Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Log Burners...

3 hours ago, weller54 said:

Thanks...I brought the 'Fireline' logburner off a lady on FB marketplace.. she'd only had it installed for 3 months but didn't like the dust and mess it made... paid £360 for it... got 11 metre chimney liner, brand new for £40!..got someone to fit that for £120... fitted everything else up myself, chimney register plate etc.... total £650!!   Was getting crazy quotes to fit it...£2000 ish!!

It's not rocket science FFS 😂

As long as you installer i/ person who signed off the install is a competent person with HETAS registration or similar you should be good.  If not you may not have building regs approval and your insurance could refuse to pay out if the worst happens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, weller54 said:

This is what I don't quite understand...

The branches I'm finding have clearly been 'off the tree ' for sometime...so why do I have to wait a year or two to burn them??... haven't they already been 'seasoned '?

When you get a branch, if it breaks easily and has no green wood inside then it’s fine to burn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoonerJeeves said:

She shouldn't. Wood is a carbon neutral energy source. 

https://www.science.org/content/article/wood-green-source-energy-scientists-are-divided

It's not quite so simple as that - we simply can't be sure right now.

Speaking personally, I find an increase of any utilisation of energy that requires burning and releasing CO2 - whether coal, gas, oil or wood - as potentially alarming until conclusively proven to not contribute to overall emissions and therefore global temperature increase.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MPH said:

When you get a branch, if it breaks easily and has no green wood inside then it’s fine to burn.

Yes that's exactly what I've been doing... sometimes there's bark on them that's wet, but I trim that off, let the wood dry out for a couple of weeks and then burn it..

The fire bricks inside the burner are always clean and the fire burns very hot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

You're absolutely right. Also, @yorkie1999 asks who'll find out? Well, the house holder will when he has a chimney fire caused by all the creosote created in his chimney from burning wet/damp wood.

Much cheaper to rebuild your house after a chimney fire caused by burning any old shit than to buy appropriate wood. 

18 hours ago, weller54 said:

Two ton bags....2 months usage?

that should do us 4 month is I would have thought, we don’t put the fire on every night

20 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Much cheaper to rebuild your house after a chimney fire caused by burning any old shit than to buy appropriate wood. 

This about sums it up, plus it’s potentially iffy ecologically- why gamble?

I can tell you my parents hotel/ pub in N Yorks burned down (White Swan - Middleham) as a result of a chimney fire….   All sorts of stuff was bunged on the fire by the punters…. A building that dated back to the 15th century in some parts was massively damaged…. Why risk it?

5 hours ago, David Hankey said:

You need to have your chimney swept every year to be on the safe side, at around £70 it will give you peace of mind.

Ours is done every year. Plus we make sure that the burn is at least 200 degrees to ensure the creosote is cleared on the second burn.

Sometimes we do burn damp wood but only once the fire is really hot

22 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.science.org/content/article/wood-green-source-energy-scientists-are-divided

It's not quite so simple as that - we simply can't be sure right now.

Speaking personally, I find an increase of any utilisation of energy that requires burning and releasing CO2 - whether coal, gas, oil or wood - as potentially alarming until conclusively proven to not contribute to overall emissions and therefore global temperature increase.

Using 'scrap' wood or trees that are cut down for other reasons would be carbon neutral though?

This article is more about wood pellet production, which  as with a lot of eco ideas doesn't seem to add up.

32 minutes ago, kenny said:

Using 'scrap' wood or trees that are cut down for other reasons would be carbon neutral though?

This article is more about wood pellet production, which  as with a lot of eco ideas doesn't seem to add up.

May I ask why it would be?

I don't see much difference between the wood pellets and "scrap" wood in terms of burning the things, the only difference would be whatever resources it would take to turn the wood into a pellet and I would imagine that's reasonably negligible by comparison.

Burning a carbon based item produces carbon dioxide. That's a given, and it releases the carbon that tree had previously stored all at once. I'm not seeing the payoff environmentally here.

7 hours ago, leicsmac said:

May I ask why it would be?

I don't see much difference between the wood pellets and "scrap" wood in terms of burning the things, the only difference would be whatever resources it would take to turn the wood into a pellet and I would imagine that's reasonably negligible by comparison.

Burning a carbon based item produces carbon dioxide. That's a given, and it releases the carbon that tree had previously stored all at once. I'm not seeing the payoff environmentally here.

