Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2023

43 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Protest in front of Parliament. Stand behind the news presenters like Stephen Bray has about Brexit for years. Stand at the end of Downing Street shouting. March through the centre of major cities. Get yourself on shows like Question Time to face minister directly. Publicly put pressure on car and energy firms to speed up the transition to move away from fossil fuels.

For all this guy knows, everyone watching that match tonight and in the crowd supports his causes wholeheartedly and they've ruined their evening. I think the difference with the suffragettes is that most people didn't agree with them and they had to force people to see their side. I think most people want things to improve but we do what we can individually, we recycle, we try to drive less, if we can afford it we buy electric cars etc. But we can't fund renewable energy or solar panel fields, we can't build wind farms we can produce car batteries or build the infrastructure to recharge these cars, that not on us, that's not on the audience at the Crucible or Robert Milkins or Joe Perry. It's on our governments. Sitting on a snooker table won't make them listen, making the publics life harder won't make them listen (the public won't turn on the government either they'll turn on the protester). The people who need to listen are the people who need targeting. Get down to Westminster, Downing Street, throw paint over the headquarters of Toyota or Ford etc. Knock yourselves our doing that stuff. A lot of the recent stuff seems totally irrelevant to the subject and has created a situation where the act of protest is the topic of discussion and not the actual thing they are protesting.

As much as I agree with you on the above being true, scientists and science communicators have been doing the above to try and influence policy in the ways demonstrated above for rather a long time, and we're still sadly not doing enough, as current data clearly shows.

So what can be done?

As I said above, I actually have no idea what will get those with the power to change things moving fast enough to avoid serious unrest and a lot of blood on the floor in the future. I wish I did.

Anyhow, we should probably move this to the dedicated Sci thread if we want to discuss it further.

On topic, I hope Hossein gives Ronnie a good game.

Used to follow snooker a lot when I was younger, less so now. Still like watching Ronnie and Selby play.

I hope the mindless morons who protested yesterday get a good kicking. Absolutely loads of legislative work going on in the background, with international standards developing rapidly and coming into law at a furious pace, and the UK leading this.... all ruined by these criminal thugs. Now Joe public confuses the climate agenda with Harry Roberts who lives off his dad and wants to cause a scene, but has no idea about what sustainability actually means and how to achieve a transitional economy. Brutally beat him up

EDIT - just seen this discussed above lol 

Edited by grobyfox1990

49 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I agree with you in principle. And I agree with the protest. I just, and this may be my issue, I just can’t stand middle class folk. Being able to do these protests in the first place is a massive privilege. I couldn’t afford to take time off work. I couldn’t afford tickets to the snooker just to protest. I certainly couldn’t afford the risk of arrest. It would destroy my entire life. Generally speaking these people are highly privileged and can risk these things because they don’t NEED to work. I lived with a guy who was big into the occupy movement at the time. Spent weeks sat in a nice green square in Edinburgh lecturing people. People that just wanted to get to work. Months later he said he’d been to watch the rugby at Murryfield. I said that must have cost a bit? His reply? “Oh my parents got free tickets from the bank”. Cos yeah, normal people get given free rugby tickets. Again, I agreed with a lot of what he said but his methods didn’t help him and the fact he had ZERO self awareness made me just switch off. I just wish all these folk had a little more self awareness and came across as a little less condescending. As someone else said, they hardly make people WANT to be on their side. 

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong. I just think most folk that protest don’t realise what a privilege it is. 

I get that 😂

I hate clipped RP accents and trustafarians as much as the next dyed in the wool Jarvis Cocker, but it’s not about educating or getting people onside - and that’s the bit people are missing. 

Everyone has the information, no one needs education, choices have been made. This is the find out phase following the fvcking about. Amazingly, people don’t like it. 

I don’t buy the affordability. Town centres are full of people who could cycle but won’t cycle, who could have demanded more of their councillors and MPs but didn’t, who could close the bank accounts they hold with companies that feed billions to the petrochemical industry but don’t.

People naturally have inertia, they love a status quo. This status quo is killing the planet and yet they still prefer donkey racing with dead donkeys to actually physically doing something or any form of inconvenience. That’s privilege right there  - demanding their petty little lives are uninterrupted while forests burn and coral dies. 

I can’t see it, the solution isn’t easy, therefore all of you shut up. Just shut up. 

Fvck those people far more than Tarquinius and Jocasta imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

Used to follow snooker a lot when I was younger, less so now. Still like watching Ronnie and Selby play.

