Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Wild swimming

Anyone into this? 

Anywhere that's clean within an hour or so and you can just rock up to for a swim? 

My impression is that everything seems banned unless organised (eg Rutland water) in this country 

The long hot summer ahead (it's a myth the UK doesn't have hot summers imo - I find the UK / Midlands heat unbearable at times, as we can't cool.off easily) ...and no overseas holiday likely, any tips for a clean, refreshing dip.sans dog mess and discarded trolleys?

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Anyone into this? 

Anywhere that's clean within an hour or so and you can just rock up to for a swim? 

My impression is that everything seems banned unless organised (eg Rutland water) in this country 

The long hot summer ahead (it's a myth the UK doesn't have hot summers imo - I find the UK / Midlands heat unbearable at times, as we can't cool.off easily) ...and no overseas holiday likely, any tips for a clean, refreshing dip.sans dog mess and discarded trolleys?

I've done loads of it in my time but never in the UK.

This website has a list of places by region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've done loads of it in my time but never in the UK.

This website has a list of places by region.

I've only ever done it once, in Croatia. Rocked up to a.river just down from the b&b i was in and got in. No formal bathing area. Just got in 

I was a bit apprehensive at first. But it was an amazing, quite liberating feeling. But the water there was crystal clean mountain water, which helps (and literally freezing despite 35 degree heat)

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Anyone into this? 

Alot in France..Thats where I Really begann 60years ago, Plus canyoning..

Old places in UK, started to get prohibited....

pS..forgot...Oft The beaten track..Wales/Sctland...Peak  Lake-districts had events....and Open days...but Now..:dunno:

Edited by fuchsntf

Saw quite a few people doing this in the river trent a couple of years ago near castle donnington while i was fishing, don't know whether or not there's a club but it all seemed very organized with a man in a boat following them.

Apparently the right to roam law means you can swim in any uk river as long as there's access. 

Edited by yorkie1999

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Saw quite a few people doing this in the river trent a couple of years ago near castle donnington while i was fishing, don't know whether or not there's a club but it all seemed very organized with a man in a boat following them.

Apparently the right to roam law means you can swim in any uk river as long as there's access. 

There isn’t a right to swim (the landowner owns the river bed) but yes right to roam basically covers it. Right to roam is pretty limited in England and Wales (woefully so I’d say) and therefore access to rivers is pretty dreadful, even worse because of the types areas where right to roam exists isn’t conducive to accessing swimmable waterways 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

There isn’t a right to swim (the landowner owns the river bed) but yes right to roam basically covers it. Right to roam is pretty limited in England and Wales (woefully so I’d say) and therefore access to rivers is pretty dreadful, even worse because of the types areas where right to roam exists isn’t conducive to accessing swimmable waterways 

Unless there is a statutory right to navigation, which means the land owner can swivel. I notice the Soar in Leicester is on that list.

https://www.wildswimming.co.uk/access-and-law/ 

Edited by yorkie1999

Stoney cove and Stanton lakes close by do it. I’ve been saying about doing it for ages but haven’t yet done it.

Was doing the Wim Hoff method about 2 months ago (cold showers/ice baths and breathing exercises) which got me thinking about it.

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Anyone into this? 

Are you in Leicestershire mate? If you're prepared to hop over the border to Northamptonshire then there's some lovely places along the Nene you can swim in. I'd recommend Harpers Brook in Aldwinckle, Oundle and Ringstead - all nice places for wild swimming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Was doing the Wim Hoff method about 2 months ago (cold showers/ice baths and breathing exercises) which got me thinking about it.

How did you find this?  Feel any benefit?

8 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Are you in Leicestershire mate? If you're prepared to hop over the border to Northamptonshire then there's some lovely places along the Nene you can swim in. I'd recommend Harpers Brook in Aldwinckle, Oundle and Ringstead - all nice places for wild swimming.

Excellent, thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Soup said:

How did you find this?  Feel any benefit?

Ermm for about 6 weeks I thought I had found a cheat code for controlling my mood. The breathing is something else, instantly lifts your mood and you find you can hold it for over 2 mins without a panic.

The cold showers are ok once you are in the routine, I tried the coldest bath I could run and I can’t begin to describe the pain in my hands and feet lol.

After the 6 weeks I started to have a shitty time at work so that knocked me a bit but I’ve literally just started the breathing again yesterday.

100% recommend the breathing stuff on YouTube.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ermm for about 6 weeks I thought I had found a cheat code for controlling my mood. The breathing is something else, instantly lifts your mood and you find you can hold it for over 2 mins without a panic.

The cold showers are ok once you are in the routine, I tried the coldest bath I could run and I can’t begin to describe the pain in my hands and feet lol.

After the 6 weeks I started to have a shitty time at work so that knocked me a bit but I’ve literally just started the breathing again yesterday.

100% recommend the breathing stuff on YouTube.

6 weeks is a good effort tbf. I tried the cold bath until I actually sat down then stood straight up and thought sod that. I probably should try a bit harder really as the benefits do sound good. 

The breathing stuff sounds interesting as well, I'll look in to that.

1 minute ago, Soup said:

6 weeks is a good effort tbf. I tried the cold bath until I actually sat down then stood straight up and thought sod that. I probably should try a bit harder really as the benefits do sound good. 

The breathing stuff sounds interesting as well, I'll look in to that.

Can completely understand that. Cold wise I would say start in the shower as it’s much less harsh.

There isn’t much science re the cold

stuff but the breathing exercises have been proven to have an effect, I can’t remember them all but for altitude sickness it pretty much stops it. Also some science around being injected with viruses and the only people that showed no ill effects did this.

It will feel weird at first but stick with it.

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Can completely understand that. Cold wise I would say start in the shower as it’s much less harsh.

There isn’t much science re the cold

stuff but the breathing exercises have been proven to have an effect, I can’t remember them all but for altitude sickness it pretty much stops it. Also some science around being injected with viruses and the only people that showed no ill effects did this.

It will feel weird at first but stick with it.

Excellent cheers. Just changing my diet and doing more exercise over the last few years have made me feel so much better. I fancy going a bit further so this kind of stuff intrigues me. 

Just now, Soup said:

Excellent cheers. Just changing my diet and doing more exercise over the last few years have made me feel so much better. I fancy going a bit further so this kind of stuff intrigues me. 

I know what you mean, I’ve watched hours of videos about it. Some of the claims are crazy, wish I had fully carried on with it after that time to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I know what you mean, I’ve watched hours of videos about it. Some of the claims are crazy, wish I had fully carried on with it after that time to be honest.

Like with anything it's sticking with things untill they become habit. I'm sure if you get back on it you'll be fine. Sometimes there's a day when you really can't be arsed, but they're the times that you really need to carry on. Easier said than done though I guess

15 minutes ago, Soup said:

Like with anything it's sticking with things untill they become habit. I'm sure if you get back on it you'll be fine. Sometimes there's a day when you really can't be arsed, but they're the times that you really need to carry on. Easier said than done though I guess

Definitely, especially with the cold showers haha. That really takes some resolve to keep going.

• Haha 1