Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Soarvalleyfox

5th place, highest scoring away win, Europe, and golden Boot winner!

8 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I just don’t see how you can be pleased about Europa League if it’s supposed progress for Leicester City.

This season was a potential inflection point for English football. Manchester United were as weak as they’d been in a long time with Champions League being a key determining factor on how quick their journey back would be. Tottenham were in turmoil and are Mourinho era failure away from losing a grip on regular top 4. Arsenal walked into it with question marks over Emery and have had half a season in transition under Arteta. Chelsea had Lampard appointed on sentiment with no guarantee he would deliver.

The only thing that stops these clubs dominating over us is if we deny then Champions League revenue and take it for ourselves. We haven’t.

Lampard is now splashing cash at Stamford Bridge and will have even more at his disposal. Man United will likely spend as well with Champions League on offer there. Not to mention that Wolves are only getting stronger and Spurs, Arsenal, Everton and potentially even Saudi-rich Newcastle could all come on way stronger than this season.

You don’t break those power structures without taking opportunities like the one we had: both in terms of the start we had and the state of the other key players in and around the level we wanted to be at.

It’s a question of what you want Leicester City to be. If you (unlike our owners) don’t believe it’s possible for us to break into that top 4/6 ‘elite’ then be delighted with Europa League. If you want to think big then you have to feel a little disappointed.

Yeah. We have wasted a golden opportunity and blown it. 

• Like 1

It is wrong to blame Corona Virus for our fallout from the Champions League. We were 9 point from 9 games since the restart. We were 15 points from 13 before that. I think the reason people didn't realize we were falling is because we had points to spare from 5th (or 6th given Man City's circumstances) place.

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

It is wrong to blame Corona Virus for our fallout from the Champions League. We were 9 point from 9 games since the restart. We were 15 points from 13 before that. I think the reason people didn't realize we were falling is because we had points to spare from 5th (or 6th given Man City's circumstances) place.

It's NOT! It was not entirely to blame but it was a SIGNIFICANT factor.

It not only stalled what may have been the momentum we seemed on the cusp of regaining by trashing Villa in the last pre-lockdown game, but the lockdown afforded our closest rivals the opportunity to recover some vital walking wounded. Sans Covid and the attendant lockdown, we would have played Spurs and Man U without Kane, Son, Lucas, Rashford, Pogba, etc.  Now, there's no certainty it would have changed much (except of course for Kane's two goals and the OG off Son's shot, as well as the two key final passes that Lucas made to Kane for each goal), but I would like our chances much better. 

Edited by NaijaFox

21 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

It not only stalled what may have been the momentum we seemed on the cusp of regaining by trashing Villa in the last pre-lockdown game, but the lockdown afforded our closest rivals the opportunity to recover some vital walking wounded. Sans Covid and the attendant lockdown, we would have played Spurs and Man U without Kane, Son, Lucas, Rashford, Pogba, etc.  Now, there's no certainty it would have changed much (except of course for Kane's two goals and the OG off Son's shot, as well as the two key final passes that Lucas made to Kane for each goal), but I would like our chances much better. 

C'mon don't do this. Spurs and Man U were the last 2 games for the original schedule for May 10 and 17th that were instead in the 2nd half of July. Man U haven't lost in January. Hard to argue lockdown effected them. Even so with Spurs our game was 2 months after the lockdown started. Too many what ifs. If you wanted to argue that we lost our 1 game momentum for Watford after Villa if entertain it but you chose 7 games later.

In 1927-28 season we came 3rd in the top league

In 1928-29 we came runners up

in  1962/63 we came 3rd In division 1

Where is all this talk about our 2nd highest ever position coming from?

Did football not count before 1992.

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

Shall we start a law suit against covid-19?

I think there's an element of clutching at straws here fella. We were poor since Xmas with the occasional decent game, let's face it Villa we're awful at that point that's why we battered them, not necessarily because we were awesome. Since Xmas we have been down a slippery slope. Covid or no covid we would have struggled. 

46 minutes ago, dayday said:

Premier League Era I assume. Some of us weren't even alive before 1992

48 minutes ago, dayday said:

Well okay in history we had loads of European football and regularly challenged! Ummm... whether we are talking 92 or not... top 5 is still a great finish 

1 hour ago, NewEnglandFox said:

C'mon don't do this. Spurs and Man U were the last 2 games for the original schedule for May 10 and 17th that were instead in the 2nd half of July. Man U haven't lost in January. Hard to argue lockdown effected them. Even so with Spurs our game was 2 months after the lockdown started. Too many what ifs. If you wanted to argue that we lost our 1 game momentum for Watford after Villa if entertain it but you chose 7 games later.

