Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

US Politics Thread

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

....And?

That UKBLM has anti capitalists within its ranks has zilch to do with the necessity of the organisation as a whole, and it's trotted out far too many times as an excuse to discredit the organisation and reassert the status quo where folks of colour in the US are being institutionally discriminated against by the fuzz.

Just another example of it here.

It's significant because they are using nice title words to gain support and funds for radical political ideals. It's like me making an organisation called 'feed hungry children' then wanting to turn the country into a dictatorship under the veil of a statement everyone can get behind. And it's not just 'within it's ranks', they have flat out said they are all anti capitalist, they have raised shit loads of money but refuse to be a charity as that would restrict them politically. It's a great reason to discredit them imo, not an excuse. Maybe consider why it's being 'trotted out far too many times', probably because it's significant. 

Edited by LCFCCHRIS
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

It's significant because they are using nice title words to gain support and funds for radical political ideals. It's like me making an organisation called 'feed hungry children' then wanting to turn the country into a dictatorship under the veil of a statement everyone can get behind. And it's not just 'within it's ranks', they have flat out said they are all anti capitalist, they have raised shit loads of money but refuse to be a charity as that would restrict them politically. It's a great reason to discredit them imo, not an excuse. Maybe consider why it's being 'trotted out far too many times', probably because it's significant. 

I'm sorry, but this is missing the point.

Whatever other objectives UKBLM may or may not have in mind, institutionalised police brutality in the US remains a problem. Using arguments - even possibly legit ones - to discredit a movement against that without offering an alternative option (bolded for importance) implies that the arguer is in fact OK with that institutionalised police brutality.

And, with respect, that is exactly what is happening here. It's the same as people pointing at Extinction Rebellion - idiots though most of them are - and using them as an excuse to not address climate change because they like the status quo (which won't actually be around for very long if we don't do something about it).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry, but this is missing the point.

Whatever other objectives UKBLM may or may not have in mind, institutionalised police brutality in the US remains a problem. Using arguments - even possibly legit ones - to discredit a movement against that without offering an alternative option (bolded for importance) implies that the arguer is in fact OK with that institutionalised police brutality.

And, with respect, that is exactly what is happening here. It's the same as people pointing at Extinction Rebellion - idiots though most of them are - and using them as an excuse to not address climate change because they like the status quo (which won't actually be around for very long if we don't do something about it).

Alternative opinion: that they campaign for the cause they claim is the bread and butter of the organisation and cut out the other crap.

5 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Alternative opinion: that they campaign for the cause they claim is the bread and butter of the organisation and cut out the other crap.

Thank you for clarifying that. Clarity on these matters is so important as the real problem gets obfuscated and lost in a sea of BS so often - which, sadly, is often the intent of those who stir the aforementioned BS in the first place, as, again, they're actually fine with the way things are now.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I would say that I hope the Texan voters remember this and the body count the next time they go to the polls, but unfortunately it seems that too many of them don't actually care about other people dying anyway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56287375

TBH I've got to tip my hat to the Repub marketing team. They've got it so that a decent amount of people are actually OK with the idea of disenfranchising fellow citizens and going against the entire ethos of what the US is supposed to stand for. In the name of a problem that is practically fictional.

Chickens coming home to roost...

'It's not fair!' Capitol suspect who put feet on Pelosi's desk has court outburst

Of all the pictures that were taken during the insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January, one of the most famous is of a man sitting on a chair with one foot on the desk of the US House speaker, Nancy Pelosi.

That man, Richard Barnett, was told by a judge on Thursday that he is to remain in jail until his next court date in May.

Barnett, a self-proclaimed white nationalist, began to yell at US district judge Christopher Cooper, saying “it’s not fair” that he should remain in custody as he awaits trial.

“Everybody else who did things much worse are already home,” he told Cooper during the virtual hearing, according to court records and reporters listening in. “I’ve been here for a month, they’re going to set it for another month, and everybody else is getting out.”

Barnett was arrested in January in Arkansas, his home state, and faces a series of federal charges over his alleged role in the insurrection, including violent entry, disrupting official proceedings and disruptive and disorderly conduct.

Upon leaving Pelosi’s office on the day of the riot, Barnett was seen by a New York Times reporter holding an envelope which displayed Pelosi’s letterhead. He told the Times that he “put a quarter on her desk” in exchange for the letter. He also said he “wrote her a nasty note, put my feet up on her desk”. Barnett is also facing charges of theft of public property.

In a statement to NBC News, Joseph D McBride, Barnett’s attorney, denies that his outburst was directed at the judge.

“Mr Barnett’s frustration stems from the fact that he is incarcerated pre-trial, despite lacking any criminal history, being gainfully employed, respected in his community and in a stable relationship for over 20 years,” the statement said. “Normally, facts like these are more than enough for an individual to fight their case from the outside.”

More than 250 people have been identified by the government as suspected participants in the riot. The trials of those who have been charged began last month and will probably last months.

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Yup, scraping leaves for a few hours is definitely justice for knocking down and killing a young man, refusing to cooperate with authorities then dashing to the airport.

You'll get no disagreement from me here.

But apparently that's the price that is paid for "diplomacy" and "realpolitik".

13 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Smh

I would also invite people with a stake in the current debate regarding attitudes towards women on the Also In The News thread to have a look at this.

Yes, it's not all men. But enough men (and women) in enough places hold this kind of attitude towards women that allow lawmakers like this to be elected in a democratic society and at least propose legislation. Those attitudes hardly arise in a vacuum.

On 22/03/2021 at 20:46, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56491941

Well, it isn't cages, but it sure as hell isn't great, either. Needs to be sorted out.

The Movable Feast. Sometimes the feast comes for you and sometimes you go to the feast. Either way exploitation is the end result. Feel nothing but sadness for these people reaping the results of USA foreign and economic policy. 

On 18/03/2021 at 04:50, leicsmac said:

Just read that NY Times article.

I think the thing that's really hard to get your head round is just how shit a conspiracy theory QAnon is. How lazy the central premise; I mean, it's literally thinking of the worst thing you could make up about your perceived enemies (they're secret paedophiles) and then the second worst (not just paedophiles but SATANIC paedophiles). And how will this be sorted out? By senior military generals appointing Home Alone 2/Apprentice star Donald Trump to blow it all open.  I mean, of course, there is nobody better qualified. If my son, who is 9, came up with this conspiracy theory as part of a school project, I would call him a willy puller to his face and tell him to pull his socks up, yet 19% of Americans hear this and go 'I reckon there's something in this, you know'.

Very much enjoying at present a Twitter account that puts up a lot of posts from users of Parler, including a lot of Q stuff, which unsurprisingly suggests that a lot of folk have lost any grip on reality they may have had previously