Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2021

15 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

When something like this doesn't directly effect another driver, stewards tend to give much more leeway. 

Naturally, Red Bull spotted what Hamilton was doing and used their radio messages to bring it to closer attention... so of course it would be that very patch of track that would decide the ultimate outcome of the race. 

Ultimately, what Hamilton did was push the rules to the limits within an area of tolerance - it was one of those he was going to keep doing it until he was told to stop knowing he should get an initial warning. 

Obviously Max's off-limits pass wasn't completely intentional, but what he and Red Bull failed to do was think smart in the moment. Yes, they had to give the place back, but when and where was another matter. They probably had another couple of corners to decide what to do, which not only could have given them a better chance to then follow Hamilton straight back and overtake again, it would have damaged Hamilton's aging tyres in the process. 

Oh yeah max should've yielded the position no doubt, I wasn't really disputing that. it just seems mental to me that it was allowed on both occasions, whether he gained a significant advantage or not the white lines are there for a reason

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Oh yeah max should've yielded the position no doubt, I wasn't really disputing that. it just seems mental to me that it was allowed on both occasions, whether he gained a significant advantage or not the white lines are there for a reason

I see what you're saying. How much did Hamilton gain over the race from going over the line. But I think the balance is right. Do it once and its ignored. Do it a few times and you get warned, continue to do it and the warning is acted on and you get a stop go penalty. Use it to your advantage on overtaking and you have to give the place back. Seems sensible, otherwise every time someone went over the line they'd be punished.

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I see what you're saying. How much did Hamilton gain over the race from going over the line. But I think the balance is right. Do it once and its ignored. Do it a few times and you get warned, continue to do it and the warning is acted on and you get a stop go penalty. Use it to your advantage on overtaking and you have to give the place back. Seems sensible, otherwise every time someone went over the line they'd be punished.

That system is fine, but that's not what happened, Lewis took that line 29 times in the race lol. I'm not suggesting Lewis should've got a penalty either it just baffles me the stewards let it go for as long as they did and the fact this is the second occurrence. I think it's different if you leave the track through over steer .etc, but Lewis took that extension as his racing line which just seems dodgy to me, I don't understand why that would/should be allowed as it had done.

33 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

That system is fine, but that's not what happened, Lewis took that line 29 times in the race lol. I'm not suggesting Lewis should've got a penalty either it just baffles me the stewards let it go for as long as they did and the fact this is the second occurrence. I think it's different if you leave the track through over steer .etc, but Lewis took that extension as his racing line which just seems dodgy to me, I don't understand why that would/should be allowed as it had done.

Max also took the line for about 15 laps or so... just one of those things, the rule is always applied though if it gives you an advantage when overtaking. They are far more lenient when not. I see your point though but just something that has been happening for years. 

2 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Max also took the line for about 15 laps or so... just one of those things, the rule is always applied though if it gives you an advantage when overtaking. They are far more lenient when not. I see your point though but just something that has been happening for years. 

I didn't know about Max, I only saw Ham doing it, I wasn't singling him out it still shouldn't be allowed though. You'd think at this level you'd have to be within the lines and not actively take that as the line. Not even wanting overly strict extending rules, but quicker warnings and a bit of a stern rule on it. Seems to me when they say they're not monitoring it you're basically inviting them to cut that specific turn which is surely against the idea of it. Wouldn't mind it a Sochi though lol

Jesus Christ, although I've not always been a fan of Hamilton as I've found him a bit hypocritical and annoying in the past, there's no doubt he's going to be GOAT. That win on Sunday just sums him up. 

Max will get his chance when Lewis retires but for now he can only sit back and admire the man. He's one in a trillion. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...