Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Sancho is class.

The formation and the system just doesn't suit us nor have enough creativity. As soon as we go behind we usually have no chance of turning the game around. Add to this Southgate was never a great manager anyway, he doesn't have enough knowledge to turn the game around with subs or changing the formation.

Grealish was the shining light tonight.

I really think grealish can become as good as gazza, world class in the making, a player you want constantly on the ball driving forward 

• Like 1

Fair play to Grealish, his after match comments were mature, not just a string of cliches,  his absolute love of football comes through as does his pride at playing for his Country.

If we had 11 players with a similar attitude we'd be world beaters and to be fair Maddison has that attitude and following his recovery from injury and return to form he should be in that team now.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The reasons are academic, he's not getting near the England squad while he's not playing regularly for Leicester.

Based on what your saying Maitland Niles shouldn't be in either Maddison has played more games than him. Maddisons played 11 games for us so far while he has played 6.

Edited by Fightforever

27 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not defending it but its the same with most nations, the core of the players come from the bigger clubs.

I'm not sure singling out Sancho though as I don't see too many credible options as opposed to him on the right at the moment. Furthermore some young players tend to need a bit of time to grow into the England shirt, Sterling being an example of this after a good start when he first broke through.

The calls for Maddison are way off imo, he's went back the way the last year or so and has it all to prove again imo. I'm not the biggest fan of Mount but he's done far more than Maddison of late to warrant a place in the squad.

This is absolute rubbish. Mount has done absolutely nothing to even be debated whether or not he’s better than Maddison. 

James is in the top 4 in his position in the prem, unfortunately for him one of the guys above him is also English. 

Mount is the typical average player at a big club that is miles and miles away from actual quality players. 

I remember years ago reading a Barca player talk about Jack whiilshere and how they have hundreds of players like him in Spain.. this is very much the same for mount. 

In terms of real real quality players in that England side, you’ve got Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Henderson and grealish. 

The rest is really not that great. 

In in my opinion mads can and will continue to improve and he should 100% be in contention. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

This would be my England side with everyone fit and available:

Pope

TAA            Gomez      Dier       Chilwell

Henderson        Rice

Sancho             Grealish            Sterling

Kane

Maguire's the only centreback who's actually performed regularly for england (apart from his mare earlier in the tournament), imo it was a big part of why we managed to get 80 mil for him, but anyway he should definitely be ahead of gomez/dier. Honestly i'd put dunk/tarkowski/mings/konsa ahead of those 2 as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Based on what your saying Maitland Niles shouldn't be in either Maddison has played more games than him

Yeah but Maitland-Niles plays for Arsenal. If you play for a 'big 6' team different rules apply. You think that Southgate wouldn't have been starting Grealish long ago if he had played for Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea? I quite like Saka but has he really done as much as Barnes to deserve a call up? Mount and Tomori went straight into the England squad last season after 2 or 3 first team games for Chelsea. You think that's happening for young players at Leicester, Wolves, etc? Meanwhile, players like Winks who is a reserve at Tottenham still get called up every time.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

This is absolute rubbish. Mount has done absolutely nothing to even be debated whether or not he’s better than Maddison. 

James is in the top 4 in his position in the prem, unfortunately for him one of the guys above him is also English. 

Mount is the typical average player at a big club that is miles and miles away from actual quality players. 

I remember years ago reading a Barca player talk about Jack whiilshere and how they have hundreds of players like him in Spain.. this is very much the same for mount. 

In terms of real real quality players in that England side, you’ve got Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Henderson and grealish. 

The rest is really not that great. 

In in my opinion mads can and will continue to improve and he should 100% be in contention. 

If you take your blue tinted specs off ti's really not. Maddison has barely played in a year, Mount has played regularly for a side who finished top 4 and has played and scored in the champions league. I don't think he's all that personally but he's done far more in the last 12 months to merit inclusion than Maddison.

Mount is a completely different type of player to Wilshere.

4 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Maguire's the only centreback who's actually performed regularly for england (apart from his mare earlier in the tournament), imo it was a big part of why we managed to get 80 mil for him, but anyway he should definitely be ahead of gomez/dier. Honestly i'd put dunk/tarkowski/mings/konsa ahead of those 2 as well.

I totally forgot about Maguire sorry, agreed, he'd start.

Disagree with Mings > Gomez. Mings is very lucky to be playing imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Tielemans is becoming a world class player in front of our very eyes. It's funny, if you asked me at the start of last season what it would take for Leicester to seriously make a play for the Champions League places, it would be Tielemans and Maddison making the step up to becoming two of the best in the league. Somehow we did make a play for the Champions League, but both tailed off as the season progressed, and personally I felt like Youri was worse last season than when he first signed for us.

But this season, Tielemans is a completely different beast. Dropping back a little and having Mendy next to him has improved him massively. He went to the Etihad and was the best midfielder on the pitch. He went to the Emirates and played that brilliant ball to Under. He's changing the game for Belgium regularly, etc, etc.

With Tielemans in this form almost anything is possible! He's one of those players that if he plays well, makes 4 to 5 other players around him also play better. I play his position on the pitch at a casual level and I am so impressed with the way he plays... I wish I could do some of the things he can do! Truly brilliant player, a class act both on and off the pitch. Having him here is to be cherished!

Exactly the type of player that would go to Barcelona IMO. Not that he is necessarily good enough yet but he fits the way they like to play perfectly.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Yeah but Maitland-Niles plays for Arsenal. If you play for a 'big 6' team different rules apply. You think that Southgate wouldn't have been starting Grealish long ago if he had played for Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea? I quite like Saka but has he really done as much as Barnes to deserve a call up? Mount and Tomori went straight into the England squad last season after 2 or 3 first team games for Chelsea. You think that's happening for young players at Leicester, Wolves, etc? Meanwhile, players like Winks who is a reserve at Tottenham still get called up every time.

I'm not disagreeing with you but this is what happens wih absolutely every nation, happens with the Scotland team also and we're shit and it happens with Germany, Spain, France, etc, etc too. It's always been this way.

18 minutes ago, Eden De Bruyne said:

It strikes me every time that England is such a bad team with those names. But I thought they were even worse at home.

It's because we still have big problems at youth level moving all the way up to the full team. Over the last 10 years, we have at least sorted out the technical play, younger players like Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Maddison, etc all have the technical capability to match the top players in Europe. But where we fail is that we don't develop players tactically or from a raw understanding of the game. England don't produce players like Tielemans, KDB, Hazard, even Praet that have the understanding of when and where to play the pass, and this is because in England there is still far too much emphasis placed on athleticism and dynamism at youth level than understanding the game. This is a cultural thing with the game here, when teams slow it down and start passing, fans literally start booing! You see it here in every match thread for Leicester!

Ironically I think there is one such player in England, James Maddison but he's not part of the full team yet. If it was me, I'd play him as either a 6 or 10 and have the play come through him. Players like Grealish might be better than him, but a player like Maddison will improve the players around him and feed them the ball.

Belgium did amazingly with their revitalization of their football setup. They learned after the embarrassment of Euro 2000 that changes were needed, and they made all the right calls. They deserve to be the number one ranked team at the moment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Exactly the type of player that would go to Barcelona IMO. Not that he is necessarily good enough yet but he fits the way they like to play perfectly.

Or to Real Madrid to replace Toni Kroos. And given their love for Belgian players, and that Tielemans favourite player is Zidane, I could see that happening!

Youri still has to play to this level consistently, but so far this season he's been very good. But for example, the one stinker he had we got beat 3-0 at home to West Ham, so he needs to cut those sort of performances out. Even the best players have bad games, but when Youri plays badly, he really stinks the place out! Once he gets rid of those he'll be ready. He's still just 23 though, so I could see him staying another 3-4 years. He's the type of player I could see going to one of the super clubs during his prime for obnoxious money, when they need a player to come in and perform immediately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's because we still have big problems at youth level moving all the way up to the full team. Over the last 10 years, we have at least sorted out the technical play, younger players like Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Maddison, etc all have the technical capability to match the top players in Europe. But where we fail is that we don't develop players tactically or from a raw understanding of the game. England don't produce players like Tielemans, KDB, Hazard, even Praet that have the understanding of when and where to play the pass, and this is because in England there is still far too much emphasis placed on athleticism and dynamism at youth level than understanding the game. This is a cultural thing with the game here, when teams slow it down and start passing, fans literally start booing! You see it here in every match thread for Leicester!

Ironically I think there is one such player in England, James Maddison but he's not part of the full team yet. If it was me, I'd play him as either a 6 or 10 and have the play come through him. Players like Grealish might be better than him, but a player like Maddison will improve the players around him and feed them the ball.

Belgium did amazingly with their revitalization of their football setup. They learned after the embarrassment of Euro 2000 that changes were needed, and they made all the right calls. They deserve to be the number one ranked team at the moment.

Have England not perfrmed pretty well at youth level in the last 10 years, a couple of world cups at different levels? Personally I think the major problem is in nations like France, Germany and Spain young players get chances and play 200 odd games by the time they are in their early 20s, that doesn't happen with young English players much at all in the premier league, they end up spending their key developmental years on the bench or bouncing from club to club on loan.

I'm not bashing Maddison on this thread I think the Maddison of 12-18 months ago is a great player but he has a lot to prove again imo and I don't think he and Grealish can play in the same side. 12-18 months ago him and Grealish were neck and neck and in the time since one has kicked on and become one of the league's top players while the other, admittedly through bad luck and injury has stalled. This season is huge for Maddison imo if he is to kick on and reach the level Grealsh has and fulfil his potential.