Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

US Politics Thread

Now that the election is done and dusted and there's a new guy in the White House, it's probably time for a new non-election related thread for what's going on over there.

First up, looks like the Repub senators, when push comes to shove, are still afraid of Trump and what his base could do to them:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55820610

• Like 1

No balls, but we all knew this would happen. 

America is so damaged and i find it hard to believe anyone can save them when the people who enabled trump continue to do so after he has left. Perfect time to push him away and take your party in a different direction. This will likely reaffirm a 2024 bid from Trump (unless he gets tossed in jail by NY) or ends up in another morbid thread on here .

Does anyone think Trump wont run again?

9 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

No balls, but we all knew this would happen. 

America is so damaged and i find it hard to believe anyone can save them when the people who enabled trump continue to do so after he has left. Perfect time to push him away and take your party in a different direction. This will likely reaffirm a 2024 bid from Trump (unless he gets tossed in jail by NY) or ends up in another morbid thread on here .

He probably won't but someone like him will at some point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

He probably won't but someone like him will at some point.

That's where I come out too, I think.

The matter definitely needs careful attention - perhaps the next fascist enabler (or even flat out fascist) will be more competent at manipulating all the levers of power rather than only some.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Might not have a choice. Dems control the senate, if they can get enough Republicans onside they can convict and bar him from holding public office ever again. Depends how keen moderate Republicans are to distance themselves from him. They should be wary about making it a partisan issue and tacitly endorsing Trump's actions - yeah 70m+ people voted for Trump, but more voted for Biden, and I would have thought a decent proportion of Trump voters, outside of the fringe MAGA and Q loons, were not happy with Trump's behaviour in encouraging insurrection.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Might not have a choice. Dems control the senate, if they can get enough Republicans onside they can convict and bar him from holding public office ever again. Depends how keen moderate Republicans are to distance themselves from him. They should be wary about making it a partisan issue and tacitly endorsing Trump's actions - yeah 70m+ people voted for Trump, but more voted for Biden, and I would have thought a decent proportion of Trump voters, outside of the fringe MAGA and Q loons, were not happy with Trump's behaviour in encouraging insurrection.

Their was a report i believe i read somewhere that 30% of the senate wont convict him basically. Thats borderline going to end the chance he is convicted in the senate unless some flip last minute

6 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Their was a report i believe i read somewhere that 30% of the senate wont convict him basically. Thats borderline going to end the chance he is convicted in the senate unless some flip last minute

I think there was vote to throw the trial out yesterday, of which 40 odd GOP senators voted for. Based on that I am pretty sure this confirms that the trial will be waste of time. 

11 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

3 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

I think there was vote to throw the trial out yesterday, of which 40 odd GOP senators voted for. Based on that I am pretty sure this confirms that the trial will be waste of time. 

In my post at the top of this page, fellas, so yep.

Repubs being all for it the day after they had to take cover while folks were roaming the corridors of their building looking for their compatriots necks to put in a noose, but when it comes to it and they feel secure again they lack the courage to hold the one responsible for it accountable because of the way it would reflect on them. Shame, really.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What do we make of Biden so far?  Some positive moves on climate change and the pandemic. but I am concerned about his blanket woke equality of outcome leanings, I fear this will divide not unite. 

Even if one views the latter as a negative (wouldn't mind seeing specific examples of it for inspection tbh), the former still massively outweighs it, no matter how much "division" it might sow.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Even if one views the latter as a negative (wouldn't mind seeing specific examples of it for inspection tbh), the former still massively outweighs it, no matter how much "division" it might sow.

It's a fair view, but a divided nation will achieve less on the first two that a more united one.  Lets see the practical examples as they come - too early to say really.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It's a fair view, but a divided nation will achieve less on the first two that a more united one.  Lets see the practical examples as they come - too early to say really.

I would have thought that a global pandemic and a threat that could see a billion people without food or potable water in the next few decades would be a good unifier regardless of other issues, but perhaps I'm expecting too much of humans there.

Like you say though, only time is going to tell.

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What do we make of Biden so far?  Some positive moves on climate change and the pandemic. but I am concerned about his blanket woke equality of outcome leanings, I fear this will divide not unite. 

I'm encouraged by a lot of what he's pushed through so far. The private prison order for example was very admirable, and I've seen tonight that he's banned exportion of arms to Saudi Arabia and UAE, temporarily at least. If he can't unite, it will be due to the damage already done rather than a reflection on Biden himself I feel.

Watching a bit of CNN and a few times they have referred to Republican House Leader, Kevin McCarthy,  going down to Mar a Lago to “kiss the ring” (Trump’s ring) 

I can’t imagine that our BBC newsreaders would be quite so eloquent 😂 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

6 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Watching a bit of CNN and a few times they have referred to Republican House Leader, Kevin McCarthy,  going down to Mar a Lago to “kiss the ring” (Trump’s ring) 

I can’t imagine that our BBC newsreaders would be quite so eloquent 😂 

Mate, this is a family forum... :revenge:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Dumbest tweet by a US senator ever?

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I seriously doubt it.  For a start he knows exactly what he is saying, and that a decent chunk of his supporters will think he talks sense.

Yep, it isn't dumb - it's flat-out malicious.

• Like 1