It was, but Kane was deemed out for the season if it had ended in May. Think of us losing Vardy and it's the same effect (and not just the goals btw).

Yes, there are "too many what ifs" but that includes the reality of the lockdown, which had no positive impact on our playing staff, but had significant positive impact on our rivals. It was not just about the one game between us and them, but all the other games since they got the full complement of their players back healthy (heck, Pogba returned from the lockdown "a new man" in attitude and application). 

Edited by NaijaFox

32 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Shall we start a law suit against covid-19?

I think there's an element of clutching at straws here fella. We were poor since Xmas with the occasional decent game, let's face it Villa we're awful at that point that's why we battered them, not necessarily because we were awesome. Since Xmas we have been down a slippery slope. Covid or no covid we would have struggled. 

I make it a habit to ignore childish nonsense. Have a good day dude. 

3 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

I make it a habit to ignore childish nonsense. Have a good day dude. 

That's great and good for you. That statement was just to point out the pointlessness of your statement however...... Dude:rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well okay in history we had loads of European football and regularly challenged! Ummm... whether we are talking 92 or not... top 5 is still a great finish 

It is a great finish, im not disputing that, the fact is we have had 3 previous higher finishes, I think it totally disrespects the Leicester City teams of old when people just brush it a side like it never happened.

The lasting feeling for me is disappointment because whilst all those achievements in your title are amazing especially vardy, it kind of feels we fluked it and our luck run out and we really are average at best. Injuries are not the answer as we were injury free for a long time and playing badly, Chilwell, Ricardo, maddison in side. 

I think this form will continue,  win one , drop points in next 3, and Rodgers will go next season, in the middle of it. The problem with him is behind the mask , he isn't a great coach. He doesn't motivate the players to great things and tactically he certainly has shortcomings. I don't think he's the sort to adapt/evolve himself either. 

And I'm fatigued that we will then be on another rebuild job with our old stars probably over the hill and bright lights probably with top 4 sides.

13 minutes ago, dayday said:

It is a great finish, im not disputing that, the fact is we have had 3 previous higher finishes, I think it totally disrespects the Leicester City teams of old when people just brush it a side like it never happened.

Well people brush Liverpool’s 18 titles aside... the PL is what Sky focuses on, but what is more annoying is we have won 2 league cups and the PL, which is better than spurs but still ignored lol 

12 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Nothing to do with corona. Could see this coming a mile off (I personally put money on us not finishing top 4 on the way back from a dismal defeat at Burnley) and that’s the concern: this wasn’t over a condensed lockdown spell, it’s been since December and we’ve not been able to address it.

If you’re happy with 5th then it’s a small-time mentality. I get it’s a decent consolation but if you’re willing to ignore the last 19 games because we managed to still end up 5th despite being so poor for so long then you’re kidding yourself.

Yes, second half of the season has been a disappointment. 12th in the table over just this period.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=20&max=38

Still, overall a good finishing position that we would all have taken before the season started. Vardy golden boot, Europa League to look forward to, just hope we can hang on to our players.

Finally, young James Justin and Luke Thomas might not be the finished articles, but are excellent finds.

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, second half of the season has been a disappointment. 12th in the table over just this period.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=20&max=38

Still, overall a good finishing position that we would all have taken before the season started. Vardy golden boot, Europa League to look forward to, just hope we can hang on to our players.

Finally, young James Justin and Luke Thomas might not be the finished articles, but are excellent finds.

Yes I agree with this. Both have done well since coming into the team. From the little we have seen of Hirst, I think it's still early for him. Perhaps a loan deal out. I feel for Justin to be honest as next season if Ricky is fit, Ricky starts all day long. 

12 hours ago, hejammy said:

ended up with a 4 out of 10 even after you've made all that effort

What if the 4/10 was a wonderful individual who loved you, LCFC and Model Railways (dont ask) and the 10/10 was s mean gold digging bitch who prefered rugby, dispises football and doesnt know an A4 from an A3.?

1 minute ago, sishades said:

What if the 4/10 was a wonderful individual who loved you, LCFC and Model Railways (dont ask) and the 10/10 was s mean gold digging bitch who prefered rugby, dispises football and doesnt know an A4 from an A3.?

I've always loved that egg shaped ball tbh and at the moment I also dispise football lol