Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

3 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

He's having to play defensively, because he knows that if he plays a back four, with the likes of Maguire, Chilwell, Dier/Mings, and Walker) we will be ripped apart at international level

For me you play to your strengths, and that is our attack... Southgate has been playing this formation even against teams like Denmark and Iceland; we looked lost and total rubbish in all of them. 

• Like 2

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

There is definitely an element of English players looking better for their clubs because of what they are surrounded by. I would put Sterling in that category. 

You can say that about most english players and every England side for the last three decades though. That tells me it's not the players but something more systemic.

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So whose the other options then on the wing?  

You are selected on the basis of your club form which Sancho has done consistently better than any other English winger. 

Club form is fair comment but when you get to international level you you have to affect the game.

Grealish the obvious example. He also brings creativity from wide as he does on the left for Villa.

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

There is definitely an element of English players looking better for their clubs because of what they are surrounded by. I would put Sterling in that category. 

I agree. Think he has scored 13 international goals in 58 games. Most of his goals have been against the likes of Kosovo, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Montenegro. He's scored twice against Spain - that's it against the top sides

Southgate’s successful spells with England stem from using the players you’ve got and putting them in a system what worked for them. 

The World Cup - the 3-5-2 worked a treat to cover the lack pace at central defence whilst utilising players like Trippier in their best manner. Practice set pieces to the hilt 

Nations League wins over Spain and Croatia saw an insistence to use the speed of Rashford and Sterling on the counter. Worked like a dream. 

This 3-4-3 has so many players in wrong positions and a sheer lack of balance. It neither protects the defence or allows creativity. 

Just now, StevieLynex said:

I agree. Think he has scored 13 international goals in 58 games. Most of his goals have been against the likes of Kosovo, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Montenegro. He's scored twice against Spain - that's it against the top sides

Your turning statistics to suit your narrative here. How many goals has Harry Kane scored in the same time and what about the role Sterling has played in a lot of those? Sterling is the best wide player England have got, quite comfortably.

Guest StevieLynex
1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Your turning statistics to suit your narrative here. How many goals has Harry Kane scored in the same time and what about the role Sterling has played in a lot of those? Sterling is the best wide player England have got, quite comfortably.

Kane 50 appearances, 32 goals

In my opinion this should be our team

Pope

TAA Mings Gomez Chilwell

Henderson

Grealish Maddison

Sancho         Kane       Sterling

That team challenges for world cups when on half decent form with an attacking manager. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest StevieLynex
Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Which is a tremendus return at international level, most of those goals, playing alongside Sterling, who is contributing to a potent attack, which gets missed looking at static statistics. You've still not suggested who replaces Sterling.

There's no one to replace him, because he's the best there is but this does not make him world class

2 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Pope

TAA Mings Gomez Chilwell

Henderson

Grealish Maddison

That team challenges for world cups when on half decent form with an attacking manager. 

Maddison doesn't get near the England squad at the minute. Also you'd get absoluely murdered playing essentially 5 attacking midfielders/strikers, particularly with that defence. England need to play two holding players to protect the weakest area of the side, the defence.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Maddison doesn't get near the England squad at the minute.

He's been alright for the club TBF but pop in any midfielder with an Iota of attacking and forward thinking ability in that role and we have a decent side. IMO Maddison can get in if Mount does.

Edited by Fightforever

Guest StevieLynex
3 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Pope

TAA Mings Gomez Chilwell

Henderson

Grealish Maddison

Four defenders, three of whom cannot defend and the other one plays for a side that just avoided relegation last season. 

Just now, Fightforever said:

He's been alright for the club TBF but pop in any midfielder with an Iota of attacking and forward thinking ability and we have a decent side.

He's not regualrly starting games for Leicester at the minute, he doesn't deserve to be in the squad until he is palying regularly and returns to the form on 12-18 months ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He's not regualrly starting games for Leicester at the minute, he doesn't deserve to be in the squad until he is palying regularly and returns to the form on 12-18 months ago.

More due to an injury he has had and the fact we have been playing a different system than him being bad tbh.

5 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Pope

TAA Mings Gomez Chilwell

Henderson

Grealish Maddison

I'd have Maguire over Mings but apart from that this is exactly the team I'd pick. Foden could play instead of Grealish or Maddison as well.

This would be my England side with everyone fit and available:

Pope

TAA            Gomez      Dier       Chilwell

Henderson        Rice

Sancho             Grealish            Sterling

Kane

• Haha 1