Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
taupe

Antibiotics - how !ong will I feel like crap for?

I'm on day 3 of 500mg metronidazole 3 times a day and feel rough. As I'm on them for 2 weeks (which seems quite a long time and a highish dose) I'm not looking forward to it.

Am I likely to feel like shit for the entire time or only until the crap's flushed out of the system?

3 minutes ago, taupe said:

I'm on day 3 of 500mg metronidazole 3 times a day and feel rough. As I'm on them for 2 weeks (which seems quite a long time and a highish dose) I'm not looking forward to it.

Am I likely to feel like shit for the entire time or only until the crap's flushed out of the system?

I think it all depends on what type of infection you've got and how bad it is really. 

Some antibiotics can start to have an effect after a couple of days and some take a couple of weeks.

The most important thing is to complete the full course of treatment and then review after that. Get well soon!

• Like 2

I noticed effects pretty much from day 1 but nothing too bad. Today though, it's a different matter. Really not looking forward to feeling like this for another 11 days. 

I know antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria etc but I was kinda hoping I'd only feel rough whilst I was flushed of the bad stuff, so maybe/hopefully not all of that time.

1 minute ago, taupe said:

I noticed effects pretty much from day 1 but nothing too bad. Today though, it's a different matter. Really not looking forward to feeling like this for another 11 days. 

I know antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria etc but I was kinda hoping I'd only feel rough whilst I was flushed of the bad stuff, so maybe/hopefully not all of that time.

Some antibiotics are just EVIL!

ciprofloxacin makes you feel stoned and sick at the same time

Consultants and their teams often modify medicines, routes and dosages on hospital rounds due to individual rections and test results.

Your GP or an outpatient clinic might not have those resources..... or desire... to monitor so closely.

People often claim allergies to Metronizadole due to previous side effects but it is usually not an allergy..... sometimes it is just a case of taking your medicine.

There is the possibility that the infection is worsening and that is what is doing for you, not the met.

Either way, if you feel like shit ask the clinic or GP for a review and specifically to check infection markers-

A good GP should be doing that anyway....... but you are at the helm mate, make a fuss

EDIT... meant to say that Metronizadole and alcohol is the original sin..... i believe it was the inspiration for the antibuse regime...... so cut any evening sherry

Edited by He aint bald
  • Like 2

Dentist in my case, rather than doc. He did warn me that I could feel bad and that it's not the meds themselves doing that but dead bacteria, microbes etc being flushed from the system. It's tolerable but 2 weeks of it is going to test my resolve. He also told me absolutely no alcohol! Tbh, that bit won't be difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taupe said:

Dentist in my case, rather than doc. He did warn me that I could feel bad and that it's not the meds themselves doing that but dead bacteria, microbes etc being flushed from the system. It's tolerable but 2 weeks of it is going to test my resolve. He also told me absolutely no alcohol! Tbh, that bit won't be difficult.

drink copious amounts of water to hydrate your blood as much as possible and this can lessen  the effects of the junk in your blood. Try to drink 80 fl oz a day . That’s about 2200 MLS if you’re in the UK

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MPH said:

drink copious amounts of water to hydrate your blood as much as possible and this can lessen  the effects of the junk in your blood. Try to drink 80 fl oz a day . That’s about 2200 MLS if you’re in the UK

To be fair, drinking a couple of litres of water a day is just good common practice, even in good health.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

To be fair, drinking a couple of litres of water a day is just good common practice, even in good health.

Yes it is. I drink 100 fl oz a day. I used to get bad migraines but don’t any more. Possibly a coincidence some might say but they went the week I started drinking so much water.

9 hours ago, MPH said:

Cheers. I tend to drink a lot normally anyway (not quite the 'recommended' 2L because I'd be peeng non-stop!) but the dentist did tell me to increase it. As a rule, I probably drink around 40 fl oz per day of water plus coffee/tea etc. I do the 'pee colour' test to gauge if I'm drinking enough.

17 minutes ago, taupe said:

Cheers. I tend to drink a lot normally anyway (not quite the 'recommended' 2L because I'd be peeng non-stop!) but the dentist did tell me to increase it. As a rule, I probably drink around 40 fl oz per day of water plus coffee/tea etc. I do the 'pee colour' test to gauge if I'm drinking enough.

If it isn't Blue you're a plastic!

13 minutes ago, taupe said:

Thanks for the help so far. Has anyone any experience as to how long they felt rubbish for? The entire duration of the prescription? Or only until they were rid of the infection/whatever?

Please be cautious about expecting your experiences with antibiotics to be the same as others.  It's good general information but you as an individual will have your own particular reaction to a drug.  For example my wife and I were both prescribed the same medicine for the same condition, I had very little reaction and could get on with my life as normal, my wife suffered quite badly, she felt sick and was in pain - eventually she was taken off the drug and prescribed an alternative which worked without the severe side effects.

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

Please be cautious about expecting your experiences with antibiotics to be the same as others. 

Fret not, I don't have those expectations. Think of it more as research, as me collecting anecdotes to enable me to have some idea of the range of experiences.

5 hours ago, taupe said:

Cheers. I tend to drink a lot normally anyway (not quite the 'recommended' 2L because I'd be peeng non-stop!) but the dentist did tell me to increase it. As a rule, I probably drink around 40 fl oz per day of water plus coffee/tea etc. I do the 'pee taste' test to gauge if I'm drinking enough.

Nauseous, headache. achy, fatigued, dizziness in waves. All things that I'd been told to expect, not that that makes me feel any better! The ill feelings come and go and not in sync with taking the tablets. Only 10 days to go, I'll manage. Hardly up there on the scale of things.

Thank you for asking.  :) 

Edit: I'm sleeping perfectly well and that, in my book, is a good thing. Not even waking needing a pee which, given my increased water consumption, is rather amazing! No diarrhoea nor vomiting either (both listed symptoms) which is brilliant. The squits really is one those things that batters my morale.

Edited by taupe