Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Chippies

57 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I’m sure my favourite was near the Spen Lane area Kirkstallish.Near the river???It’s the batter I love.The fish would melt in the mouth.It was so good i’d buy the fish without the chips.Bit of salt loads of vinegar.Spot on.Not strictly Leeds but Otley had two crackers.One was like a sit down job.The other was not much bigger than my front room.Both different class to anything south way.

Interesting, more west park way by the sounds of it. That makes sense if it’s out of town and in a suburb I don’t often visit. If I’m ever over that way I’ll be sure to keep my eye out. 

Good to see there are still so many good chippies in Leicestershire. I remember the Grimsby in Welford Road from the 70s and it is twice the size now, with twice the queues.

When I lived in Yorkshire I was never more than walking distance from a good chippie. Haddock, chips and mushy peas are my favourite.

It is a different story now I am back in the West Country. When I moved to Shepton twenty years ago it had a population of about 5,500 and three chippies.

Its population has doubled with middle class blow-ins from London and Bristol but there is only one chippie left.

Same story in the local pubs. I used to go once a week for fish and chips and a pint but many pubs have either closed or gone to boutique nouveau cuisine or whatever it is fashionable to call it this year. I don't know where they expect to get their boutique nouveau customers from but there aren't a lot of them around here. £14 for fish and chips in a pub with a mingy little spoonful of mushy peas and they can stick it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hope it's temporary, fear it's permanent......my traditional post match destination (after a few pints in the Kings Head) :(

2014621973_thumbnail_IMG_0356(1).jpg.94d9f057359d0213fc47f0e571a171d2.jpg

Me on Sunday..........

nooooo.jpg.7019b36be2dbc6c83ea81b3bf450b4ae.jpg

Without walking to Grimsby Fisheries on Welford Road there aren't many traditional style ones left now :dunno:. Suggestions welcomed (other than "try salads, they're healthier).

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Grimsby Fisheries - still delivering the same high level quality as it always has. 

Agree.

But always thought that Hercules staue was quite creepy in the restaurant..lol (Is it still there?)

Edited by Wymsey

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Mountsorrel chippy is class 

How you could be that fvcking close to Rothley and mess up is beyond me. All you had to do was go a mile down the road and you got it wrong. Tragic. 

Was it @Nick trying to convince everyone that Birstall was the best? What a clown.

Now that I'm officially a Birstollian (?) I can confirm that opinion is still ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

How you could be that fvcking close to Rothley and mess up is beyond me. All you had to do was go a mile down the road and you got it wrong. Tragic. 

Was it @Nick trying to convince everyone that Birstall was the best? What a clown.

Now that I'm officially a Birstollian (?) I can confirm that opinion is still ridiculous. 

Rothley well over rated mate. Gone way downhill. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bert said:

Rothley well over rated mate. Gone way downhill. 

Agreed, used to be a standout chipshop but I went once or twice during 2020-21 and it was not the same. I have colleagues who live in Rothley and they went recently and said it's just not the same anymore. Also even after lockdown restrictions were lifted they were still making people queue out in the cold and ordering on their phones, which was not worth the hassle for bog-standard fish and chips. Never tried Mountsorrel, but it always smells decent when I drive past

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Birstall-born people will always insist it's the best plaice (sorry) around, but I lived there for 7 years and was always disappointed. Good service but rubbish chips, always felt like they were using those crappy new potatoes which are just tough and don't crisp up or plump up like a good chipshop chip should. When Bain's was open, they did really good chips but once I went and had visibly under-cooked chicken and a beef and onion Pukka Pie that tasted of cheese. Never went again and it closed pretty sharpish after that

I was born and raised in Sileby, and Sileby Fishbar used to be the tits. It's still good but now run by different people to the old days, they're not quite as generous as the old owner

John Dory in Quorn is quality, but they often sell out of stuff very early in the evening. Outstanding chips

Syston Fish Bar - the absolute WORST chipshop I've ever used. Inedibly undercooked chips, stingy portion, battered sausage that tasted like it had been heated for 24 hours

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Why are you dragging me back in to an argument you lost some 15 years ago?

Seriously though, I've not had anything from Birstall Fisheries for many a year. I don't understand chip shops anymore. They sit in villages at weekends with people coming out the pubs from 9-11.30pm and yet shut at eight o clock.

Anyway, I've moved to North Yorkshire.

You can keep your midlands-based chips.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/07/2020 at 22:56, los dedos said:

Leicester has actually had a great rep for fresh fish/seafood.  It is something to do with it being the first major City they stopped south of Grimsby when all the trucks were travelling down towards London. 

Literally a few hours after coming off the trawlers !

Strangely it's almost impossible to find a decent chippy in London. If you do strike lucky you have to pay close to £20 for fish n chips. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Smh. 

Next you'll be throwing shade at Bucks or the Grimbo. What is this heresy. 

Depends which bucks. You just concentrate on failing to qualify for another World Cup. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Better than Trev’s on Woodgate?

The fish is better IMO, but chips are on par. Living in Western park for years, that was the place to go. We didn’t have a good one nearby, until Frydales opened. Always nice walking to get some, rather than having to drive somewhere.