Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Chippies

Nowhere near us does decent fish. Seems like the days of frying fresh fish are long gone as they all use frozen which fvck up the batter. If I’m paying the prices they now ask, I want top quality fish - it’s like they are trimming the cost up and quality down to maintain profits. I understand it, but I’m not paying for it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Nowhere near us does decent fish. Seems like the days of frying fresh fish are long gone as they all use frozen which fvck up the batter. If I’m paying the prices they now ask, I want top quality fish - it’s like they are trimming the cost up and quality down to maintain profits. I understand it, but I’m not paying for it.

Sizes of fish have changed.  Prices of EVERYTHING have gone up.

Not surprising, chippies have to live too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Sizes of fish have changed.  Prices of EVERYTHING have gone up.

Not surprising, chippies have to live too.

I can deal with portion changes, it's the quality dropping off a cliff I'm not paying for. 

Nick's on Rockingham Road in Kettering used to be outstanding, the only one worth using. The last two times we bought fish they were dreadful too. Given I'm meant to be losing weight, this is actually a good thing as it's removed temptation.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FLAN said:

8.20 for large cod. Used to be a working class takeaway 

It's a real shitter but still the cheapest form of takeaway you'll find. Sign of the times sadly.

Large cod and chips is £7 from the one we use most regularly and a similar price from our favourite place near our old flat, which we don't use so much as it's a decent drive from where we live now.

3 minutes ago, somebum said:

Haven't had takeaway fish and chips for a long time, always make my own. Very easy to do.

What do you do?

Put it in newspaper and then walk round the block??

Do you have any white paper??

Put the plates in the Oven to keep them warm for when you get back?

Industrial size salt pot??

Wooden forks??

Brilliant idea.....:D

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

What do you do?

Put it in newspaper and then walk round the block??

Do you have any white paper??

Put the plates in the Oven to keep them warm for when you get back?

Industrial size salt pot??

Wooden forks??

Brilliant idea.....:D

Dont forget the pickled onion the size of a cricket ball

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

He just referred to visiting friends at the time. Did mention that with two Spanish managers in the midlands, he was going to be in the area a lot. 

Yeah heard he’s joined a Leicester sports team, so just presumed from that, he’d moved to the area.

10 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Bizarre moment in the excellent Nook Chippy, Cosby the other week. 

I was stood next to Guillem Balague of Spanish football journalism fame in the queue!

Fantastic bloke, loves his Guinness (as well as football). Had business dealings with him, back in 2014 (?).  What impressed me then was he was trying to make openings for Spanish football commentators, as well as push his own product.    

• Like 1

We've been a few times to Roxy Chippy (has it always been called that?) near the KFC on Narborough Road. Not been for a while, but always done the job after watching the game for some comfort lollol.

Fish can be quite oily but the chips have always delivered. 

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We've been a few times to Roxy Chippy (has it always been called that?) near the KFC on Narborough Road. Not been for a while, but always done the job after watching the game for some comfort lollol.

Fish can be quite oily but the chips have always delivered. 

Roxy closed down now. They shut up around November saying they were back in early December, but they never came back and now the To Let signs are up.

• Sad 1