I hope the mindless morons who protested yesterday get a good kicking. Absolutely loads of legislative work going on in the background, with international standards developing rapidly and coming into law at a furious pace, and the UK leading this.... all ruined by these criminal thugs. Now Joe public confuses the climate agenda with Harry Roberts who lives off his dad and wants to cause a scene, but has no idea about what sustainability actually means and how to achieve a transitional economy. Brutally beat him up

Again, one for the Sci thread, but furious pace  as it may be, it isn't fast enough to prevent very nasty stuff right now and we both know it.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Protest in front of Parliament. Stand behind the news presenters like Stephen Bray has about Brexit for years. Stand at the end of Downing Street shouting. March through the centre of major cities. Get yourself on shows like Question Time to face minister directly. Publicly put pressure on car and energy firms to speed up the transition to move away from fossil fuels.

For all this guy knows, everyone watching that match tonight and in the crowd supports his causes wholeheartedly and they've ruined their evening. I think the difference with the suffragettes is that most people didn't agree with them and they had to force people to see their side. I think most people want things to improve but we do what we can individually, we recycle, we try to drive less, if we can afford it we buy electric cars etc. But we can't fund renewable energy or solar panel fields, we can't build wind farms we can produce car batteries or build the infrastructure to recharge these cars, that not on us, that's not on the audience at the Crucible or Robert Milkins or Joe Perry. It's on our governments. Sitting on a snooker table won't make them listen, making the publics life harder won't make them listen (the public won't turn on the government either they'll turn on the protester). The people who need to listen are the people who need targeting. Get down to Westminster, Downing Street, throw paint over the headquarters of Toyota or Ford etc. Knock yourselves our doing that stuff. A lot of the recent stuff seems totally irrelevant to the subject and has created a situation where the act of protest is the topic of discussion and not the actual thing they are protesting.

Pointing at someone else and saying it’s their job to sort it is precisely why someone is ruining your enjoyment of snooker. 

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Again, one for the Sci thread, but furious pace  as it may be, it isn't fast enough to prevent very nasty stuff right now and we both know it.

The huge and numerous mistakes of the past should not and will not hold back our future. Nasty stuff is happening, that's why resilience spending is vital now. And more nasty stuff can be limited, which if people engaged with all the good work going on, could aid and assist. But people are lazy and stupid and prefer cheering on pointless stunts like this to actual hard work.

Anyway like you said, good thread this, and glad play is back underway.

5 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I get that 😂

I hate clipped RP accents and trustafarians as much as the next dyed in the wool Jarvis Cocker, but it’s not about educating or getting people onside - and that’s the bit people are missing. 

Everyone has the information, no one needs education, choices have been made. This is the find out phase following the fvcking about. Amazingly, people don’t like it. 

I don’t buy the affordability. Town centres are full of people who could cycle but won’t cycle, who could have demanded more of their councillors and MPs but didn’t, who could close the bank accounts they hold with companies that feed billions to the petrochemical industry but don’t.

People naturally have inertia, they love a status quo. This status quo is killing the planet and yet they still prefer donkey racing with dead donkeys to actually physically doing something or any form of inconvenience. That’s privilege right there  - demanding their petty little lives are uninterrupted while forests burn and coral dies. 

I can’t see it, the solution isn’t easy, therefore all of you shut up. Just shut up. 

Fvck those people far more than Tarquinius and Jocasta imo. 

I get everything you’re saying and I pretty much agree with you. I think we have very similar viewpoints. I just….. Something doesn’t hit right. Nothing they are doing, in my opinion, helps the cause we all believe in. I get that protests are supposed to upset the status quo, but sometimes they could still be thought out a little better. Just being a nob isn’t enough. I don’t know what the answer is, I just don’t think it’s that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Good job it wasn't 20 years ago otherwise it could've been mistaken for a disgruntled spectator fed up of watching Peter Ebdon compile a break.

Me: “As if Peter Ebdon was 20 years ago lolz”

*Checks Google

Me: “Fvck he actually turned pro over 30 years ago kill me now”

The Forest Green owner just went on Talksport and said if we get a Labour government, there will be no need for Just Stop Oil - the Labour party headed by Sir Kier Starmer. **** me, if they actually believe that then they are more useless than I thought

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I get everything you’re saying and I pretty much agree with you. I think we have very similar viewpoints. I just….. Something doesn’t hit right. Nothing they are doing, in my opinion, helps the cause we all believe in. I get that protests are supposed to upset the status quo, but sometimes they could still be thought out a little better. Just being a nob isn’t enough. I don’t know what the answer is, I just don’t think it’s that. 

Absolutely, they're annoying as fvck. Everything they do and say is annoying as fvck.

