Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Chippies

On 26/01/2023 at 13:16, Voll Blau said:

It's a real shitter but still the cheapest form of takeaway you'll find. Sign of the times sadly.

Large cod and chips is £7 from the one we use most regularly and a similar price from our favourite place near our old flat, which we don't use so much as it's a decent drive from where we live now.

Standard size cod & chips was £7.50 last year, on Friday £10 in our village chippy. It was not great either, suspect they are getting on the profits bandwagon. We have many potato fields around us so what is their excuse ? They have lost my business. 

1 hour ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Standard size cod & chips was £7.50 last year, on Friday £10 in our village chippy. It was not great either, suspect they are getting on the profits bandwagon. We have many potato fields around us so what is their excuse ? They have lost my business. 

Do they grow the fish in the potato fields too?

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, westernpark said:

28 minutes ago, westernpark said:

29 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I live in Norfolk where there are campaigns to buy all local produce. However a chippie in Wells next the Sea that has won national awards and is about 30 yards from the fishing boats moored by the quay, but the poster inside the chippie states all their fish comes from Iceland, the country not the shop

On 06/02/2023 at 17:08, Fox1norfolk said:

I dread to think what the energy usage in a chippy is 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, merlin1969 said:

Don't go near the chippie in Narborough ridiculous prices for small portions.

Very greedy owner !!

Not been in since they started charging for parking in Narborough opposite but used to be excellent, I think the prices in all of them have gone crazy cost me £14.40 for 2 of us last week and neither of us had fish.

6 hours ago, merlin1969 said:

Don't go near the chippie in Narborough ridiculous prices for small portions.

Very greedy owner !!

had two pies , large curry sauce , large chips. £12.50. 

defo not small portions. 

price seemed normal in this day & age. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

also always rated it since moved to Narb about two years ago. 

Edited by Filbert_Ross

16 hours ago, Will1981 said:

Not been in since they started charging for parking in Narborough opposite but used to be excellent, I think the prices in all of them have gone crazy cost me £14.40 for 2 of us last week and neither of us had fish.

Pie chips and curry sauce £8

• 6 months later...

If anyone goes to Newark, Angell's Fisheries on Barnby Gate is well worth a visit, had a small haddock and chips the other week, 10/10 for me, gorgeous fish and lovely chips, monster portions as well. They do a home made tartare sauce I'll try next time I visit.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

If anyone goes to Newark, Angell's Fisheries on Barnby Gate is well worth a visit, had a small haddock and chips the other week, 10/10 for me, gorgeous fish and lovely chips, monster portions as well. They do a home made tartare sauce I'll try next time I visit.

Need to get you out more often mate lol

Having said that, you are blessed to have english fish and chips.   They suck over here but now i am craving real english fish and chips. Bloody plane tickets too expensive lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

Chippy in market bosworth do a mushy pea fritter which actually works, well for me anyway. It's a game changer. Everything else is decent too and there is always a queue.

The batter of bosworth?

Amazing name for a chippie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

Chippy in market bosworth do a mushy pea fritter which actually works, well for me anyway. It's a game changer. Everything else is decent too and there is always a queue.

Always had a decent reputation I think. Used to be able to smell it in DT at school back in the day. That’s a bit of nostalgia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Always had a decent reputation I think. Used to be able to smell it in DT at school back in the day. That’s a bit of nostalgia. 

Same here. Would always be allowed some on the way home if I'd played well for the school, which wasn't very often.

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

Same here. Would always be allowed some on the way home if I'd played well for the school, which wasn't very often.

lol don’t think we ever had a decent football team the three years I was there, didn’t take much interest in Rugby and the cricket team we didn’t have a wicketkeeper and no proper gloves so first game in year 7 I had to stand behind the stumps in batting gloves until the school could order some more. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Graceroad said:

Seems to be a dying  trade sadly most chippies  aren't even open  at dinner times anymore.Still represents  the best value for money Fish and chips plus a can of coke for £4 from the chippy on southfields drive near the pork pie library 

When was this, 2007? If it's that price now they'd be queuing round the block!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Need to get you out more often mate lol

Having said that, you are blessed to have english fish and chips.   They suck over here but now i am craving real english fish and chips. Bloody plane tickets too expensive lol.

Tbf he is Tuna

• Haha 1

They go wappy for a place called Murgatroyds up here. In true Yorkshire fashion it's pretty overly elaborate with a big restaurant bolted on the side and everyone will tell you it's the best chip shop in the world. 

Don't have the heart to tell them there's probably five better in Charnwood alone. 

Edited by Finnegan