Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

9 hours ago, Asha said:

Does Hamilton now have the record for championship showdowns lost at the final race? 2007 2010* 2016 2021

Schumacher had 1997 1998 2006

Alonso 2007 2010 2012 

There’s probably someone in the 80s but that’s before my time. 

*2010 is a bit of a stretch I’ll admit. 

Think he'd be tied with Alonso if we discount 2010, mansell bottled a few as well right?

49 minutes ago, isaidno said:

Shocking that Latifi has received death threats 

Yeah and also how little attention it’s been given until now. After Silverstone the media were immediately very talkative about messages Hamilton was receiving, but apparently angry Hamilton fans sending death threats to Latifi didn’t deserve the same attention. 

What the hell is wrong with these people? Your boy lost, get over it. Does Masi have social media? He’s probably getting much worse. 

12 minutes ago, Asha said:

Yeah and also how little attention it’s been given until now. After Silverstone the media were immediately very talkative about messages Hamilton was receiving, but apparently angry Hamilton fans sending death threats to Latifi didn’t deserve the same attention. 

What the hell is wrong with these people? Your boy lost, get over it. Does Masi have social media? He’s probably getting much worse. 

Latifi only released a statement today, it could just he that nobody was aware he received them.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the comments from ecclestone that he was surprised Mercedes didn’t pit valteri as the last lap approached and the safety car was still out 

I’m not 100% sure of the rules but I believe that would have meant the race would have finished under the safety car with Lewis still out front 

If thats true then you can be sure red bulk would have done it if the roles were reversed ….

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Has anyone seen the comments from ecclestone that he was surprised Mercedes didn’t pit valteri as the last lap approached and the safety car was still out 

I’m not 100% sure of the rules but I believe that would have meant the race would have finished under the safety car with Lewis still out front 

If thats true then you can be sure red bulk would have done it if the roles were reversed ….

Never thought of that one. I assume they can't restart the race while a car is pitting on that lap? 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

OMG this has actually blown my mind. Surely that would have a been foolproof!! Merc employ c.hundreds of people on race day at Brackley, surely someone must've spotted this!?!!

To be fair it was the last but one lap when the call was made for the cars to unlap themselves, this was also the lap that the safety car came in. I'm sure that up until that point Mercedes "knew" the race was finishing under the safety car and didn't need to pit Bottas, once the call was made, there was no point pitting Bottas as it would make no difference it would have been after the safety car.

1 hour ago, browniefox said:

To be fair it was the last but one lap when the call was made for the cars to unlap themselves, this was also the lap that the safety car came in. I'm sure that up until that point Mercedes "knew" the race was finishing under the safety car and didn't need to pit Bottas, once the call was made, there was no point pitting Bottas as it would make no difference it would have been after the safety car.

Using bottas’ car on a strategic level to protect Hamilton was a weapon Mercedes could have used on the penultimate lap to cover the call that masi made (even allowing for it being unexpected).  But it wouldn’t have been in the spirit of racing.  I think that’s my point - red bull seem to be far more lateral thinking in their strategies. 

2 hours ago, browniefox said:

38 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Using bottas’ car on a strategic level to protect Hamilton was a weapon Mercedes could have used on the penultimate lap to cover the call that masi made (even allowing for it being unexpected).  But it wouldn’t have been in the spirit of racing.  I think that’s my point - red bull seem to be far more lateral thinking in their strategies. 

Irrelevant of morals etc, the nuances of this situation continue to blow my mind. Surely merc must have spotted this 

Not sure any predicted the "interpretation" of the rules from Masi.  Even watching live, Brundle and co., who've forgotten more about F1 than I know, were explaining it was either finish under a safety car or Max having to pass the unlapped cars. 

Mercedes were also after a constructors title and if Max and Lewis wiped each other out in the last lap, and Perez won, RB would have won both titles.  

• Like 2

Wait, people are still arguing Mercedes should have strategised for Masi changing the rules on the last lap.  Brilliant lol

It's done, it's finished, Mercedes were screwed and for the sake of the future of the sport changes need to be made to ensure this never happens again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1