Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Steam Deck (Handheld PC Gaming)

46 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This looks quite interesting - £349, out in December

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

If it reviews well I might pick one up

Very interesting.  I've looked at the website and they appear to be suggesting it's powerful enough to fluidly run titles like Control and Baldur's Gate 3.  If remotely true it would explain why the storage is so small at the lowest price point (64GB) but then that presents an obvious immediate problem since BG3 alone takes up 60GB on my computer.  Then there's also questions about the other natural side effects of higher performance: Weight/heat/fan noise/power draw.  But I suspect the remote play is how they're getting those images and you'd have to be running the more demanding games from your home machine for best results.  I'm not sure how much that matters though because even if you can't actually play AAA titles on high settings at 30-60fps it certainly looks like an upgrade on the Switch as a portable indie game device and that's become a fairly sizeable audience.  And honestly now that I think about it, the streaming option is essentially like buying an undocked switch mode for your PC which is actually pretty cool.  Imagine you need good internet for it though. 

Overall mixed feelings, will be an interesting to watch the ongoing developments on this though.

Edited by Carl the Llama

You can colour me tempted. 64gb storage on the entry model strikes me as being prohibitive if your library consists of anything other than pixel art indie games but I suppose you could always just get a hefty SD card. I can definitely see myself having a swing at the mid-tier one as an upgrade on the Switch Lite.

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

@Ian Nacho Do you use Steam at all? Might be your kind of thing in lieu of the Switch

Even if you don't use Steam and you are after a handheld gaming device anyway, would be a hell of a lot more games available to you

Does look interesting that. I use Steam at the moment for a couple of low powered games, like San Andreas, because of my god awful laptop. 

Very tempted by this. Loved my ps vita and other than a few games I played heavily on my switch it's largely been collecting dust for a long time now. If it performs well I may well tip my toe in, very reasonable price if it does what it says on the tin. My guess is they'll be taking a hefty loss on hardware to sell a shed ton more software. 

• Like 1

You'd have to be nuts to get overly  excited about this before it's launched and heavily reviewed to be honest and even then I'd wait a while. 

Valve are on their fourth or fifth of these little projects and they never really come through. Their console killing box, their controllers etc. All half arsed, all flops, all given up on. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

On 19/07/2021 at 10:17, Finnegan said:

You'd have to be nuts to get overly  excited about this before it's launched and heavily reviewed to be honest and even then I'd wait a while. 

Valve are on their fourth or fifth of these little projects and they never really come through. Their console killing box, their controllers etc. All half arsed, all flops, all given up on. 

Think the only reason I'm mildly excited for it is because it's decent hardware in a handhold for a good price. And if it really is running a linux os, then the internet community will do more with it (like with the PSP) than valve ever could. Just have to hope the hardware is as good as it looks, both in power and hopefully longevity. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What’s the latest on this , did anyone order one ? 

looking forward to feedback as it looks right up my street. 
Ideally I’d like to play No Mans Sky on the go but not that tech aware and not used Steam before. Gaming on my PS4 has become difficult for various reasons 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Should apparently get my email about ordering this from anytime now, still not sure whether I actually want it / need it...

I'm in the same boat but I know the answer to your question. Yes/No

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It arrived, it's much bigger then I expected and will say it's going to take some getting used to for the control lay-out.

So far had a quick blast on Resident Evil 2 remake and the Aperture Desk job (tech demo game), surprisingly runs Resident Evil 2 very well.

On 22/08/2022 at 20:38, Rusko187 said:

It arrived, it's much bigger then I expected and will say it's going to take some getting used to for the control lay-out.

So far had a quick blast on Resident Evil 2 remake and the Aperture Desk job (tech demo game), surprisingly runs Resident Evil 2 very well.

When did you place your order?