I guess that's why I'm drawn to them. They remind me of me.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Pointing at someone else and saying it’s their job to sort it is precisely why someone is ruining your enjoyment of snooker. 

Is it though? Because as Rumble said most people can't afford to take the time out to protest these things, risk arrest etc, but it doesn't mean they don't wholeheartedly agree with the cause, and aren't doing everything in their power to help it. Like it or not, it is the government's that need to push this on and create the infrastructure for this new way of life we are all going to have to live, not me, not you, not the snooker player. I haven't had a foreign holiday in years (you've just been to Thailand haven't you, just a thought there :D) I drive a hybrid car, I live in a flat built with an energy friendly design, I walk or take the train if its practical for what I'm doing, I recycle everying I can, yet apparently that's not enough. I'm not pointing at someone else and saying it's their job, I'm saying me any many others are doing all we can, and we expect the government to do their part and if they aren't target them not us.

Anyway I don't want to join your long ignore list, and I don't want to derail the thread any more, we both want the same thing, I just think we have vastly different ideals on how it's best to achieve that, and I think Rumble has summed it up perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

...(you've just been to Thailand haven't you, just a thought there :D)...

But I'm not holding myself up as a person to be followed or presenting any solutions. I'm simply explaining that arguing for them to go back to all the old flawed forms of protest doesn't work.

Yes, I'm part of the problem - I own that.

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Is it though? Because as Rumble said most people can't afford to take the time out to protest these things, risk arrest etc, but it doesn't mean they don't wholeheartedly agree with the cause, and aren't doing everything in their power to help it. Like it or not, it is the government's that need to push this on and create the infrastructure for this new way of life we are all going to have to live, not me, not you, not the snooker player. I haven't had a foreign holiday in years (you've just been to Thailand haven't you, just a thought there :D) I drive a hybrid car, I live in a flat built with an energy friendly design, I walk or take the train if its practical for what I'm doing, I recycle everying I can, yet apparently that's not enough. I'm not pointing at someone else and saying it's their job, I'm saying me any many others are doing all we can, and we expect the government to do their part and if they aren't target them not us.

Anyway I don't want to join your long ignore list, and I don't want to derail the thread any more, we both want the same thing, I just think we have vastly different ideals on how it's best to achieve that, and I think Rumble has summed it up perfectly.

I have no idea who Rumble is and kudos to you for doing what you can and keep doing it, but it does not make any difference. System wide change is needed, and that is what is happening. I can guarantee you none of those protesting or blindly cheering them like performing monkey's have a clue what they are talking about, and are not engaging in the public consultations to reshape our economy. 

Also protests are meant to upset the status quo?? Come on maaaaaaan seriously... climate action IS the status quo!! Unless you've been hiding under a rock and ignoring all the legislative and public attitude change that has occurred. Yeh fine Alan in HR might not believe in it, who cares about him, let him die.

Barry hearn talking sense on the protest for once!!

31 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I have no idea who Rumble is and kudos to you for doing what you can and keep doing it, but it does not make any difference. System wide change is needed, and that is what is happening. I can guarantee you none of those protesting or blindly cheering them like performing monkey's have a clue what they are talking about, and are not engaging in the public consultations to reshape our economy. 

Also protests are meant to upset the status quo?? Come on maaaaaaan seriously... climate action IS the status quo!! Unless you've been hiding under a rock and ignoring all the legislative and public attitude change that has occurred. Yeh fine Alan in HR might not believe in it, who cares about him, let him die.

Barry hearn talking sense on the protest for once!!

Not sure why your disagreeing when I'm against the protest too lol

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Daggers said:

But I'm not holding myself up as a person to be followed or presenting any solutions. I'm simply explaining that arguing for them to go back to all the old flawed forms of protest doesn't work.

Yes, I'm part of the problem - I own that.

But as Rumble has pointed out, these ways are proven to be flawed too. 

Going back to the snooker, think it was mentioned in another thread about the BBCs poor coverage. I get why they can't use BBC 3 and 4 during the day before 7pm, but I've just put it on now and they are showing exactly what they showed on BBC2 this morning. I know its not live now, but at least show they stuff from the other table that wasn't shown earlier.

54 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Not sure why your disagreeing when I'm against the protest too lol

Ok sorry.............turns out I quoted the wrong post in the wrong thread!!!!!! My phone is bloody difficult with Foxes talk, does not show the username of the poster unless they've quoted me

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Absolutely, they're annoying as fvck. Everything they do and say is annoying as fvck.

I guess that's why I'm drawn to them. They remind me of me.

Just found out his name. Edred Whittingham. I rest my case haha. 

• Haha 2