The wood in question has already served its purpose so any embedded carbon has been counted for. As such, it's a carbon neutral source even if it then releases co2 in the atmosphere.

Wood that is chopped and processed for energy production is quite different?

1 hour ago, kenny said:

The wood in question has already served its purpose so any embedded carbon has been counted for. As such, it's a carbon neutral source even if it then releases co2 in the atmosphere.

Wood that is chopped and processed for energy production is quite different?

I think I understand where you're coming from here, though I would maintain that the difference between burning loose wood and pellets isn't necessarily that big.

IMO it seems counterintuitive because burning anything carbon related will release carbon dioxide, that the thing you're burning took some carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere in the first place just means you're evening the score rather than reducing the amount of emissions more by not burning it at all, as we perhaps could if better options were available.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think I understand where you're coming from here, though I would maintain that the difference between burning loose wood and pellets isn't necessarily that big.

IMO it seems counterintuitive because burning anything carbon related will release carbon dioxide, that the thing you're burning took some carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere in the first place just means you're evening the score rather than reducing the amount of emissions more by not burning it at all, as we perhaps could if better options were available.

Currently my option is wood or gas.

Better recycled wood where the embedded carbon has been accounted for in a lifecycle assessment elsewhere than wood that has been grown for burning.

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

Currently my option is wood or gas.

Better recycled wood where the embedded carbon has been accounted for in a lifecycle assessment elsewhere than wood that has been grown for burning.

Certainly, if those are the only two options.

Let's hope that in the future there are more.

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

Solar powered heating is available.

The 0.1kwh I've generated so far today should keep me cosy!

...hence my comment "in the future". (Hopefully involving a multitude of solutions including solar)

And we need that future, because the alternative might be a bit grim.

Disappointed not to see subsidised giant human-sized hamster wheels being made available in the Autumn statement. Generate heat, electricity AND fix the obesity crisis in one fell swoop.

Now that Elon Musk is presumably much closer to killing himself by having his Tesla Model X crash into a ravine while he masturbates we need a new visionary to step up.

Vote Bellend, you can thank me later

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2022 at 21:08, weller54 said:

Thanks...I brought the 'Fireline' logburner off a lady on FB marketplace.. she'd only had it installed for 3 months but didn't like the dust and mess it made... paid £360 for it... got 11 metre chimney liner, brand new for £40!..got someone to fit that for £120... fitted everything else up myself, chimney register plate etc.... total £650!!   Was getting crazy quotes to fit it...£2000 ish!!

It's not rocket science FFS 😂

They have to be fitted by a qualified heta engineer. If you come to sell your house, or rent it out, you will need to provide the certificate. You also have to have a CO monitor in the room.

We forage our wood, usually after a good storm when there are a few trees down. It's well worth investing in a decent  chainsaw and axe for cutting and splitting the logs, which we then store for use the following year after they have dried out properly. A cheap moisture meter let's you know when they are ready.

The best wood is hardwood such as fruit trees, oak and Ash (which does not need to be seasoned for as long).

Avoid pine as the resin will coat your flue and, unless you get it swept regularly can become a fire hazard.

Pallets make great kindling.

Had ours for about 5 years and never bought a stick of wood.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, urban fox said:

They have to be fitted by a qualified heta engineer. If you come to sell your house, or rent it out, you will need to provide the certificate. You also have to have a CO monitor in the room.

We forage our wood, usually after a good storm when there are a few trees down. It's well worth investing in a decent  chainsaw and axe for cutting and splitting the logs, which we then store for use the following year after they have dried out properly. A cheap moisture meter let's you know when they are ready.

The best wood is hardwood such as fruit trees, oak and Ash (which does not need to be seasoned for as long).

Avoid pine as the resin will coat your flue and, unless you get it swept regularly can become a fire hazard.

Pallets make great kindling.

Had ours for about 5 years and never bought a stick of wood.

I installed a Carbon monoxide meter...

Don't intend selling or renting out the house so the inspection isn't relevant to us...

I'm very confident that I've installed it properly, to be honest I can't see what you can get wrong?.. there's plenty of good advice about installation on the net.

Definitely agree about pallets, they've burned very cleanly.

Thanks for your advice though.

Edited by weller54