Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

pubhistoryproject.co.uk/2019/04/29/cattle-market-bar-counting-house-almond-road/ 

It's unclear but it seems to have been a place of refreshment for the traders at the cattle market. I believe it may also have been where money was counted for the sale and purchase of livestock.

It was,did my work experiance at the slaughter house there!The bacon cobs were brilliant!

19 hours ago, davieG said:

May be a black-and-white image of one or more people, street and text that says "PICTURE ALFAKO Leicester Storyofleicester.info"

A view of the Picture House cinema from Granby Street, circa 1970s.
The Picture House opened in December 1910, running until June 1973. It was a splendid example of 1920s luxury cinema, even with the original secondary 'gas' lighting still in use.
Most of the building is now gone but the back facade was retained and is visible from Every Street in Town Hall Square.

Another angle

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors

Me and 3 mates got refused entry here being accused of causing trouble there the week before, couldn't convince them it wasn't us.

• Like 1

May be an image of outdoors

Top pic is looking up Welford Rd.The prison is on the rear left.The lovely building on the left is the tollgate house with a loaded wagon on the weighbridge outside.Aylestone Rd veers off to the right and its where maybe 5 years later in 1915 The Junior Training Hall was built on the junction to meet the needs of WW1.This building would become known as The Granby Halls.Bottom pic shows how it was in later years.The car is coming out of Lancaster Rd at the side of the prison and to the right of the toll gate house we have Welford Rd Recreation Ground

Roller skating at Granby Halls

The Tinder of it's day on a Sunday afternoon, with nothing else open and then down the pub and/or the Netflix of the day.

May be an image of one or more people and people standing

• Like 2

On 30/09/2021 at 10:45, davieG said:

The Tinder of it's day on a Sunday afternoon, with nothing else open and then down the pub and/or the Netflix of the day.

Bloody hell the roller skating at Granby Halls brings back childhood memories It was a birthday treat where my parents would take me and a few friends too before going out for a meal. Spent most of the time on my arse though, didn't it later get turned into a fake ice ring?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Bloody hell the roller skating at Granby Halls brings back childhood memories It was a birthday treat where my parents would take me and a few friends too before going out for a meal. Spent most of the time on my arse though, didn't it later get turned into a fake ice ring?  

I think they did at Christmas, wasn't taken over by the Basketball team or was that another hall in there.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

It was replaced by a new fangled plastic called Glice.

Supposed to replicate the gliding sensation like on ice but failed spectacularly.

Hard work & not as much fun as roller or ice skating, it didn't last too long.

• Like 1

Will we ever see this again 

May be an image of standing, outdoors and tree

Skating on ice Abbey Park 1950s

I remember Groby Pool being frozen over with hundreds of people on it.

Horserider watches skater at Groby Pool 28 Jan 1966

Horse rider watches skater at Groby Pool 28 Jan 1966

I have  memory of ‘glice’ skating there too

On 04/10/2021 at 09:45, davieG said:

May be an image of outdoors

On 04/10/2021 at 13:23, Free Falling Foxes said:

Buildings behind the clock tower look fabulous. 

When you compare it with the monstrosity that took their place, as your earlier post does - :cry:

Lovely buildings, most bulldozed for "development". Leicester could have been the Chester of today if only some one had true insight into keeping the esoteric and historic buildings we had, now gone forever. Such a shame.

• Like 4

Wasn't that stopped because of some paedophile DJ ? (Not Saville BTW)

On 04/10/2021 at 13:23, Free Falling Foxes said:

Buildings behind the clock tower look fabulous. 

When you compare it with the monstrosity that took their place, as your earlier post does - :cry:

Indeed.

What the City Council did to Leicester in the 60s is the architectural equivalent of drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa with a marker pen. 

• Thanks 1