Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Groundhopping

Thought it'd be worth having a thread for football trips people are doing at home and abroad as neutrals. Always like reading about others' experiences.

Doing a three-day weekender by train to Holland and Germany next month involving:

MVV Maastricht v Jong Ajax (Friday)

Wattenscheid v Straelen (Saturday)

Bochum v Köln (Sunday)

Looking forward to Maastricht as I've never been to a game in Holland before and their fans look pretty crackers to boot.

So, where's everyone off to and what tips do people have for each other?

• Like 4

Bochum vs Gladbach in the not too distant future.

Really want to go back to see Valerenga play and do have an invite to on the the terraces at Marseille which I really ought to take the offer up of.

The second weekend of the winter break a load of the Valerenga lads are coming I think about 8 of them. They are wanting to do a load of non league games over here so will look to get a full weekend with them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Welcome to my wheelhouse lol - will have done 250 grounds within the next couple of weeks. Might go Dunstable on Sunday for 249. 

This season I am hoping to:-\

• Finally finish off the 92 - 89
  • Complete Midland Football League Premier Division 16/20
  • Complete Southern League Midlands Premier 16/22
  • Complete Northern Premier League Division 1 Midlands 14/20

I have things booked or planned for:-

• Lisbon in October - watch Sporting and hopefully fit in one of the lower league grounds which are superb 
  • Thinking of having a week off during the World Cup and possibly going down to the South coast to Hastings, Eastbourne and Lewes if the fixtures fit 
  • Greenock Morton in December 
  • Secret trip in February - basically a stag which can not confirm location but will be very good
  • Vienna derby in March
  • Edinburgh derby in April
  • If not cash strapped Berlin in May 

If somehow I can fit in Feyenoord, Belgrade derby and Bologna between now and my wedding in 2024, that would be excellent. 

Bits of advice: You'll surprised how helpful people are with tickets, if you offer them help. Italy is the best place you could ever wish to watch football and their stadiums are utterly shite which makes it glorious. You'll have a better day in towns such as Matlock, Hitchin and Leek watching football than your average away day. Anyone interested in watching Scottish football, keep an eye for the Friday nights in the Championship. You book the Friday off, take your time getting there and then watch a game on the Saturday or like I have done a game in England on the way back. 

This is a great idea!

Well, it all sound class tbf, but there is something seriously underrated about being outside your home town or city when major tournaments are on.

13 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Saw some photos that they had some really great art murals of ex players and big moments in history. 

Not seen the Don’s play there yet tbh.Started to watch the London Bronco’s RL after a long break.1500 is a good gate for them these days.I have no doubt that a near full house would create a great atmosphere.Looks like the fans had a big say in it’s construction.With the nice little pointers to it’s past etc.

Plans to get out to Holland for Feyenoord v Excelsior in Nov before the break for the WC kicks in but not sure if that's a quick in and out for that game only.

Also plan to do Sparta v Excelsior in Jan same day as our trip to Notts Forest.

Probably try to squeeze in a Thursday to Monday trip at somepoint as well and get 3 games in. Probably Feb half term and to get a Excelsior home game in. Although of there's potential to extend the stay and get some European action in as well, I wouldn't be adverse to getting I the Ajax end for a game and a repeat trip to PSV. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Thought it'd be worth having a thread for football trips people are doing at home and abroad as neutrals. Always like reading about others' experiences.

Doing a three-day weekender by train to Holland and Germany next month involving:

MVV Maastricht v Jong Ajax (Friday)

Wattenscheid v Straelen (Saturday)

Bochum v Köln (Sunday)

Looking forward to Maastricht as I've never been to a game in Holland before and their fans look pretty crackers to boot.

So, where's everyone off to and what tips do people have for each other?

Sure you have it all mapped out. But just be aware Maastricht is a good few hours on the train from Amsterdam or Rotterdam etc.  Obviously like most places in Europe travel is pretty good, but you've picked about as far south as you can go. 

I was due to go see Excelsior play there on the Friday after our game at PSV but because they cancelled the supporters bus. I couldn't get back via train after the match. Assume you are probably staying there overnight.

I love the Dutch football culture and they seem to love seeing ground hoppers from the UK especially at the smaller grounds.

I'm hoping to do 5 trips out there this season.

17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Welcome to my wheelhouse lol - will have done 250 grounds within the next couple of weeks. Might go Dunstable on Sunday for 249. 

What are the grounds you need to complete the "92"?

9 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Sure you have it all mapped out. But just be aware Maastricht is a good few hours on the train from Amsterdam or Rotterdam etc.  Obviously like most places in Europe travel is pretty good, but you've picked about as far south as you can go. 

I was due to go see Excelsior play there on the Friday after our game at PSV but because they cancelled the supporters bus. I couldn't get back via train after the match. Assume you are probably staying there overnight.

I love the Dutch football culture and they seem to love seeing ground hoppers from the UK especially at the smaller grounds.

I'm hoping to do 5 trips out there this season.

We're actually going on the Eurostar via Brussels and then Liege, with only a 20 and 9 minute window for changes respectively in order to make kick-off! It's never as much fun when you make it easy for yourself. ;)

Original plan was to do a game in Belgium on the Friday night before going on to Germany the next day, but their fixtures for that weekend were only going to be released two or three weeks before we were due to travel so we set our sights over the border instead. I think Utrecht would also just have been doable but would have been far more expensive. Been meaning to get to a Dutch game for years so excited for this one, plus we're staying in a hotel on a boat. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

What are the grounds you need to complete the "92"?

Sutton, Harrogate, Spurs (have visited for NFL) 

I take my time with it - going sound weird but often tie it in with a weekend away with the better half when it’s not a LCFC awayday 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

• Lisbon in October - watch Sporting and hopefully fit in one of the lower league grounds which are superb 
  • Thinking of having a week off during the World Cup and possibly going down to the South coast to Hastings, Eastbourne and Lewes if the fixtures fit 
  • Secret trip in February - basically a stag which can not confirm location but will be very good
  • Vienna derby in March

If somehow I can fit in Feyenoord, Belgrade derby and Bologna between now and my wedding in 2024, that would be excellent. 

Bits of advice: You'll surprised how helpful people are with tickets, if you offer them help. Italy is the best place you could ever wish to watch football and their stadiums are utterly shite which makes it glorious. You'll have a better day in towns such as Matlock, Hitchin and Leek watching football than your average away day. Anyone interested in watching Scottish football, keep an eye for the Friday nights in the Championship. You book the Friday off, take your time getting there and then watch a game on the Saturday or like I have done a game in England on the way back. 

Fair play, how do you get away with all of that!!!

Been trying to plan a trip to Hamburg to visit a friend who is a HSV STH. He goes home and away and has been over here for a Leicester game or two. Have been eyeing up early November. Fixtures are not confirmed for another 2 weeks or so.

Have also played with the idea of going to "visit family" first weekend in November (Friday to Monday). Plan would be:

Friday Krefeld ice hockey match (unfortunately division 2 now...)

Saturday (hopefully if fixture is Saturday) Dortmund vs Bochum

Sunday local Krefeld team in 6th division

Or I might mix and match with the Hamburg game if it falls kindly. So my mission is to get to Hamburg and get a Bochum game in again this season.

Will depend on finances and if I can get away for 4 days.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Been trying to plan a trip to Hamburg to visit a friend who is a HSV STH. He goes home and away and has been over here for a Leicester game or two. Have been eyeing up early November. Fixtures are not confirmed for another 2 weeks or so.

Have also played with the idea of going to "visit family" first weekend in November (Friday to Monday). Plan would be:

Friday Krefeld ice hockey match (unfortunately division 2 now...)

Saturday (hopefully if fixture is Saturday) Dortmund vs Bochum

Sunday local Krefeld team in 6th division

Or I might mix and match with the Hamburg game if it falls kindly. So my mission is to get to Hamburg and get a Bochum game in again this season.

Will depend on finances and if I can get away for 4 days.

Went to HSV vs Werder Bremen about 8 years ago. 

Very moody derby if you ever get the chance to go. 

8 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

We're actually going on the Eurostar via Brussels and then Liege, with only a 20 and 9 minute window for changes respectively in order to make kick-off! It's never as much fun when you make it easy for yourself. ;)

Original plan was to do a game in Belgium on the Friday night before going on to Germany the next day, but their fixtures for that weekend were only going to be released two or three weeks before we were due to travel so we set our sights over the border instead. I think Utrecht would also just have been doable but would have been far more expensive. Been meaning to get to a Dutch game for years so excited for this one, plus we're staying in a hotel on a boat. lol

I've done Utrecht for a game v Vittese last time I was over lovely place. As I say missed out on Maastricht. Let me know how you find it. Always gonna be a bit of bugger for us as we always base ourself in rotterdam 

If you ever fancy a longer trip in Holland there's a few of us that go over and do the 3 games in a weekend. Great country to get round relatively easily. I did Eindhoven, Rotterdam and the Hauge in 3 days with the lad when we played PSV. 

And tickets are easy to come by for us as Excelsiors ticket office just contact the clubs we want to visit and they leave tickets at reception for the clubs.

Think I've done, Excelsior, ADO, Ajax, Breda, Vittese, Utrecht, PSV. some of them more than once. De Kiup is the bucket list one hence trying to go this season. But will be in the away end so bused in an out. Guess it will give me some time to sticker the tunnel with UFS stickers lol

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

When I met my partner, I think she quickly realised I was a footy statto. It helps that we often make weekends of it all. Of those games lined up for this year, that’s a handy turn of events in some cases. The called off trip to Albania has paid for Lisbon (my dad coming with me) and Vienna (OH in tow). Edinburgh, a friend of hers is due to start a masters up there, so that’s a weekend away. 

Where I am fortunate is that we both agree that each other can occasionally do with our own time to do our hobbies. That’s like when I go Morton, she will be away with her mates, so I like the solitary on occasion of a long drive with a load of music I fancy listening too, I’ll stop off for something of interest and then nap in a hotel room. Just clears the head, a day out of work.

A good number of those 248 are non league within 30 mins of home. Then I occasionally have to work long distance, so I’ll watch a game on the way back or if I stay over, it’s a good way to kill an evening and get work to pay for the grub/petrol. 

My Dad took me to places when I was young like Nuneaton’s old ground, Kettering’s old ground, Rushden, Burton’s old ground etc kinda started it all. 

Rockingham Road is where my love for football started. Can't beat the old terraces, piss running down them and all :thumbup:

• Like 2

On 18/08/2022 at 15:32, Cardiff_Fox said:

• Vienna derby in March

Fantastic, I’d go as far as inspirational, certainly to me! Looking at flight to Glasgow, never been to Celtic or rangers 

• Like 1