Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Groundhopping

Finally booked flights for Holland in Nov. 

Granted not ground hopping this time. But looking forward to being penned in the away end at the tub for excelsior at feyenoord. Should be a good laugh being bused in and out the away end. Not sure what the locals will make of a Leicester flag in the away end and some stickers being plastered everywhere lol

Edited by Bayfox

• 1 month later...

Off to Hamburg later today. HSV vs Sandhausen tomorrow. A Hamburg win would see them stay in a promotion place over the winter/WC break. They are expecting a near sell out crowd of over 54,000. Not bad for a second division match. Sandhausen will likely only bring 2-300, they have a small following and it is a 720 mile round trip for them.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Off to Hamburg later today. HSV vs Sandhausen tomorrow. A Hamburg win would see them stay in a promotion place over the winter/WC break. They are expecting a near sell out crowd of over 54,000. Not bad for a second division match. Sandhausen will likely only bring 2-300, they have a small following and it is a 720 mile round trip for them.

Looking forward to it.

Probably the city in Europe I'm keenest to tick off. Always looks lively whichever Hamburg club are playing at home.

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Probably the city in Europe I'm keenest to tick off. Always looks lively whichever Hamburg club are playing at home.

Been in and out of Hamburg, travelling to a festival nearby and been on a coach to an ice hockey match (turn up, watch match and leave type). Looking forward to actually staying there. Only got one full day which includes the match but at least it's a 13:00 KO. Got a busy day tomorrow where we are looking to cram a lot in.

Will report on return.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Has anyone been to see Werder Bremen at home?

Pre lockdown 2019 we booked a weekend in Hamburg with the intention of going to St Pauli.

Cocked up on the ticket front as didn't realise they sell out every game so ended up at Werder Bremen v Freiburg. Great experience in a welcoming friendly city which we didn't see enough of. Will return.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Pre lockdown 2019 we booked a weekend in Hamburg with the intention of going to St Pauli.

Cocked up on the ticket front as didn't realise they sell out every game so ended up at Werder Bremen v Freiburg. Great experience in a welcoming friendly city which we didn't see enough of. Will return.

Trick with Pauli is look who they are against as away end is far easier.

Sounds good re Bremen cheers. Looking to go there with Bochum.

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Considering St Albans on Saturday. Looks a proper non-league ground and a pleasant city to boot. 

Would recommend. The ground is ok but you sound like you would appreciate it given past posts. St Albans however is fantastic to drink in. I have just moved out of borehamwood and used to go often. The area with the most pubs per square mile in the uk. Ye olde fighting cock (oldest pub in uk), hare and hounds, Robin Hood, white lion, beehive are good. Best way is to walk up and down the high street or lower Verulamium side and hop into anywhere you think looks good. Side streets also fantastic 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Not sure if this counts as 'groundhopping' although i will be logging it in my 'grounds visited list' but going to Jersey Bulls tomorrow, step 5, in the combined counties league premier division south. The lad who sits opposite me in the office plays for them lol.

Most defo is. Them and Guernsey are grounds that the ground hopping guys get very horny about 

16 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Most defo is. Them and Guernsey are grounds that the ground hopping guys get very horny about 

Nice!!!! I will ensure I get to a guernsey game when I’m over there then! I guess the football will be dire but I got nothing better to do tomorrow and I get free tickets from work 

On 18/11/2022 at 17:05, grobyfox1990 said:

Not sure if this counts as 'groundhopping' although i will be logging it in my 'grounds visited list' but going to Jersey Bulls tomorrow, step 5, in the combined counties league premier division south. The lad who sits opposite me in the office plays for them lol.

Good afternoon, jersey lost 1-0 but were very unlucky against a team of shysters. 624 people there! I will certainly go to more matches 

• Like 2

On 14/11/2022 at 16:38, SemperEadem said:

Has anyone been to see Werder Bremen at home?

I used to travel around Germany,to various games ( BVB my 2nd club behind City)

Werder Bremen,alway an enjoyable trip,plus I was engaged in Bremen..Bought a special & unique ring.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Sutton on 10th December - not expecting much 

Dependent on England's success but I have left to my good London mate to take us wherever. 

But the food choice may be Three Uncles. Cantonese roast meat

Oh, and Melton Town - Friday night. Might look at the train and finally get to Round Corner Brewing 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2

We did Ajax-PSV at the Olympic Stadium in ‘96. The wife hates football but she likes me being happy. The air was very pungent and people looked quite happy, albeit peckish. 

Saw a preseason match at Auxerre. We rocked up to the campsite and heard a din from the stadium so popped along. Watched Laurent Blanc, Alain Goma, Franck Silvestre And Taribo West thump Dutch opposition 11-0.  

Deportivo Cali became my weekly watch for two years every home game. The atmosphere I experienced has never been equalled anywhere else. Cost something like a quid to get in too and lads would bring beer or mango to you whenever you called them over - and you didn’t need to pay until the end of the match. 

Went to all the Venezuela matches for three years - but the best was Maldonado cancelling out Forlan's earlier strike which was celebrated like a massive victory and the 2-5 loss to Brazil. 

Watching Dida, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Roque Junior, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ze Roberto, Ronaldo, Adriano and Alex was such a screaming joy. Amazingly, the attendance was given as 26,000 - there’s no way it wasn’t less than triple that and how no one died that night eludes me. Never known a crush like it. 

Football heaven. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to Bilbao and Sociedad this weekend for a former poster's stag do at the weekend. 

I went out a day early as I'd always wanted to visit Bilbao and rotten luck for the stag trip but the game at the San Mames was on the Friday night. 

Highly recommend it - proper football city, it's probably one of the best modern stadiums I've been and their support is cracking. Got lucky with the game too - 4-1 with a hat-trick and red card. Also had the best day of weather on Friday. 

Sunday morning whilst most were in recovery went to Club Portugalete v Durango. Good experience but game was scrappy as anything. Real traditional feel with the old fellas constantly complaining on the sidelines. 

Then I'd arranged a bus for us to go San Sebastián - another good job in developing a stadium but La Real were pants, atmosphere in the ground nowhere the same as Athletic. Outside it's really nice with the bars filled out and sprawling on the streets. Surprised that both Cadiz and Valladolid took nearly full away ends. We passed Eibar's ground on the bus - mad how tight in that is. 

Bit more for the travel section but the Basque Country is stunning. The flightpath in is beautiful with the snow on the hills and coastline below. Really green 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 4