Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Soarvalleyfox

5th place, highest scoring away win, Europe, and golden Boot winner!

16 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Actually no... Its like if you were a 2 out of 10

..but then you fixed up your teeth, hit the gym and perhaps got some plastic surgery (got a good owner and attracted some decent talent and won the league) Then dated a 9 out of 10 for 80% of the time and then ended up with a 4 out of 10 even after you've made all that effort hitting the gym and spending money on sorting your face out 

🤨

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I don't get that though, we have only so many chances to get back into the champions league. This was it, the competition will change you only get moments like this. In the championship you'd always have a chance of getting out of the league. I'm not UNGRATEFUL for any form of EUROPEAN football let's not get it twisted, but I don't get this relentless mindset to switch it round and go "yeah we've massively ****ed a season,but europa is good" and so soon after the match, I just don't understand, i'm so confused.

I don't disagree with everything you're saying. I get that emotions are high so soon after a match but many of us have seen missing out on the top 4 coming for a while now unlike the Deeney day when the realisation of what the next season would bring hit us in a matter of seconds. I'm gutted we've missed out and I'd be concerned if this form goes into next season but I believe we will get another chance of CL one day with the way the club is heading long term. EL represents both a missed opportunity plus a step in the right direction to this club's long term goal of getting back to CL

14 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Absolutely. I remember being told by a Burnley fan that I was too negative when I told him we would finish 5th or 6th after that game but it seemed inevitable to me, and we haven't improved since.

I'm worried about us taking this form into next season.

Me too. And we are right to be.

Several of those who put cash on us at 5,000/1 did so because of the form at the end of the season before. Several of us put money on top 4 last summer because of how we ended last season.

By the same logic, it wouldn’t be such a wild suggestion for us to take what will probably be quite decent odds on relegation next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kristianity77 said:

To be fair , that's not strictly true.  You say we need champions League to add to the core of he squad (which is deemed good enough) yet we didn't have champions League to get those players in. If our scouting system is good enough, champions League football doesn’t really matter in getting excellent players in.

Well, as the season has shown, an excellent core is NOT sufficient.

We need much more than just a core, and while good scouting is obviously key (albeit the same scouting system that recruited that excellent core also recruited some truly terrible players), the lore of CL footy always enhances prospects with recruitment (especially of quality overseas players) and retention.

Edited by NaijaFox

3 hours ago, Blueman1967 said:

If you happy with 5th great, but there was Champions League there, still losing to the big teams, when it matters

Not only losing to the big teams bottom ones too we seem onlycapable of beating middle of the table sides which admittedltly  can get you in the top six in a poor season

41 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Not only losing to the big teams bottom ones too we seem onlycapable of beating middle of the table sides which admittedltly  can get you in the top six in a poor season

We took seven points off the six other sides in the top 7. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It’s a question of what you want Leicester City to be. If you (unlike our owners) don’t believe it’s possible for us to break into that top 4/6 ‘elite’ then be delighted with Europa League. If you want to think big then you have to feel a little disappointed.

I think that’s what we all aspire to achieve. The conundrum in there is that even if we do crack it on a consistent basis, is then consistently finishing in the top four. We could finish 5th/6th every season and play Europa League every season, and people would moan that we weren’t top four. If we ended up feeling disappointment with that, I don’t think anyone would ever be satisfied. Today hurts, to give away the opportunity hurts, to miss out on the financial benefits and prestige is frustrating. If by some miracle we manage to turn our form around and finish top six next season, would we be non plussed at Europa League again, or would we be happy with consecutive top six finishes? Should we be asking questions and be concerned - absolutely. Is the squad good enough overall - absolutely not, and if we are honest it hasn’t been good enough for a couple of years for what we are aiming for, and has certainly been a contributing factor to our demise. Barnes, Chilwell, Thomas, Justin have done well in spells over the course of the season, but when they need taking out of the firing line, what is there to replace them? Albrighton, Fuchs, Morgan (love them for what they’ve achieved), Gray, Bennett are lower/mid table support, and we can’t shift the likes of Ghezzal, Silva, Slimani, Diabate, and probably James off the wage bill. That’s a lot of players to come in to improve the first eleven and the squad overall. It’s not going to happen over one window, but it shows the work that needs to be done. By no means does it let them off the hook, because we have had some absolute stinkers since the turn of the year. Even with that backup we should be getting better results against the bottom three which might have got us over the line. Whether you see it as a positive season or a unacceptable collapse, either way there is a hell of a lot of work to be done going forward 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Imagine this apologist, defeatist mentality in the squad in 15/16. 

"2nd place! Best ever finish! Vardy scored 20!" 

Stop dressing it up for anything it's not. It's shit and you know it.

I posted this on another forum, there is people who say we shouldnt expect a league position above our natural position, I said if we had that attitude in 2016, then we would have downed tools, with 40 points achieved at the new year and no title.

One should always strive for the best possible.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Whether you see it as a positive season or a unacceptable collapse, either way there is a hell of a lot of work to be done going forward 

As with everything, I think you can be totally gutted at the collapse yet overall take a lot of positives.

Fan mentality is generally that everything is either "amazing" or "shiit" but it's possible to find a middle ground.

We've made shedloads of progress overall from when BR came in but gone backwards in the context of how the season was playing out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As with everything, I think you can be totally gutted at the collapse yet overall take a lot of positives.

Fan mentality is generally that everything is either "amazing" or "shiit" but it's possible to find a middle ground.

We've made shedloads of progress overall from when BR came in but gone backwards in the context of how the season was playing out.

100% Geoff 👍 we were fantastic up to Christmas, but I don’t think it was sustainable with the depth and overall quality of the personnel available. The interesting bit now is how we build going forward. A European campaign isn’t a bad place to start, but I certainly understand the anger and frustration of some. This club is still building, it isn’t the finished article like the competitors, but getting that top four finish potentially helps that build go a little bit quicker. Hopefully we are able to strengthen given the current climate, new faces will certainly give the group a lift 

• Like 1

What’s also got to be remembered is we are not in a position to go and throw around big money every time there is a problem like United and  Chelsea.

We also won’t be able to have a huge squad as players will be happy to be in the bench at United, we will never have the luxury of being able to have complete strength in depth in every position like this teams.

We also haven’t put out our strongest XI since December with injuries to key players. 
You take 6 of the first XI out of any side including 3/4 ot the back 4 any team in the world would struggle.

I for one am proud of what we have a achieved this season and very much look forward to next season and watching us back in Europe.

• Like 1

If we had showed this kind of poor form at the beginning of the season and finished as-well as we started, 5th place would feel like more of an achievement to be fair. You can't deny we missed a massive opportunity here, one that's going to be immensely hard to get again but we are ahead of our long term goals considerably and most importantly we are a financially stable club who have got in the mix without risk taking; desperately trying to live up to the premier leagues way of doing things.

A missed chance yes but I fancy us to get another one sooner than the so called chasing pack.

Up the foxes. 

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

If Man United win the Europa this year they get automatic entry to the Champions league... what would happen to their current slot for 4th?

Nothing. If they had finished 5th and won it I think we would have lost our C/L place but we're not due any favours unfortunately.

Hope that cheers you up.