Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

48 minutes ago, The Bear said:

After Toto didn't sound best pleased about it, Russell has now decided to accept responsibility for the Bottas incident. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russell-apologises-to-bottas-/6350902/

Poor bloke. Forced to do it really as he knows where his bread is buttered. 

It was his fault tbf lol

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Don't be daft it was a legitimate overtake attempt. Bottas was extremely lucky to not get a penalty IMO. 

The move was no worse than Verstappen squeezing out Hamilton at the start.  The only difference was the speed and the fact that Russell took to either the white line or the grass and lost the rear end.

There are certain moves which will go down as racing incidents, rather than forcing a car off the road, and in this case it will go down as a racing incident, nothing more.  

Russell was also out of order for going up to Bottas in the aftermath of the collision.

Scaring a driver off the track onto wet grass at 190mph isn't a racing incident, its dangerous. 

Bottas really didn't leave him much room in reality. His tyres were over the pit exit line and that is not much wider than a cars width, from the line to the grass. Russell clearly got spooked by Bottas moving across and didn't know how far he was going to go and took avoiding action, causing the accident. 

Edited by The Bear

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

Scaring a driver off the track onto wet grass at 190mph isn't a racing incident, its dangerous. 

Bottas really didn't leave him much room in reality. His tyres were over the pit exit line and that is not much wider than a cars width, from the line to the grass. Russell clearly got spooked by Bottas moving across and didn't know how far he was going to go and took avoiding action, causing the accident. 

He didn't scare him off the track lol he gave him enough room and he didn't move across when he realise George was there he went to give him more space lol, I suggest you watch it again lol

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I missed the race and the highlights didn’t really say much about it, but what did Hamilton do?

Also, I’ve never been into F1 really until watching the Netflix doc so excuse my ignorance. 

This is the first time I ever sat through an entire f1 race and try to understand what is going on, so I apologize if I didnt explain this accurately.

Pretty much Hamilton was 1st place and due to the wet/drying conditions he went off the track and got stuck he worked hard to get back on the track and by the time he got back on he dropped to 9th place. Shortly after he got back on his teammates Bottas and Russel collided together and caused such a mess they had to stop the race. Once they restarted Hamilton tore through everyone to end up in 2nd place.

I hope that was a good summary of what Hamilton did, feels like it is something out of a movie, I am not sure how often this happens.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShadowKing said:

This is the first time I ever sat through an entire f1 race and try to understand what is going on, so I apologize if I didnt explain this accurately.

Pretty much Hamilton was 1st place and due to the wet/drying conditions he went off the track and got stuck he worked hard to get back on the track and by the time he got back on he dropped to 9th place. Shortly after he got back on his teammates Bottas and Russel collided together and caused such a mess they had to stop the race. Once they restarted Hamilton tore through everyone to end up in 2nd place.

I hope that was a good summary of what Hamilton did, feels like it is something out of a movie, I am not sure how often this happens.

👍🏼 That’s what I saw from the highlights. I assumed he’d made a sportsman like gesture due to some of the comments on here.

4 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

👍🏼 That’s what I saw from the highlights. I assumed he’d made a sportsman like gesture due to some of the comments on here.

I think the other big news from the race was Norris. He had a real great race and he was holding on to that 2nd place against Ferrari until Hamilton came. 

This is the first time since 2012 two british drivers took podium spots in the same race.

If McLaren doesn't get better and compete with Red Bull and Mercedes, I could see Norris getting snatch up by Mercedes and they run a tandem of Norris and Russel to go against Verstappen in Red Bull and Leclerc in Ferrari.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Doesn't this just give an advantage to the faster cars again? Now qualifying won't matter that much, as a bad position will mean they have 95km to recover their position?

Possibly. Though what if they spin off or break down? That puts them at the back of the grid for the race. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

The main sprint race qualifying for Sunday's race is still on Saturday. 

tapatalk_1899972773.jpeg

I meant the qualifying for the sprint race is on Friday. Then the winner of the sprint will be on pole. They’re on about 3, 2, 1 points for the first 3 in the sprint. I’d expect it to be 10 laps which will give the lower teams a boost as they’ll be on low fuel which is a bit of a leveller as teams like merc handle the high fuel loads better.  Personally I think the format will be better as we’ll get two starts in the weekend and we al know the start is normally the exciting bit.

edit. Just noticed it’s 100km which is about 25 laps. The only thing I find a bit annoying is the budget cap and the teams having to race more, which uses the engines more. It’s not really fair to the teams that have built themselves into the position they are, have stacks of money to spend yet all that’s going to happen is the new owners of F1 are going to cream everything off the top. F1 is about pushing cars to the limit with technology, which filters its way down, abs, traction control, adjustable suspension, electric power systems, these are all  derived from F1, and without the teams being allowed to spend, the development gets reduced. The money is still there but the teams won’t get it.

Edited by yorkie1999

I don't really like it. But then I quite enjoyed just the old fashioned qualifying where you had plenty of time to do laps. In the old days qualifying was literally about qualifying for a slot on the grid though as much as the starting order.

It's been years since the days where a bunch of cars would miss the grid so now it's purely about grid position and they've been trying to reconcile the idea that you order the cars from fastest to slowest and then people moan when there isn't loads of overtaking. So we get gimmicks to try and stop that, like encouraging fast cars to qually on heavy fuel in the refueling era or saying you get 1 lap only because that adds variance. I was quite happy with how it has been. I think it sounds a bit crap and if you do this sprint race you want a shorter qually session and make it all on the Saturday.