Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Groundhopping

Went Biggleswade v Cambridge City yesterday - 3-2 thriller with a last minute winner. Played at Bedford Town, incredibly Biggleswade has three clubs and its a town of only 17k. 

My brother said he recognised Cambridge's right back, looked him up, Matty Miles, used to be at City playing for Under 23s as late as 2016. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 21:21, grobyfox1990 said:

Fantastic, I’d go as far as inspirational, certainly to me! Looking at flight to Glasgow, never been to Celtic or rangers 

Glasgow is a good city - you'll like around Kelvingrove. Feels more like Edinburgh than other parts of the city. I've done Ibrox, brilliant ground but it is a bit like a Union Jack theme park 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Went Biggleswade v Cambridge City yesterday - 3-2 thriller with a last minute winner. Played at Bedford Town, incredibly Biggleswade has three clubs and its a town of only 17k. 

My brother said he recognised Cambridge's right back, looked him up, Matty Miles, used to be at City playing for Under 23s as late as 2016. 

Blimey that's a good spot lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Chester on Saturday to watch them v afc fylde. Taking inspiration from this thread and managed to convince the two friends i’m meeting up there to go with me. Probably leave at ht as they’ll get bored 

It's a ground hopping staple to **** it off and go to the pub midway through, or at least when I go lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/08/2022 at 09:06, grobyfox1990 said:

Chester on Saturday to watch them v afc fylde. Taking inspiration from this thread and managed to convince the two friends i’m meeting up there to go with me. Probably leave at ht as they’ll get bored 

3 red cards!

Hope you enjoyed the game.

Edited by Tuna

Sutton v Harrogate on Saturday. Meeting a mate who lives in Croydon for lunch and Man City v villa early ko then will go the game on my own 

Austria Vienna v Beer Sheva europa conference league next Thursday. Got a speaking slot at a conference out there on weds, my manager agreed to the budget so I can go in person instead of the usual remote. Tagged on an extra two days to go to the game and will ‘work’ remotely from the hotel. Vienna looks well boring though so prob will actually work.

Both wouldn’t have crossed my mind if it wasn’t for reading this thread 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2022 at 14:58, grobyfox1990 said:

Sutton v Harrogate on Saturday. Meeting a mate who lives in Croydon for lunch and Man City v villa early ko then will go the game on my own 

Austria Vienna v Beer Sheva europa conference league next Thursday. Got a speaking slot at a conference out there on weds, my manager agreed to the budget so I can go in person instead of the usual remote. Tagged on an extra two days to go to the game and will ‘work’ remotely from the hotel. Vienna looks well boring though so prob will actually work.

Both wouldn’t have crossed my mind if it wasn’t for reading this thread 

Sutton was well weird. Little cow patch in a park.

Austria Vienna was class. Israelis let off loads of flares. Austrians were v v loud. There was a palace fanatic type lad with a megaphone facing the crowd for 90 mins shouting nonsense. The strudel loving freak next to me lovingly referred to him as ‘our capo’ Who knows. But overall really fun 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Sutton was well weird. Little cow patch in a park.

Austria Vienna was class. Israelis let off loads of flares. Austrians were v v loud. There was a palace fanatic type lad with a megaphone facing the crowd for 90 mins shouting nonsense. The strudel loving freak next to me lovingly referred to him as ‘our capo’ Who knows. But overall really fun 

"Capo" is the term used for the leader of an Ultras group.

• Thanks 1

Looks like I will be going over to Hamburg Saturday 5th November to Monday 7th November. HSV vs Regensburg is Sunday at 13:30. Meeting two mates out there, one of them is a HSV fan (goes home and away most weeks plus does loads of Germany games and other random European games).

Was hoping to combine with the Bochum game in Dortmund but unable to swing the two. Hopefully plan another trip to Bochum in 2023.

• Like 2

On 09/09/2022 at 14:51, KrefelderFox666 said:

Looks like I will be going over to Hamburg Saturday 5th November to Monday 7th November. HSV vs Regensburg is Sunday at 13:30. Meeting two mates out there, one of them is a HSV fan (goes home and away most weeks plus does loads of Germany games and other random European games).

