Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Snooker 2022

World championship qualifiers start today. Up to 4 rounds depending on player ranking.

Apart from interest on players from wherever you are in the world locally, it probably gets interesting around a week from now.

I'm fully cheering on Dave Gilbert as him and his mate have just taken over the snooker club I play for in Swad near Burton. Spoken to him a couple of times in there, really nice bloke. 

He had an exhibition in there a couple of weekends ago where you got put into a hat to play a frame against him. He also bought Tatiana Woolaston down to ref his games. 

I didn't go ultimately, but if it was Desislava he'd asked to ref I'd have been there with bells on!! 

• Haha 1

Some long time professionals dropping off tour during qualifying, Michael Holt being the potential latest as he lost the Nottingham vs Leicester clash against Tom Ford.

An all Leicester clash tonight as Ben Woollaston takes on Joe O’Connor.

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I'm fully cheering on Dave Gilbert as him and his mate have just taken over the snooker club I play for in Swad near Burton. Spoken to him a couple of times in there, really nice bloke. 

He had an exhibition in there a couple of weekends ago where you got put into a hat to play a frame against him. He also bought Tatiana Woolaston down to ref his games. 

I didn't go ultimately, but if it was Desislava he'd asked to ref I'd have been there with bells on!! 

I assumed you’d be proper West Midlands, not right next to Coalville!

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

Speaking of Dave...

• Haha 1

No Tom or Joe for you local guys sadly. No Jordan Brown for me. Bear's mate Gilbert is through though.

Loving Judgement Day in the background, lot of close matches. Hoping Vafaei go through to represent Iran at the Crucible, he's 9-8 up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nalis said:

No Tom or Joe for you local guys sadly. No Jordan Brown for me. Bear's mate Gilbert is through though.

Loving Judgement Day in the background, lot of close matches. Hoping Vafaei go through to represent Iran at the Crucible, he's 9-8 up.

Far more exciting than yesterday, good to see Vafaei finally qualify for the Crucible, in very dramatic circumstances.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Who are we predicting to win it this year then. Surely the form book and all logic suggests it's finally Robertson's year again. 

Either him or Zhao Xintong for me, the guy's a machine. 

Robertson will no doubt be the favourite, but when it comes to the Crucible he’s hard to trust, past 3-4 years he has come into it as one of the faves and flopped, plus he’s in the harder side of the draw this year along with Ronnie, Higgins & Xintong.

One of those four against Hawkins or Williams in the final for me.

26 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

it's a bit odd that the ultimate title in snooker the world championship is in such a small venue, its like playing all your fa cup games at Wembley and playing the final at Accrington Stanley.

It's a great venue for watching snooker because of the proximity to the centre and the atmosphere.

Its hard to know what type of alternative venue would work.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Who are we predicting to win it this year then. Surely the form book and all logic suggests it's finally Robertson's year again. 

Either him or Zhao Xintong for me, the guy's a machine. 

I'd normally say Robertson too but the in form player of the season has tended to fade by the world championship in the past few years.

Just now, Nalis said:

I'd normally say Robertson too but the in form player of the season has tended to fade by the world championship in the past few years.

He never really likes the Crucible in general. Though he is playing really well at the minute. 

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Robertson will no doubt be the favourite, but when it comes to the Crucible he’s hard to trust, past 3-4 years he has come into it as one of the faves and flopped, plus he’s in the harder side of the draw this year along with Ronnie, Higgins & Xintong.

One of those four against Hawkins or Williams in the final for me.

anthony mcgills game seems to be suited to the grind of the world championship

3 minutes ago, lcfc old boy said:

anthony mcgills game seems to be suited to the grind of the world championship

To come out of the bottom half, you thoroughly expect it to be one of Robertson, Ronnie or Higgins.

Top half is well up for grabs, you have no idea what to expect from Selby, Judd Trump & Kyren Wilson have had pretty average seasons. McGill is capable of doing some damage, but if they end up meeting in R2, I’ll be favouring the winner of Hawkins vs Williams to make the final.

Dave Gilbert has drawn Ronnie in the 1st round. Tough as you can get but the top seeds are most vulnerable in the opening round I guess. 

Mark Selby (1) v Jamie Jones

Yan Bingtao (16) v Chris Wakelin

Barry Hawkins (9) v Jackson Page

Mark Williams (8) v Michael White

Kyren Wilson (5) v Ding Junhui

Stuart Bingham (12) v Lyu Haotian

Anthony McGill (13) v Liam Highfield

Judd Trump (4) v Hossein Vafaei

Neil Robertson (3) v Ashley Hugill

Jack Lisowski (14) v Mathew Stevens

Luca Brecel (11) v Noppon Saengkham

John Higgins (6) v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh