucket list - especially since it's been recently renovated and expanded.

EDIT - Just re-read the OP and realised you wanted recommendations for LA/SF, so i'd recommend watching LAFC/Galaxy/SF Earthquakes when the Timbers come to visit :D

Edited by TiffToff88
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I went to see the SF Giants at AT&T park, it's a stunning stadium view wise with the bay bridge in the background. Don't plan on getting leathered though as the beers were about $12 a bottle. lol 

Thanks! I'll take a look, and no problem re the beer prices as I'm a non drinker anyway, saves me a fair bit of money :thumbup:

23 hours ago, goose2010 said:

American Football is big in that area. 

NFL -

49'ers in San Fran 

Ram and the Chargers in LA. 

If you wanted to go to a college football game (really good experience and cheaper ticker prices) You have UCLA and USC 

I didn't even think of college games being an option, I always assumed they were just for the students there but i'll look into it, thank you!

22 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Shame it's October. Baseball is great for a day out, although the sport is boring as fcuk

As for footy, they have a playoff system - so Galaxy or LAFC might play after those dates 

Good to know, I won't cross Galaxy off my list just yet then lol

22 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

NBA teams will be playing preseason games in October so there is still a chance you could catch either the Lakers or Clippers or Golden State Warriors. If you are willing to venture slightly further the Sacramento Kings could be an option.

Yeah I know it's just more that my itinerary is so full already, I just feel it's going to be my luck that they play the day after I leave or something in one of those areas, fingers crossed though!

21 hours ago, bovril said:

USC are playing Cal in LA in October 2020. College football games always look like they have a great atmosphere. 

Noted - thank you!

19 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Just a FYI - I assume you're maybe flying into one city and driving to the other, but it is like a 6+ hour drive depending on traffic. 

That said, I'm about to write you a novel, so buckle up lol 

Also, i apologize for being very American for the rest of this post. 

NFL - (LA Chargers, LA Rams, SF 49ers.)

I wouldn't concern myself with the teams that are playing, since you will not care as a neutral fan. Tickets and concessions will be expensive. If you want to go, just be prepared to shell out $100 per person on tickets, and $8-$12 per drink inside the stadium. California is one of the highest cost of living places in America, so everything will be on the expensive end (think London). That said, you will get a little more bang for your buck based on your stronger currency and our relatively lower sales tax. 

Where to sit - Being high up in a stadium isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the closer you are to mid-field the better angle your view will be. If you are in the "end zone," it will be like sitting behind the goal at a premier league match. When the ball is on the other side of the field you will be watching the game on one of the big TVs. 

College Football - (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal). 

This is low-key the best American sport, and viewing experience. 

By "College," we Americans mean university. This is technically an amateur sport played by university students. However, in the real world, this is the developmental league for the NFL. These players train in multi-million dollar training facilities that would make Top blush, and they and play in stadiums with attendance up to 110,000 people. If the NFL is the premier league, this is the championship.  

The NFL has long since been turned into a corporate viewing experience (insert all the same complaints you hear about the premier league.)  So what does college football have, that the NFL does not? Marching bands, rowdy student sections, supporters that sing, families that have had season tickets for decades, and football players that are still playing "for the love of the game." 

If America had a Wembley stadium, it would be the Rose Bowl. It is a stadium built in 1922, and has a capacity over 92,000. Each year, the winner of the Pac 12 and Big Ten conferences meet on New Years Day to play. It's hard to relay how important this stadium and this game is, other than to just say it's similar to the FA Cup Final.  I dream of the day I can go and watch my Alma Mater play there.

That said, UCLA plays it's regular season games there, like Tottenham did at wembley, so you can at least sit in the stadium and take it all in. Just look at it :jawdrop: 

Image result for rose bowl mountain view"

The most important thing, college football or NFL, is the pre-game tailgate. Do people in the UK tailgate? Do people know what that word means? Basically, it is a party outside of the stadium that happens prior to the game. The game is often a let down compared to the atmosphere and fun that takes place beforehand. Though the culture of tailgating differs between teams, most football stadiums have parking lots or grassland areas that surround the stadium that people park their cars and trucks on. The word "tailgate" comes from the door on the back of the truck that folds down. People then sit in their truck bed and drink beers before the game. I promise it's not as trashy as it sounds lol

Football fans go all in on tailgates, I am talking showing up 6-8 hours before the game to set up tents and fire up the barbecues. Now you are probably not going to have the desire or the equipment to replicate that, but don't let that stop you. Even if you do not know anyone, Americans are friendly and we love people with British accents. If you show up with beer, there will be plenty of locals that would love to show you the ropes.