Was hoping to combine with the Bochum game in Dortmund but unable to swing the two. Hopefully plan another trip to Bochum in 2023.

Doing the weekend after now, HSV vs Sandhausen. Saturday lunch match, last game before the world cup.

• Like 1

Just now, CosbehFox said:

With a call-off in the offing on Saturday plus a hotel room booked, might be time to take a look at non-league in North London 

Hadley FC would be an interesting one. A few ex-Barnet fans I know began watching them after their club moved out of the borough and they've been badgering me to get to a game. Brew their own beer there too and I believe a former member of One Direction who lives nearby is known to go to their games.

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Hadley FC would be an interesting one. A few ex-Barnet fans I know began watching them after their club moved out of the borough and they've been badgering me to get to a game. Brew their own beer there too and I believe a former member of One Direction who lives nearby is known to go to their games.

Haringey are at home - would have been possible to do a double on Saturday. Enfield Town are at home and I've fancied visiting Queen Elizabeth II Stadium - got this beautiful Art Deco stand , good club of people who fought to have Enfield playing in the borough (anyone remember our cup tie v them?)

Hendon are in the cup as well for a derby v Wingate & Finchley FC 

• Like 1

On 18/08/2022 at 13:45, Voll Blau said:

Thought it'd be worth having a thread for football trips people are doing at home and abroad as neutrals. Always like reading about others' experiences.

Doing a three-day weekender by train to Holland and Germany next month involving:

MVV Maastricht v Jong Ajax (Friday)

Wattenscheid v Straelen (Saturday)

Bochum v Köln (Sunday)

Looking forward to Maastricht as I've never been to a game in Holland before and their fans look pretty crackers to boot.

So, where's everyone off to and what tips do people have for each other?

This weekend didn't disappoint. Maastricht beat the Ajax youngsters 4-1. The away team playing some pretty passing moves but were no match for the experience of MVV.

No away fans, which was weird, but didn't stop the 'Angel-Side' Ultras in the home end. Went into their block for the second half and the lads around us were dead sound. Only annoying aspect was having to pay for beers on a top-up fan card.

The Wattenscheid game was moved to Friday night so opted for beer and currywurst in Bochum instead on Saturday. Was great to be back among mates I'd not seen for three years.

Looked like they were going to cling on for their first win of the season on Sunday but it wasn't to be. Worked their bolllocks off but they're just not good enough, reckon they're relegation certs as it stands.

Atmosphere was great with Ultras Bochum setting the tone by pyroing a home game (a rare occurrence) in protest at Bochum fire brigade interfering with a planned tifo. The Köln end looked great too, bouncing to a man at times.

• Like 4

On 18/08/2022 at 15:32, CosbehFox said:

Welcome to my wheelhouse lol - will have done 250 grounds within the next couple of weeks. Might go Dunstable on Sunday for 249. 

This season I am hoping to:-\

• Finally finish off the 92 - 89
  • Complete Midland Football League Premier Division 16/20
  • Complete Southern League Midlands Premier 16/22
  • Complete Northern Premier League Division 1 Midlands 14/20

I have things booked or planned for:-

• Lisbon in October - watch Sporting and hopefully fit in one of the lower league grounds which are superb 
  • Thinking of having a week off during the World Cup and possibly going down to the South coast to Hastings, Eastbourne and Lewes if the fixtures fit 
  • Greenock Morton in December 
  • Secret trip in February - basically a stag which can not confirm location but will be very good
  • Vienna derby in March
  • Edinburgh derby in April
  • If not cash strapped Berlin in May 

If somehow I can fit in Feyenoord, Belgrade derby and Bologna between now and my wedding in 2024, that would be excellent. 

Bits of advice: You'll surprised how helpful people are with tickets, if you offer them help. Italy is the best place you could ever wish to watch football and their stadiums are utterly shite which makes it glorious. You'll have a better day in towns such as Matlock, Hitchin and Leek watching football than your average away day. Anyone interested in watching Scottish football, keep an eye for the Friday nights in the Championship. You book the Friday off, take your time getting there and then watch a game on the Saturday or like I have done a game in England on the way back. 

Greenock Morton are my hometown team.