Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers' instruction to Leicester City scouting team over 'broken' players

Do we know of any other success stories for Rodgers other than him claiming Routledge? I can remember him weaving his magic with Ballotelli (or not) but are there any other examples good or bad?

I don't disagree that some players sometimes just need a change of club or manager but wondered why Rodgers is implicitly suggesting he's good at this but only evidencing one reasonably decent player.

Brendan is not saying that this is our number 1 recruitment policy now. He is saying this is to form part of the policy. Don’t just look past a player because he is struggling with something elsewhere. 

For Liverpool, everyone will point towards Ballotelli but he also signed Milner, sturridge and Coutinho. 

Arguably, the one player who stands out as “coming into his prime” who flopped massively was Benteke. 

At Swansea the example of Routledge is a good one. At Celtic he was left with a league one budget but with an expectation to progress in Europe - while the rest of the job is easy, that is difficult for anyone. 

Cengiz fits that bill. Castagne doesn’t. Our scouting is not a one man job. There are many voices and many boxes to be ticked. The powers that be are not stupid to let a good thing go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Uh oh. There goes the money ball model. BR really does think a lot of himself. "I can turn this player around, ..."

The money ball model can only get you so far so fast. Look at Liverpool with VanDijk and Allisson. Its about optimising everything. Analytics, coaching and medical talent the kitchen sink everything. Players are multi million pounds investments. No expense is spared.

18 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Jack Hendry is the very definition of broken so £12m and he's all yours Brendan!

Think they meant broken as "had a couple of poor seasons" not broken as " stealing a living as a professional footballer and spends his down time trying to lick his own elbow"....

Edited by Foxy_Bear
  • Haha 1

This is ridiculous. No decent data scientist would argue that statistics are definitive evidence. If that was the case, why for example would you have a scouting network? Most data scientists (myself included) are very cautious in their assessments, especially when discussing human characteristics and skills.  What they  can do is provide you with a framework that then allows you to delve deeper. 

There is also a logic flaw to the argument? How would you determine if a player was once good? Presumably statistical analysis would play a part. If so, his argument is a classic example of confirmation bias. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Which basically is what we are doing isnt it?

Fofana and Castagne wouldnt fit the same profile as under. Rodgers has proved with iheanacho what impact his coaching can have (same with gray as well). 

Yeah exactly. The signings so far fit the recruitment process we've had in place for years and not the worrying muck Congerton has his name to at past clubs. We are a well ran machine on the whole.

28 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

All good and well when you're managing Celtic or Swansea.

Not so good at Liverpool. It got him the sack in the end. Despite the best efforts of Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho.

No problem punting on players when you're not at the top but when you should be at the top you should be looking to buy players that are at the peak of their powers and entering the primes of their career.

Be interesting to see how that sort of mentality would work here. We're currently in Europe having finished 5th (would have finished in the top 4 barring Covid).

I think we're in a position to buy players that are ready now and are performing regularly for their clubs.

I suppose at our level taking a "once future world class player" who is 23 and didn't hit the heights is worth a risk but a Wayne Routledge is a no. Basically the more spending power an attractiveness you have the fewer risks you should be taking.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Jack Hendry is the very definition of broken so £12m and he's all yours Brendan!

Have you still got that Marvin Commper guy?  Double swoop.

Btw Henrik, you have been fairly critical of Rodgers recently.  just out of curiosity, if you were given the chance and leaving aside the animosity of his departure, would you want him back?

Edited by murphy

I made a similar point in the Jonathan Tah thread.  Congerton/Rodgers MO has often been to find players with something to prove, or in other words, players that are currently failing at their clubs.  Could explain Rodger's err... 'patchy' recruitment history.

35 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

To be fair Bren got Ian back to the player we’d thought we’d bought.

Interesting point.  Which players do we think have been improved during Rodgers tenure?  Nacho, as you say.  I can't really think of any others.  He hasn't managed to get a tune out of Gray for instance.

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

Have you still got that Marvin Commper guy?  Double swoop.

Btw Henrik, you have been fairly critical of Rodgers recently.  just out of curiosity, if you were given the chance and leaving aside the animosity of his departure, would you want him back?

Haha Lee's best mate! Big Marv! Nah we paid him off, he's retired now I believe.

Good question, I don't think he'd be welcomed back anytime soon but I reckon in a few years, if we were at a low ebb and needed someone to come in and revitalise the place then I think people would be willing to put how he left to one side and accept him back. Let's be honest, we're not going to be able to attract a manager of his level very often so we'd be stupid to bite off our nose to spite our face.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Think they meant broken as "had a couple of poor seasons" not broken as " stealing a living as a professional footballer and spends his down time trying to lick his own elbow"....

Can you lick your own elbow? I am now telling my own employer to leave me alone, as I am conducting research on an important story and can't be disturbed.

• Haha 1