Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

US Politics Thread

17 minutes ago, surrifox said:

It’s downright depressing that the way to gain traction and get noticed in the GOP appears to be to strive to appear more batshit than your rivals for a future run at the top job 

Trump seems to have shifted the requirement from being more Christian fundamentalist than the next guy to being more outrageous.  How did a fine old party come to this?  I mean they've always been rather anyone trying to help anyone is a commie, but this is crazy.

12 hours ago, Koke said:

Dumbest tweet by a US senator ever?

Hang on, didn't he tweet pretty much that exact sentiment like a week ago?  That completely removes any remaining sliver of benefit of the doubt if he's doubling down on the retardation

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55940542

Only eleven repubs voted to condemn someone who bought into QAnon, and harassed school shooting victims. That it happened before she took office shouldn't really be an excuse.

Shows how much of a hold Trumps influence still has, evidently a lot of those Repub Congresspeople are thinking about how this might affect re-election for them.

• Sad 1

The only way possible way for Democrats to secure a conviction in the Impeachment trial is to sub poena Trump. There is a chance that his evidence would be such a car crash that more GOP senators would flip 

I suppose in not doing so they may make political capital by showing the GOP senators as unprincipled and perhaps enabling Trump to run again may actually not be a disastrous outcome for their own aspirations to be re-elected in 2024 

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

A comment from an article about Trump attorney Bruce Castor’s inept performance yesterday 

“But the truth is that Castor could have stood up for two hours and made farting noises with his underarm, and his client would still be acquitted”.

That's the truth, more's the pity.

Hopefully, though the Senate trial will turn out the way it will, the court of public opinion will think differently and voters will remember what happened on January 6th at the ballot box in two and four years time.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

That's the truth, more's the pity.

Hopefully, though the Senate trial will turn out the way it will, the court of public opinion will think differently and voters will remember what happened on January 6th at the ballot box in two and four years time.

I admire your optimism.  If they don't shake that shit off the end of their stick now the GOP are basically ensuring more chaos 4 years from now. 

24 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

No faith here.

18 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I doubt it.  Politics wins, and on balance the GOP will prefer to kick the can down the road and hope he goes away vs pissing off half their base and hoping they forget.

This is probably correct, unfortunately.

I might add that it's because he (or more accurately, his influence) isn't going to go away that the GOP are being the cowardly lion on this one - as Jon says, convicting him pisses off half their base and gets them primaried next spin of the wheel. However, they also have to know that if they don't shed that Trump support and influence they don't have enough to gain power again in two or four years anyway because too many moderates upon whom they rely to get elected will remember January 6th.

Devil and the deep blue sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Jeez . I thought Giuliani was a terrible lawyer but these latest clown shoes Trump dug up are really showing the US legal system in a poor light .

I don’t think it’s just the legal system that’s the issue. 
Trump has historically had problems finding decent lawyers. 
For all his (possible) riches, very few top law firms want to touch him. 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I don’t think it’s just the legal system that’s the issue. 
Trump has historically had problems finding decent lawyers. 
For all his (possible) riches, very few top law firms want to touch him. 

Yes possibly because the better ones would insist on being paid and Trump doesn’t seem to pay for anything .

I agree it’s not a reflection on the legal system other than wondering how rigorous the professional standards are that allow these fools to practise law on such a high profile stage 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56038765

I dunno, maybe there's a little difference between "challenging the election result" as has happened before and not conceding, continuing to spout spurious and unproven allegations of fraud and having a hand in the events of January 6th?

Not that it matters to the overall verdict, it seems - the lines seem pretty starkly drawn on both sides.