Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

This is likely repeating myself - but again, I think there are only two explanations for Trump responding in the way he has with November on the horizon.

The first is that he has miscalculated how this will affect him electorally and in terms of attracting new voters rather than ones already in his voter base, as well as getting people to vote against him that didn't in 2016. I would have thought he would have people around him telling him exactly this, so I'm not sure how likely it is.

The second (more scary) possibility is that he knows he doesn't need to care about the response because plans are in place that will make absolutely sure he'll win in November anyway, no matter how he addresses what is going on now or at any time between now and November.

If there's a third or fourth possibility I've missed here, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

The Diocese of Washington, whose Church it is, is now on CNN saying she's outraged at what he did and denouncing Trump. Saying the church in no way supports it. 

Maybe this time he's gone one step too far? 

1 minute ago, Guesty said:

The Diocese of Washington, whose Church it is, is now on CNN saying she's outraged at what he did and denouncing Trump. Saying the church in no way supports it. 

Maybe this time he's gone one step too far? 

I wish I could believe that - but then there have been so many times in the past that really should have been "gone one step too far" that weren't, apparently. Mocking a disabled reporter really should have been the beginning and end of it all, for instance.

I guess we'll find out. November can't come quickly enough.

44 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This is likely repeating myself - but again, I think there are only two explanations for Trump responding in the way he has with November on the horizon.

The first is that he has miscalculated how this will affect him electorally and in terms of attracting new voters rather than ones already in his voter base, as well as getting people to vote against him that didn't in 2016. I would have thought he would have people around him telling him exactly this, so I'm not sure how likely it is.

The second (more scary) possibility is that he knows he doesn't need to care about the response because plans are in place that will make absolutely sure he'll win in November anyway, no matter how he addresses what is going on now or at any time between now and November.

If there's a third or fourth possibility I've missed here, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

3) He is as thick as pig sh1t and really has no clue what he is doing?
4) he is a cvnt and doesn't care about anything or one but himself

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

3) He is as thick as pig sh1t and really has no clue what he is doing?
4) he is a cvnt and doesn't care about anything or one but himself

They both play into the first possibility. Perhaps people around him have tried to tell him but he simply hasn't listened. Which would be all to the good, because it would lead to him being out on his ear in Nov.

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think this is probably correct, but I'm again not sure about how effective it will be in this era without additional shenanigans on the side.

Based on this afternoon, I think he's committed to it.

35 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Based on this afternoon, I think he's committed to it.

I would agree. And the confidence with which he engaged in that commitment scares me a little because it does imply that he and those around him know something about how November will play out that we don't.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I would agree. And the confidence with which he engaged in that commitment scares me a little because it does imply that he and those around him know something about how November will play out that we don't.

I don't believe that they've ever intended to give up power.

7 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I really don't want to believe that's true, because if it is dark times lie ahead no matter what road is taken.

But it is possible enough to be scary.

4 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Absolutely.

No way he's going quietly in November.

I know we are looking at this from the outside, but Trump doesn't look as if he would be adverse to a bit of a civil war breaking out. 

Too dramatic? How does it look from where you are?

10 minutes ago, Milo said:

Absolutely.

I know we are looking at this from the outside, but Trump doesn't look as if he would be adverse to a bit of a civil war breaking out. 

Doubt it. Better to quash those responsible against the backdrop of tabloid righteousness.

Trump is a hard line capitalist so local disruption is inconvenient, foreign stuff like wars are $$$ though

He does seem to be getting pretty desperate. Their polling must indicate he's quite a way behind in the important states. He basically needs a major event to swing things back in his favour but everytime he tries to do something it makes it far more difficult for himself especially as he couldn't get his war with Iran. Trump needs the black community to stay at home if he wants to win the election, so the timing of this could not be worse for him, people are going to be angry.

If it becomes clear that he's going to lose then I fear as to what he's going to do. That period between the election and January could be the bleakest in modern American history. 

Edited by Lionator

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Absolutely.

If there is going to be a illegitimate seizure of power, then I would think it would be more likely to be legislative and sneaky rather than full on fire in the streets (mostly anyway) simply because it has a better chance of success.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

He does seem to be getting pretty desperate. Their polling must indicate he's quite a way behind in the important states. He basically needs a major event to swing things back in his favour but everytime he tries to do something it makes it far more difficult for himself especially as he couldn't get his war with Iran. Trump needs the black community to stay at home if he wants to win the election, so the timing of this could not be worse for him, people are going to be angry.

If it becomes clear that he's going to lose then I fear as to what he's going to do. That period between the election and January could be the bleakest in modern American history. 

This is the point I was trying to make earlier - this spinning out of control will do nothing but hurt Trump electorally, so why let it happen? Is it that he's no longer in control of events? That he's deluded or miscalculated himself into thinking this will actually benefit him?

...or is it that he has a plan in place that will allow him to maintain power no matter what and render what he does now irrelevant?

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Absolutely.

Going away quietly, definitely not!  Heck he will be super active on social media ripping the next president to shreds. Obama has been mainly quiet like most presidents are after they leave but he has chimed in and to be honest i don't blame him.

For those saying he or the Republicans would attempt to keep power come on guys that wont happen.  That would be suicide by the republican party and would be a civil war that nobody wants. The military would not back Trump. The agencies that trump has thrown under the bus (FBI etc) wouldnt support him. Only his white supremacists gun carrying fans would.

Excuse my ignorance, just reading about Posse Comitatus and its exception, the Insurrection Act, but this sounds like a HUGE deal should Trump invoke it.  :blink:

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Don't you think the GOP rather than the electorate will get him gone eventually?

If it came to him trying to keep the presidency beyond his term, yes.

Outside of that they the cant be bothered