Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCJoe96

Women’s Euro 2022 - Hosted in England

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

It didn’t. The “football’s coming home” in the song just referred to the fact England were hosting it and was written for a Euros tournament. It’s nothing to do with the World Cup or bringing home a trophy, the “30 years of hurt” was just how long at the time since England had won anything.

Yeh but how often have we been hurt before by the women not winning anything?

Never

14 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yeh but how often have we been hurt before by the women not winning anything?

Never

I think there is some danger of over thinking this. Let us enjoy the joy and be pleased that disappointment was avoided. Nice change for our national football teams whatever the gender. 

• Like 2

Already sick of the "women showing the men how its done comments: lol Like it has any relevance. 

Worst thing about England doing well, or in this case winning, men or women, is having to listen to people who pretend they care about football lol 

Standard has increased enough for it to now be a genuine alternative if you've had enough of the stuff that comes with mens football these days. If I was nearer a super league side I'd definitely think about going to a few games. 

19 minutes ago, foxes1988 said:

Definite over thinking going on here.  Its just a catchy song and they are enjoying themselves.  I bet most/all of these women have followed the men's teams all their lives and have experienced the hope and failure that the song encapsulates so well.

Im sure the rest of the world and UK will try and pretend it to be English arrogance as always but who cares lets just enjoy this brilliant English side :appl:

I doubt the rest of the world cares about a Lightning Seeds song and it seems England women are pretty popular outside of England (including in the rest of the UK from what I've seen)

Apart from Germany lmao 

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

I doubt the rest of the world cares about a Lightning Seeds song and it seems England women are pretty popular outside of England (including in the rest of the UK from what I've seen)

Apart from Germany lmao 

With the amount of whinging every tournament about the song its hard to argue other nations don't care about it.   

It was on national tele here in France. Well, until full time anyway. They didn't show extra time because that would have disrupted normal scheduling, and it was the news (it would have been like delaying BBC1 news) 

I wonder what would have happened if France had made the final?

44 minutes ago, bovril said:

Apart from Germany lmao 

It depends. This song was a huge hit in countries like Greece with a big following of alternative/indie music. Lightning Seeds were huge in the 90's in Greece and if you visit bars there now their songs are still on every single DJ's playlist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Complaining about women's football because of 'the standard' is the biggest fig leaf going. If people only saw it through that prism about every club below League One would have gone bust decades ago. 

Exactly.

Can we just keep any flippant comments regarding gender to ourselves. This is an amazing achievement by our ladies for football, and for England. There’s no need to start turning it into a pissing contest. Let’s celebrate the lioness’ success without reverting to a prejudice tone. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Exactly.

Can we just keep any flippant comments regarding gender to ourselves. This is an amazing achievement by our ladies for football, and for England. There’s no need to start turning it into a pissing contest. Let’s celebrate the lioness’ success without reverting to a prejudice tone. 

This. Like I mentioned in my previous post only the media are trying to create a "divide" again. The national English ladies football team won the Euro. Any comparison is irrelevant and largely suspicious. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Exactly.

You know what, I'll take it further because I'm just sick of it. The whole thing has huge coverage in every single media outlet. Suddenly they have forgotten fuel prices, cost of living, energy prices, Covid etc. Do they think we're stupid? Don't get me wrong, I get it, it's big news, but the coverage is just beyond ridiculous. Some articles are outrageous especially in the Guardian. 

As my grandad said to me decades ago when I was younger, politicians and journalists are the cancer of this planet. I think he was right. 

52 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think that's exactly why it has the coverage. And I don't think its a bad thing. 

People are lying if they haven't noticed how much more younger the crowds look at these games. Giving a sense of aspiration to young children in an era when football at a top level with the top names is near impossible to afford and attain certainly isn't a bad thing. 

As I said I don't mind that this achievement is getting a big coverage. I agree with you. Some articles about this though are absolutely bizarre. The ladies have won the European trophy. End of. What's the point comparing them to the men's national team? It's just a sport. 

On 01/08/2022 at 04:52, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Do you think Sarina as the England coach after Southgate gets binned off.......plus she's million times better then that hopeless Gary Neville was.

She's given the same team spirit as Ranieri give to Leicester in 2015/16

Sarina I think would love the challenge, but I somehow don't think The Fa would want to derail the England womans project. Would look ood either to say the "England's men's game is far more important than the womens game" If she's appointed fantastic but at the same time lets just allow her to contuine her success with the womens team. Won't be too long before she starts to get asked questions in press conference, about taking over the mens job in the future.

Edited by Leicesterpool