Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers' instruction to Leicester City scouting team over 'broken' players

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Congerton knew at 15 he was going to be a star, this was Rodgers defence of him at Celtic when fans were going mental about him lol

It's such a bollocks argument as well. He knocked back Real Madrid at 14 so every man and his dog could see he was hugely talented.

If you can spot a Bale, Vardy or Mahrez at 15 when they were doing next to nothing in football then I'll give him some credit. Neymar went to Barcelona not Scunthorpe. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

So why advocate signing him then! Just because Chelsea were daft enough to part with silly money for him doesn't indicate there's a player in there. He's a donkey!

I wasn’t advocating signing him. It was simply an example of the type of player we could go for based on this article.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think this is about reviving the careers of players who have seemingly, for whatever reason, have gone out of form having previously performed at a certain level. This doesn't really apply to Sterling as he was a new kid on the block, though it has to be said, Pep has done a great job with him. Ibe also was an up and coming young player and not one that had hit the heights and come down. As at happens, he's never seemingly progressed to hit the heights anywhere since either!

Yeah, it is debatable as to how much Rodgers got out of Ibe and one can argue the slide was irreversible but I believe Eddi was unable to maintain the trajectory Rodgers set him on which does speak volumes for him getting the best out of limited players whether we are talking from and attitudinal or ability context.

It is widely spoken of up here amongst Liverpool fans that Rodgers saw Sterling’s raw potential early and dismantled and rebuilt his football DNA to ensure he would fulfil it. Yes Guardiola has done a great job but the raw materials he had to work with were honed under Rodgers’ stewardship which may not have been discovered under many other managers. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Yeah, it is debatable as to how much Rodgers got out of Ibe and one can argue the slide was irreversible but I believe Eddi was unable to maintain the trajectory Rodgers set him on which does speak volumes for him getting the best out of limited players whether we are talking from and attitudinal or ability context.

It is widely spoken of up here amongst Liverpool fans that Rodgers saw Sterling’s raw potential early and dismantled and rebuilt his football DNA to ensure he would fulfil it. Yes Guardiola has done a great job but the raw materials he had to work with were honed under Rodgers’ stewardship which may not have been discovered under many other managers. 

That's very interesting. I often wonder what Liverpool supporters think of Rodgers managerial career there as it's not a black and white issue I don't think. The tremendous job he appeared to have done at Swansea secured him that position in the first place. He was blessed to have inherited some good players but nevertheless, it was still under his stewardship that they had that one great season. 

It then seemed to go down hill rapidly? Obviously any team is going to miss the amount of goals and influence lost through the transfers or injury of Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge, though there were other rumours that part of the reason Suarez wanted out was because he just couldn't stand Rodgers. There was also a thought, from an interview with Glen Johnson that certain senior players saw through him as he tried to be a Mourhinio mini me and in the early days, by accident, occasionally slipped accidentally into a Portuguese accent! 

There is also his supposed poor record in the transfer market yes surely he signed some good players like Coutinho and Firminho as well!

Is he a good manager or just a one dimensional system coach? Is he a poor manager but an excellent coach? Is he merely a good manager that’s progressing and learning from inevitable mistakes like any other manager? Or is he arrogant, full of the blarney and merely Teflon because he's an incredibly media savvy conman?

He confuses the hell out of me and I could perhaps make a case for all of them. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Maybe it's Brendan's fault and Congerton is excellent at his job in finding all these broken players, it's Brendan that's the problem in not being able to fix them :P

Whats your view on Castagne and Ünder signing. With us determined to get Fofana, our transfer targets seem a world away from the supposed muck Congerton has been involved in in the past. I know we have more money but so far the profile of our targets seem to match exactly the model we have had for several years now. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Whats your view on Castagne and Ünder signing. With us determined to get Fofana, our transfer targets seem a world away from the supposed muck Congerton has been involved in in the past. I know we have more money but so far the profile of our targets seem to match exactly the model we have had for several years now. 

Agree with you in the main, as much as I'm loathed to do I'd have to give Congerton some credit for Castagne as he was widely known to be on our radar at Celtic and he looks a very good signing. Agree entirely on the other two though, they smack of the model you guys normally follow. I think all of this bodes well tbh as it means Congerton seems to have input but not total control which seems to be working and will limit any damage he can do overall.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It seems reassuring to me. You can never guarantee any transfer can you but at least all these, on the surface seem very plausible. They're a long way from the Slimani and Silva 29yr old type. I think Tah may be an exception to that and doesn't represent good value or recent form and don't see him as an improvement. He has Congerton stamped all over him and we know they have historical knowledge of each other. 

19 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Rodgers’ messiah complex will be a problem for us one day I think.

I still think we'll get another good partial/full season out of him in the next 2 seasons and one of the traditional top 6 will want him and he'll go. That's probably the best we can hope for 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

That's very interesting. I often wonder what Liverpool supporters think of Rodgers managerial career there as it's not a black and white issue I don't think. The tremendous job he appeared to have done at Swansea secured him that position in the first place. He was blessed to have inherited some good players but nevertheless, it was still under his stewardship that they had that one great season. 

It then seemed to go down hill rapidly? Obviously any team is going to miss the amount of goals and influence lost through the transfers or injury of Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge, though there were other rumours that part of the reason Suarez wanted out was because he just couldn't stand Rodgers. There was also a thought, from an interview with Glen Johnson that certain senior players saw through him as he tried to be a Mourhinio mini me and in the early days, by accident, occasionally slipped accidentally into a Portuguese accent! 

There is also his supposed poor record in the transfer market yes surely he signed some good players like Coutinho and Firminho as well!

Is he a good manager or just a one dimensional system coach? Is he a poor manager but an excellent coach? Is he merely a good manager that’s progressing and learning from inevitable mistakes like any other manager? Or is he arrogant, full of the blarney and merely Teflon because he's an incredibly media savvy conman?

He confuses the hell out of me and I could perhaps make a case for all of them. 

General opinion is one of affection. Considered to be genuine and charismatic with a great outlook in how to play. If they get a sniff of being false up here you get found out pretty quickly so that tells you something. He possessed exceptional man management which went a long way and was a good training ground coach but simply put, never had a plan ‘B’ so once the slide set in he was unable to stop it.  Still admired here though.

1 hour ago, TaggertvsWise said:

General opinion is one of affection. Considered to be genuine and charismatic with a great outlook in how to play. If they get a sniff of being false up here you get found out pretty quickly so that tells you something. He possessed exceptional man management which went a long way and was a good training ground coach but simply put, never had a plan ‘B’ so once the slide set in he was unable to stop it.  Still admired here though.

That's good to hear and he always seems to be rated by TV pundits. It was a different challenge at Celtic afterwards, because although he may have been expected to win, arguably against the type of opposition he had and the players afforded to him, except in Europe, perhaps a plan B was rarely required. As well as confident, he does in fairness come across as a thoughtful individual and it goes without saying, he's ambitious. Last years collapse must have come as a huge disappointment for him too so perhaps it's given him time to ponder a plan B if needed. He does of course need the right tools and as our owners clearly aren't going to sack him, then they have to back him as doing nothing would be disastrous. Thus far I think they've made two good signings so let's hope for a third.