Pictured - people having fun:

Image result for college football tailgates"

Wow - thanks for taking the time to write this, and no worries for it being a 'novel' it's interesting to read about sport over there.

I've had a look into the Rose Bowl and it does look incredible doesn't it? I need to go back over everything you've written when I've got 5 minutes without any distractions but it sure looks like there's a lot of tips there for me, thank you!

17 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

San Fran 49erz

Thank you!

16 hours ago, The Syrup said:

Must admit I'm not a fan of LA, although it was many years ago I was there, so after a couple of days I jumped on a train and headed south to San Diego. After a few days debauchery across the border in Tijuana, ended up at a baseball game, San Diego Padres vs Florida Marlins. Not a fan of the game but was an experience. Several tiers of the ground were given over to the military (large Naval base in SD) as I recall, who got a great welcome at the start of the game.

Are the trains reliable over there? I didn't consider that as a travel method to be fair as I assumed everything was so far apart it'd be one hell of a journey. Worth considering though if you'd recommend it?

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm not a fan of any of the core american sports, but i do watch a fair bit of MLS, and as I've said in a few other threads on here over the years, I've become a bit of a fan of the Portland Timbers . I know its not one of the iconic American stadiums, but watching the Timbers play an MLS game at Providence Park is high up on my sporting bucket list - especially since it's been recently renovated and expanded.

EDIT - Just re-read the OP and realised you wanted recommendations for LA/SF, so i'd recommend watching LAFC/Galaxy/SF Earthquakes when the Timbers come to visit :D

No worries! I'm enjoying reading these replies anyway, I've noted those teams you've mentioned and will look into them further, thanks!

1 hour ago, E.Rose said:

Are the trains reliable over there? I didn't consider that as a travel method to be fair as I assumed everything was so far apart it'd be one hell of a journey. Worth considering though if you'd recommend it?

LA to San Diego is about 3 hours by train. US intercity trains aren't as fast as the UK as a rule, but comfortable. Amtrak Pacific Surfliner service is what you want. Can't remember the price as it was many years ago I did it, don't think it was unreasonable though.

https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/

Theres always Greyhound or Megabus coaches if you're on a budget

• Like 1

Did 3 games/matches when I was there.

Basketball (Lakers) - Pretty terrible tbh, I wish this was hyperbole but by far the loudest the crowd all night got was when the score met whatever the criteria was to get some 99 cent tacos for free

Baseball (LA Dodgers) - Sport is not exactly exciting but found the experience as a whole pretty enjoyable

Hockey (San Jose Sharks) - Was really disappointed in this, thought that the game and the crowd would be the closest experience to football, but it was just flat. In fairness, the team had already qualified for the play offs so it was a bit of a dead rubber and may not have been a good representation.

Also had a tour of AT&T stadium, and an unofficial nosey round Oakland Colosseum, and to be honest I enjoyed both of those more than the matches we went to.

Edited by potter3

20 hours ago, potter3 said:

Did 3 games/matches when I was there.

Basketball (Lakers) - Pretty terrible tbh, I wish this was hyperbole but by far the loudest the crowd all night got was when the score met whatever the criteria was to get some 99 cent tacos for free

Baseball (LA Dodgers) - Sport is not exactly exciting but found the experience as a whole pretty enjoyable

Hockey (San Jose Sharks) - Was really disappointed in this, thought that the game and the crowd would be the closest experience to football, but it was just flat. In fairness, the team had already qualified for the play offs so it was a bit of a dead rubber and may not have been a good representation.

Also had a tour of AT&T stadium, and an unofficial nosey round Oakland Colosseum, and to be honest I enjoyed both of those more than the matches we went to.

Ahhh don't say that, I'm looking forward to possibly being able to go even though I'm a Heat fan. I guess if I go expecting people to only be cheering over free tacos then I won't be disappointed :thumbup: