Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Log Burners...

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yes. Short term just like being around any other fire for any length of time unless it's really well ventilated, long term from the particulate matter that such burners release into the atmosphere no matter how efficient they claim to be.

Burning any solid carbon sources outside the most controlled environment will always release substances damaging to humans and other species.

It is the particulate matter released that concerns me most

56 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

It is the particulate matter released that concerns me most

Radio4s You and Yours devoted a good half an hour on this subject a few weeks back.They had a Guardian newspaper columnist who had gone full on down the wood burner route when renovating his house 14 years ago.He bitterly regretted it.His worry wasn’t just the outside environment but the health risk indoors.

Disputed by a guest wood stove company boss man for balance.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looked into a quote for one of these. Didn't think it was too bad. Then realised he hadn't even got to the point of cost for the actual stove.

£1500 for opening up the fireplace (as mine is not quite big enough)

£1200 for fitting.

£1300 for the stove.

All in all, £4000 to warm one room of my house. Compared to £2400 per room for internal insulation or the £4000 I payed for 6 solar panels, it's not even worth looking at. 

10 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Looked into a quote for one of these. Didn't think it was too bad. Then realised he hadn't even got to the point of cost for the actual stove.

£1500 for opening up the fireplace (as mine is not quite big enough)

£1200 for fitting.

£1300 for the stove.

All in all, £4000 to warm one room of my house. Compared to £2400 per room for internal insulation or the £4000 I payed for 6 solar panels, it's not even worth looking at. 

They are nice and cosy though....

But yes they aren't cheap and you probably won't get your money back except for the value it adds to the house.

18 hours ago, weller54 said:

Using half the amount compared with softwood!..burns much better too (hotter)...

Paid £80 for a tonne and reckon it was last me a couple of months.

3 tonne bags of hardwood here (neatly stacked in 3 rows…. Should see us though to the summer at least 

hardwood is hugely different…. We get through 8 or 10 logs a night…

b32YZO8.jpg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

A study has just come out in the States that appears to have established a link between quite low levels of particulate pollution and increased levels of depression/mental health problems.

I can post a link but it's pretty dry academic stuff.

As if making us infertile, increasing the risk of dementia and making COVID worse wasn't depressing enough, it's making us unhappy in itself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A study has just come out in the States that appears to have established a link between quite low levels of particulate pollution and increased levels of depression/mental health problems.

I can post a link but it's pretty dry academic stuff.

As if making us infertile, increasing the risk of dementia and making COVID worse wasn't depressing enough, it's making us unhappy in itself

.... but apparently it's "too costly" to implement greener solutions.

Too costly compared to what, I wonder?

On 28/01/2023 at 15:21, Wolfox said:

3 tonne bags of hardwood here (neatly stacked in 3 rows…. Should see us though to the summer at least 

hardwood is hugely different…. We get through 8 or 10 logs a night…

b32YZO8.jpg

Can I ask how much you pay per cubic metre? Just ordered 3 tonnes and it was about £130 per cubic metre.

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Given the potential significance of the other stuff being looked at I did think it was a somewhat niche research area

Well, yeah.

Speaking more generally, I would have thought a lot of people familiar with even the vaguest idea of what happens when you burn pretty much any solid carbon source would have an inkling of those issues.

Mind you, lead in petrol messed a lot of people up in horrible fashion and we didn't give that up for several decades, either.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Well, yeah.

Speaking more generally, I would have thought a lot of people familiar with even the vaguest idea of what happens when you burn pretty much any solid carbon source would have an inkling of those issues.

Mind you, lead in petrol messed a lot of people up in horrible fashion and we didn't give that up for several decades, either.

It does seem odd that as we move towards a greener world in some areas that we somewhat regress in others

27 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

It does seem odd that as we move towards a greener world in some areas that we somewhat regress in others

Yeh but we need the regresser's as a natural part of evolution. Just like the covid deniers, anti-vaxxers etc, those that think polluting fuels/energy sources are viable long-term will get darwin'd out of here. We can't all win in life, need some bobbleheads to maintain the balance. Not that users of simple log burners fit the bill, I'm describing policymakers who are firing up large scale coal plants.

Edited by grobyfox1990

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh but we need the regresser's as a natural part of evolution. Just like the covid deniers, anti-vaxxers etc, those that think polluting fuels/energy sources are viable long-term will get darwin'd out of here. We can't all win in life, need some bobbleheads to maintain the balance. Not that users of simple log burners fit the bill, I'm describing policymakers who are firing up large scale coal 

If it was just bobbleheads that were to suffer from the air pollution 

1 minute ago, adam1 said:

Think it applies only to smoke control zones.

A quick google,

Charnwood Borough doesn't have any.

Oadby (specifically not the council area as a whole) is in one

Leicester is one(?)

Most of blaby district is a smoke control zone. You just need the right wood burner and most of them are these days .