Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Chippies

5 hours ago, Manini said:

lol don’t think we ever had a decent football team the three years I was there, didn’t take much interest in Rugby and the cricket team we didn’t have a wicketkeeper and no proper gloves so first game in year 7 I had to stand behind the stumps in batting gloves until the school could order some more. 

Yeah we were normally awful, remember a goalpost crossbar splitting in half and cracking the keeper on the head once on the fields and knocking him out, about summed up the standard. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

They go wappy for a place called Murgatroyds up here.

It’s the biggest con going. I can’t stand the sit in chippy model that Leeds and Bradford have coined, there’s a reason nobody under the age of 75 knows what Harry Ramsdens is! Weatherby Whaler and Mother Hubbards can go the same way for all I care too. Chippys in Yorkshire are crap. 

• Like 2

Yorkshire chippies also don’t do pies and apparently everyone up here just thinks that’s normal and I’m ****ing sick of it tbh. 

I‘ll be more specific, West Yorkshire chipper’s don’t do pies. I bet some in Sheffield do. 

Edited by Manini

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Yorkshire chippies also don’t do pies and apparently everyone up here just thinks that’s normal and I’m ****ing sick of it tbh. 

I‘ll be more specific, West Yorkshire chipper’s don’t do pies. I bet some in Sheffield do. 

During a boating holiday on the Thames, me and some mates went into a chippy in, I think, Henley.

The looks we got when we asked for a black pudding.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Parkdale Ave, not far from Main.

Much better than Hutches, yeah lol

I usually go to Lucky's here in Stoney Creek though, since it's closer to me. Also really good.

Never heard of them so will try them out next time i visit the inlaws in hamilton. My wifes sister inlaw is going into labour today so that might be sooner as they live in hamilton. Woot!

Where is luckys google says binbrook?

Edited by Jattdogg

26 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Never heard of them so will try them out next time i visit the inlaws in hamilton. My wifes sister inlaw is going into labour today so that might be sooner as they live in hamilton. Woot!

Where is luckys google says binbrook?

They have two locations.

There's one at Barton and Gray's Rd.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 15:02, Finnegan said:

They go wappy for a place called Murgatroyds up here. In true Yorkshire fashion it's pretty overly elaborate with a big restaurant bolted on the side and everyone will tell you it's the best chip shop in the world. 

Don't have the heart to tell them there's probably five better in Charnwood alone. 

You want the Wetherby Whaler in Guiseley Finners :thumbup:

On 09/11/2023 at 18:50, Manini said:

Plenty of West Yorks chippies do pies mate. Not sure why you’d want a pie from the Chippie mind you :ph34r:

On 09/11/2023 at 18:32, Manini said:

It’s the biggest con going. I can’t stand the sit in chippy model that Leeds and Bradford have coined, there’s a reason nobody under the age of 75 knows what Harry Ramsdens is! Weatherby Whaler and Mother Hubbards can go the same way for all I care too. Chippys in Yorkshire are crap. 

Right, I’m usually one to let things slide but you’ve got my goat here lol

Granted the chain chippies are absolutely tosh, nobody who wants proper fish and chips goes to them. 

There’s plenty of superb chippies around (in Leeds anyway), I can’t really speak for Hudds/Halifax. 

They do tend to be smaller traditional ones though, so unless they’re round the corner from you, you’d not know about them. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Plenty of West Yorks chippies do pies mate. Not sure why you’d want a pie from the Chippie mind you :ph34r:

Pie chips peas and gravy would be my go to. I’m yet to find a chippy that does a pie near me (Between Leeds and Bradford), not least a proper Pukka, but to be honest I haven’t been to every single one so yes you’re obviously correct I’d imagine. But it’s a staple of a Leicestershire chippy it’s weird not being able to get it any time you go in to one. 

I’m sure there are loads of local spots which do a good fish and chips, of course. But chippies in Leicestershire are just better mate I can’t lie. The humble chippy is dying out in general anyway, probably, which if you look at it in a certain way is good news as only the best will survive, especially at the prices gaffs are having to charge at the moment. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manini said:

Pie chips peas and gravy would be my go to. I’m yet to find a chippy that does a pie near me (Between Leeds and Bradford), not least a proper Pukka, but to be honest I haven’t been to every single one so yes you’re obviously correct I’d imagine. But it’s a staple of a Leicestershire chippy it’s weird not being able to get it any time you go in to one. 

I’m sure there are loads of local spots which do a good fish and chips, of course. But chippies in Leicestershire are just better mate I can’t lie. The humble chippy is dying out in general anyway, probably, which if you look at it in a certain way is good news as only the best will survive, especially at the prices gaffs are having to charge at the moment. 

You need to try Woodside in Horsforth, it’s not a pukka pie but they do a fantastic slice of steak pie.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 06:30, stretch1965 said:

Chippy in market bosworth do a mushy pea fritter which actually works, well for me anyway. It's a game changer. Everything else is decent too and there is always a queue.

These are incredible. Whenever I'm out that way I always stop off. It shouldn't work but it does 

• Like 1

Down South

Awful chippies, bland & overpriced, avoid.

Midlands

Some very good chippies about but also some awful ones. Generally any chippies offering a 'Meal deal' are going to be poor

My favourite is William Walton's tucked away in darkest Anstey, family owned & ran & quality fish n chips.

Up North

Chain chippies aside, they know what they're doing up north, rarely come across a bad chippy. Whitby does live up to the hype, chips in beef dripping, the bollox.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

You need to try Woodside in Horsforth, it’s not a pukka pie but they do a fantastic slice of steak pie.

You’re actually not the first person to say this to me so yeah I’ll have to go. Some fantastic places to eat in Horsforth to be fair, spoilt for choice! 

On 13/11/2023 at 09:11, Manini said:

Where are these mythical chippies? I don't think I've ever had Fish & Chips in Leicestershire that I would rate above a 6/10. In contrast, I don't think I've had Fish & Chips in the Leeds-Bradford area that I would rate below a 9/10.