Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Anyone got some crap local news stories that isnt on angry people in local newspapers?

Love local outrage at menial things.

My post is aimed more at people who know or have heard of those involved in the article ...   

Tried to find "other news" topic but it appears closed.

While this is not particularly relevant to UK... it is worth noting.

News Ltd/Corp is owned by Rupert Murdoch, he made his name in newspapers in OZ before destroying the world with Fox and sky etc. At his peak in Australia, he reached nearly 70% of the population through his newspapers in every city and town, many places had only one source and that was the corrupt news ltd product.

Today they have announced the closure of hundreds of titles (obligatory, sorry to the 'good" people who will lose their jobs) due to loss of revenues, blamed mostly on Covid but it has been clear for years they were struggling, in fact when i worked there back 90s-00s we predicted 2020 as beginning of the end, with newspapers completely gone by 2030. So we are pretty much on track.

Keep an eye on Sky/Fox for a HUGE reduction in sports rights $$$. They are a dying industry and it will require the streamers to pick up and take over. This could play havoc with club revenues and absurd wage and transfer deals.

In the end... good! I hope that Murdoch and his crooked family lose everything, they have cause more damage and harm than Covid.

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and-marketing/jobs-expected-to-go-in-news-corp-restructure-20200527-p54x1s?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=nc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1590570164

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but I get the impression that the titles affected are local newspapers, not the main organs of Murdoch propaganda.

Also I thought his son had expressed concern recently about the general climate change denial position taken by the empire, so I was hoping that any imminent generational change (hasten the day :fc:) might be for the good.

Anyone hailing the closure of local newspapers, no matter who owns them, is an idiot.

In many places they are the only entities which hold local authorities to account, speak up on behalf of their area and keep people informed of what's going on in their community.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Anyone hailing the closure of local newspapers, no matter who owns them, is an idiot.

In many places they are the only entities which hold local authorities to account, speak up on behalf of their area and keep people informed of what's going on in their community.

Anyone who believes that Murdoch and his evil empire is speaking on behalf of anyone other than the rich/corporate is a simpleton.

Edited by ozleicester

21 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Anyone who believes that Murdoch and his evil empire is speaking on behalf of anyone other than the rich/corporate is a simpleton.

I take it you don't actually read one of the local newspapers his company owns then?

I've actually taken the time to look at the digital editions of some of the papers affected this morning. All I can see is good, honest reporting on local issues and no kind of corporate or political agenda within their pages at all.

Those are now communities which won't have that as a result. Now, I'm no fan of Murdoch and find it grotesque that his company has decided to cut costs in this way - but actively celebrating it is frankly a ludicrous thing to do for anyone who genuinely cares about democracy.

21 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I take it you don't actually read one of the local newspapers his company owns then?

I've actually taken the time to look at the digital editions of some of the papers affected this morning. All I can see is good, honest reporting on local issues and no kind of corporate or political agenda within their pages at all.

Those are now communities which won't have that as a result. Now, I'm no fan of Murdoch and find it grotesque that his company has decided to cut costs in this way - but actively celebrating it is frankly a ludicrous thing to do for anyone who genuinely cares about democracy.

I sold for, worked on, and managed more than a dozen of them over 10 years in 2 states.

I know full well what he and his papers and employees do.

I celebrate the crumbling of an evil empire.

• Like 1

The world  of social media is a strange foreign place too me

At work we received an email vehemently disclaiming a social media post that the company I work for (Or at least some arm of it) is responsible for the COVID-19 Track and Trace App

:blink:

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I sold for, worked on, and managed more than a dozen of them over 10 years in 2 states.

Hard to argue with that.  It would be amazing if something local could be built in it's place - especially as online there aren't the publishing costs etc that eventually take down such empires when nobody is buying.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Hard to argue with that.  It would be amazing if something local could be built in it's place - especially as online there aren't the publishing costs etc that eventually take down such empires when nobody is buying.

Indeed!

In fact the scumbag bought many of these local papers quite recently and his cuts and profit squeezing is a much bigger part of their collapse.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The world  of social media is a strange foreign place too me

At work we received an email vehemently disclaiming a social media post that the company I work for (Or at least some arm of it) is responsible for the COVID-19 Track and Trace App

:blink:

Social media is full of poorly researched stories and massive bias.  Sounds like someone at your company really doesn't like the government. Hopefully the company who are building the app are proud of their work in helping contain the virus and the good that will do to many people.

Just now, ozleicester said:

Indeed!

In fact the scumbag bought many of these local papers quite recently and his cuts and profit squeezing is a much bigger part of their collapse.

It wouldn't surprise me if he bought them to kill them off to be honest.  Push everyone into one national news pipe with different branding on the front which he now owns.

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he bought them to kill them off to be honest.  Push everyone into one national news pipe with different branding on the front which he now owns.

You are not the first to suggest it... and im not in a position to disagree.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Social media is full of poorly researched stories and massive bias.  Sounds like someone at your company really doesn't like the government. Hopefully the company who are building the app are proud of their work in helping contain the virus and the good that will do to many people.

Yes, I hope so (Author being proud of their creation) but I found it a very strange thing to send out, unless it was intended to forewarn staff of potential previously unexpected interest in their company/activity.

9 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Fair play, I struggle to argue against that. But surely a part of you feels sorry for the people put out of work?

As someone else mentioned, someone needs to step in to fill the news void in those communities. Democracy dies in the dark.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Fair play, I struggle to argue against that. But surely a part of you feels sorry for the people put out of work?

As someone else mentioned, someone needs to step in to fill the news void in those communities. Democracy dies in the dark.

If you read my original post, i expressed sorrow for good people that will suffer. OF COURSE i feel for them.