Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AdamSmithSO

VAR and disallowed goals...

So these are the key images from Sky Sports coverage - because it replicates what the linesman is seeing. 

Firstly, we can see that the Arsenal player in front of Kasper is clearly in an offside position. 

And for me, what I think impacts the linesman's decision is that ultimately this player is preventing Kasper him from diving in the direction the ball travelled.

I think it is highly conceivable that if the player is not there - Kasper reacts differently to the initial flicked header - or at least has a better play at the ball. 

And so for that reason, I think the call to flag the player offside, which ultimately sees the goal disallowed was justified. 

Now a small declaration here - I have an added bias, because not only am I a Leicester fan, but I was a long standing member of the goalkeepers union. Played that position for over 25 years from the age of 7. 

But I don't think these observations can be disputed at all from anyone looking at this from a balanced viewpoint. 

Yes you can argue whether Kasper would have been able to get to the ball or not without the player in front of him - but what can't be denied is he certainly has a better chance of doing something about it if 'player x' is not there. 

(If you want to quote any of this, I'm Alex, a Leicester fan from Bristol)

Offside.JPG

Offside 2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

Every day's a rough day. Maybe I should be less stressed. It's not his fault he's an Arsenal supporter but I believe I have a point there, somewhere.

You  have the best and most relevant point ever...Hes an Arsenal supporter...

Edited by fuchsntf

6 hours ago, Captain... said:

The linesman thought it was offside VAR didn't see a clear and obvious reason to overrule

This is the perfect summary. VAR was looking for a reason to overturn the call of offside and couldn't find that the referee or linesman made a clear and obvious error for ruling out the goal.

It is perfectly feasable to determine that regardless of Granit Xhaka's direction of travel, he would have certainly had some, even minimal, impact on Kasper's decision making. Therefore VAR has not found a reason to overturn the goal by the offside call being clearly and obviously wrong.

Is someone able to show a 3rd picture in the sequence as what it will show that no one has mentioned is Aubameyang “attempting to play the ball” whilst he also is an in an offside position, we haven’t had a luck of the VAR gimme here, the linesman applied the rules and VAR’s agreed 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain... said:

The linesman thought it was offside VAR didn't see a clear and obvious reason to overrule and neither did I.

But I get Arteta's frustration, that ball was going in regardless of Xhaka and Aubameyang, Kasper wasn't saving it and Justin wasn't getting back. Xhaka's presence caused Schmeichel to move but he was onside when Shmeichel moved so I get the argument it should have stood because the nuances of the offside rule are unclear and poorly defined.

...just looking at Xhaka backing into Kasper and Aubameyang half hearted attempt to play the ball!!!

Probably not a call for offside just for the initial backing in.

17 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Xhaka's movement quite clearly changes Justin's actions.

It's a 50/50 really, one of them you're pissed off with if it goes against you and you can't understand why. 

This! I was watching shearer and Wright go mad at dermott Gallagher because he wasn’t in Kasperd vision.  I was getting so frustrated that they couldn’t see that Justin air kicks because he can’t see through him. 

Its a harsh one and I’d be frustrated but technically I think it’s correct 

Hey all, just wanted to say a huge thanks to all those who did the daily poll on Sporting Opinion yesterday, it's much appreciated.

In case you wondered, 53% said, as most of you commented above, it was the correct decision not to award the goal.

Thanks again, next time the foxes pop up in one of our Speedy Polls I'll be sure to let you guys know!