Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Steam Deck (Handheld PC Gaming)

• 2 weeks later...

I’m seriously considering getting the steam deck. I travel a lot with work and what something to keep me occupied in the evening time. I’ve read certain games are not supported like FIFA23 for example, but there are ways to get around it by installing windows on the device. Has anyone any experience of this and is it easy enough to do?

7 hours ago, One Arm Babba said:

I’m seriously considering getting the steam deck. I travel a lot with work and what something to keep me occupied in the evening time. I’ve read certain games are not supported like FIFA23 for example, but there are ways to get around it by installing windows on the device. Has anyone any experience of this and is it easy enough to do?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, One Arm Babba said:

Don't know why it posted last night!

Most games will "play" on Steamdeck.

FM23 plays REALLY well, and is now my go to game.  This game is classed as "playable" and not "verified", just as an example.

What you COULD do is get a Steamdeck (512gb is HIGHLY recommended), test it and then ask for refund on both Deck and newly purchased games using Steam's refund system, which really WORKS....   Unlike Leicester's defence right now.

On 11/01/2023 at 15:03, One Arm Babba said:

Is it relatively straight forward to get it running on the steam deck? 

Dead easy. FM23 is literally turn machine on, then upload through Steam client, then play.

Takes a while to get used to the small writing, but other than that, its great!

Grand Theft Auto 5, Cyber Punk 2070 and Factorio all work well too.

• 2 weeks later...

21 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Been using my Steam Deck for emulation, it's absolutely brilliant. The difficult part is moving the ROMs onto the memory card.

I'll be getting one eventually purely for emulation. What's the best it can emulate at the moment?

52 minutes ago, Brenfox said:

21 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Been using my Steam Deck for emulation, it's absolutely brilliant. The difficult part is moving the ROMs onto the memory card.

I'll be getting one eventually purely for emulation. What's the best it can emulate at the moment?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Seriously considering getting one just for Portal 2. Anyone got the Dock to connect it up to a TV? 

Bought a cheapo one off Amazon that has similar ports to the one Steam sells. Used it with a keyboard, mouse and monitor though, not a TV. Worked well - but I only did this to justify it to the wife as a fallback computer for work if my two laptops and desktop failed. Pretty sure she bought it as an excuse.

Highly recommend the VibrantDeck plugin for Decky Loader to anyone looking for a bit more...well, vibrancy from the screen. Quick fiddle with the contrast makes for a huge difference in how the colours pop and because you edit it through the quick menu you can see how it's impacting the game straight away. Probably more effective in some games than others but in Persona the improvement is pretty remarkable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s a super bit of kit, but does anyone else find it really uncomfortable to play handheld? The grip is so uncomfortable compared to a switch for example. 

One other thing that I need to sort is that when playing through windows and the steam app, my controls flick back and forth between controller and m+k, also the track pads are active and it’s so easy for the base of my left thumb to catch the right track pad. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, hopefully there is an easy way to disable the trackpads. 

14 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Fantastic! Email sent.

ParcelFarce update - it's not coming till ****ing Monday.

Its great that you are looking forward to it so much.

Might I suggest some games?

FM23, assassins Creed Valhalla, Factorio all work well.

3 hours ago, filthyfox said:

Its great that you are looking forward to it so much.

Might I suggest some games?

FM23, assassins Creed Valhalla, Factorio all work well.

Already on the list, as is Miles Morales and a whole host of older games i've either not played in a while or missed out on, like Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 3.

First things first is PORTAL 2 AND I CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY IT AGAIN.

My wallet is going to hurt.