Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Log Burners...

16 minutes ago, urban fox said:

You're welcome.  Does look good. Not only will you cut your heating costs but nothing beats a real fire to create a lovely cosy feel to a room.

it can be quite entertaining just watching the flames too.

Absolutely!..

It has transformed the feel of our living room in these cold, dark winter evenings.

Had a new one fitted 2 years ago that is so much more efficient than the others I had in the house. This one now only goes through 4-5 logs in a whole day and you can wake up the next day and it's still a warm room and get it going again from the embers if you really want. Heats a massive stone floored vaulted ceiling kitchen that's a bastard to deal with as well.

My only annoyance is the gaff I get logs from are now charing £130 a bag. Anyone got any recommendations? I live over Hinckley way. 

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Had a new one fitted 2 years ago that is so much more efficient than the others I had in the house. This one now only goes through 4-5 logs in a whole day and you can wake up the next day and it's still a warm room and get it going again from the embers if you really want.

Strewth RF, that's good going.

I'm thrilled with our burner (Stovax Stockton 6) which we've had for 12 years now but we easily burn that amount in an evening - 4 or 5 hours.

What size logs do you use? Ours are approx 3in dia and about 9in long.

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Strewth RF, that's good going.

I'm thrilled with our burner (Stovax Stockton 6) which we've had for 12 years now but we easily burn that amount in an evening - 4 or 5 hours.

What size logs do you use? Ours are approx 3in dia and about 9in long.

The logs I use are chunky, couldn't tell you the exact size but what I'd class as standard logs. Our old log burner would do 20+ a day easily.

On 19/11/2022 at 08:54, Bellend Sebastian said:

Disappointed not to see subsidised giant human-sized hamster wheels being made available in the Autumn statement. Generate heat, electricity AND fix the obesity crisis in one fell swoop.

Now that Elon Musk is presumably much closer to killing himself by having his Tesla Model X crash into a ravine while he masturbates we need a new visionary to step up.

Vote Bellend, you can thank me later

I think we've voted for enough already, I guess one more won't hurt.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Had a new one fitted 2 years ago that is so much more efficient than the others I had in the house. This one now only goes through 4-5 logs in a whole day and you can wake up the next day and it's still a warm room and get it going again from the embers if you really want. Heats a massive stone floored vaulted ceiling kitchen that's a bastard to deal with as well.

My only annoyance is the gaff I get logs from are now charing £130 a bag. Anyone got any recommendations? I live over Hinckley way. 

When you say a whole day, do you mean just evenings?

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No I mean all day.

My dad used to get his from the council, think it was somewhere near beaumont leys, I'll ask him. Basically you turn up and for a tenner you can fit as much as you want in your boot. So either take some or fill it to the rafters. It was a bargain but an effort rather than getting them delivered to your house.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, weller54 said:

That's unbelievable!!..

Yeah it's superb. Get two on when it's first lit etc and they'll last a good 3-4 hours and then just add 1 every 3 hours or so. We often then don't bother sticking anymore on past early evening and it'll still be warm the next morning, so much so you can sometimes get the embers going again and get another log on. Definitely if used it and put a 1-2 on before going to bed, it'll still be red hot the next morning to get going again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Ordered a ton of hardwood logs and can't believe the difference!... they last twice as long as soft wood logs and burn hotter!

Grabbed a load of oak joists the other day and they do burn 80-100 degrees hotter than modern rubbish softwood. I'm working through a load of 1930s joists which are 50 degrees hotter than modern softwoods.

It's the density of the timber that makes the real difference.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Got a link? I'm still new to this, been using coal most of winter but this sounds interesting. 

My first winter with a log burner too, so a learning curve.

Ive collected a lot of downed branches and used them too.. they've been off the tree for a long time so in my eyes the wood is seasoned?.... bought a tonne of softwood logs to compliment my logs but they burnt very quickly!!....

So tried the hardwood route and it's far far superior to burn.

If you Google 'burning hardwood in logburner' that will bring up a lot of information on the subject.

10 minutes ago, weller54 said:

My first winter with a log burner too, so a learning curve.

Ive collected a lot of downed branches and used them too.. they've been off the tree for a long time so in my eyes the wood is seasoned?.... bought a tonne of softwood logs to compliment my logs but they burnt very quickly!!....

So tried the hardwood route and it's far far superior to burn.

If you Google 'burning hardwood in logburner' that will bring up a lot of information on the subject.

I have bought the cheap small bags you see at petrol stations or at BM. Those can burn in literally minutes, they seem cheap but if you are buying hardwood is the way to go.

That aside, if its free then it doesn't matter how quickly it goes. The stuff you forage doesn't matter how quickly it burns as long as it's heating your home!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

I have bought the cheap small bags you see at petrol stations or at BM. Those can burn in literally minutes, they seem cheap but if you are buying hardwood is the way to go.

That aside, if its free then it doesn't matter how quickly it goes. The stuff you forage doesn't matter how quickly it burns as long as it's heating your home!

Foraged wood+hardwood is definitely the way to go!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Foraged wood+hardwood is definitely the way to go!!

The smokeless briquettes are also worth buying, tend to keep a bag in to top up from time to time. They have a higher calorific value than hardwood.

They don't produce a pretty fire though.

12 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Are there legitimate concerns about serious health issues regarding pollutants caused by log burners?

Yes. Short term just like being around any other fire for any length of time unless it's really well ventilated, long term from the particulate matter that such burners release into the atmosphere no matter how efficient they claim to be.

Burning any solid carbon sources outside the most controlled environment will always release substances damaging to humans and other species.

• Thanks 1