Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2023

52 minutes ago, bovril said:

These guys have to be in the pay of big oil companies trying to discredit the movement, it's the only explanation. They can't be that stupid.

Aileen Getty is one of their biggest funders. Who's family wealth is built on oil. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

These guys have to be in the pay of big oil companies trying to discredit the movement, it's the only explanation. They can't be that stupid.

40 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Aileen Getty is one of their biggest funders. Who's family wealth is built on oil. 

Sadly, I think it's a mix of the two - the agent provocateurs in the pay of those looking to reinforce the status quo at the expense of the future, and those that really *are* so stupid that they think stuff like this will help.

18 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Protests are about winning hearts and minds and not disrupting things and basically being a nuisance. The tactics by these protesters are going to turn the majority of people against them.

The tricky thing is that people in the know have been saying which way things are going for decades now in a reasonable way, and still the amount of progress necessary to avoid some pretty nasty things happening in the future still hasn't been reached - or anywhere close.

So while idiot stunts like this aren't going to help, being calm and reasonable hasn't done enough fast enough either in terms of public and policymaking opinion.

So what's the best way to go? I wish I knew, and I say that as someone heavily invested in both the scientific subject matter and someone looking to illustrate it to as many people as possible in the reasonable way pointed out above.

Edited by leicsmac

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but surely they must be. Their antics make absolutely no sense otherwise.

9 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Which seems to be an entirely appropriate redistribution of wealth to me. It’s not like the family went out to build wealth from fossil fuels in order to use that wealth to campaign against the source of the wealth is it?

8 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Protests are about winning hearts and minds and not disrupting things and basically being a nuisance. The tactics by these protesters are going to turn the majority of people against them.

Nope. That’s the entire point of the shift in focus.

Protests in the past have been utterly pointless because nothing has changed, therefore the shift is to inconvenience rather than accommodation.

The suffragettes didn’t go about handing out leaflets and holding fund raising cake sales, in the end it took direct action and the willingness to commit no matter the cost. The scientific evidence is concrete, the lack of action from troglodyte mindsets is palpable. Honestly, if anyone isn’t convinced by the pressing need for change by now then they’re either incredibly stupid or amazingly selfish - and I find those kind of people a damn sight more annoying that a lad climbing onto the baize and delaying a game of stick ball.

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Which seems to be an entirely appropriate redistribution of wealth to me. It’s not like the family went out to build wealth from fossil fuels in order to use that wealth to campaign against the source of the wealth is it?

Protests in the past have been utterly pointless because nothing has changed, therefore the shift is to inconvenience rather than accommodation.

The suffragettes didn’t go about handing out leaflets and holding fund raising cake sales, in the end it took direct action and the willingness to commit no matter the cost. The scientific evidence is concrete, the lack of action from troglodyte mindsets is palpable. Honestly, if anyone isn’t convinced by the pressing need for change by now then they’re either incredibly stupid or amazingly selfish - and I find those kind of people a damn sight more annoying that a lad climbing onto the baize and delaying a game of stick ball.

Protest in front of Parliament. Stand behind the news presenters like Stephen Bray has about Brexit for years. Stand at the end of Downing Street shouting. March through the centre of major cities. Get yourself on shows like Question Time to face minister directly. Publicly put pressure on car and energy firms to speed up the transition to move away from fossil fuels.

For all this guy knows, everyone watching that match tonight and in the crowd supports his causes wholeheartedly and they've ruined their evening. I think the difference with the suffragettes is that most people didn't agree with them and they had to force people to see their side. I think most people want things to improve but we do what we can individually, we recycle, we try to drive less, if we can afford it we buy electric cars etc. But we can't fund renewable energy or solar panel fields, we can't build wind farms we can produce car batteries or build the infrastructure to recharge these cars, that not on us, that's not on the audience at the Crucible or Robert Milkins or Joe Perry. It's on our governments. Sitting on a snooker table won't make them listen, making the publics life harder won't make them listen (the public won't turn on the government either they'll turn on the protester). The people who need to listen are the people who need targeting. Get down to Westminster, Downing Street, throw paint over the headquarters of Toyota or Ford etc. Knock yourselves our doing that stuff. A lot of the recent stuff seems totally irrelevant to the subject and has created a situation where the act of protest is the topic of discussion and not the actual thing they are protesting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

I agree with you in principle. And I agree with the protest. I just, and this may be my issue, I just can’t stand middle class folk. Being able to do these protests in the first place is a massive privilege. I couldn’t afford to take time off work. I couldn’t afford tickets to the snooker just to protest. I certainly couldn’t afford the risk of arrest. It would destroy my entire life. Generally speaking these people are highly privileged and can risk these things because they don’t NEED to work. I lived with a guy who was big into the occupy movement at the time. Spent weeks sat in a nice green square in Edinburgh lecturing people. People that just wanted to get to work. Months later he said he’d been to watch the rugby at Murryfield. I said that must have cost a bit? His reply? “Oh my parents got free tickets from the bank”. Cos yeah, normal people get given free rugby tickets. Again, I agreed with a lot of what he said but his methods didn’t help him and the fact he had ZERO self awareness made me just switch off. I just wish all these folk had a little more self awareness and came across as a little less condescending. As someone else said, they hardly make people WANT to be on their side. 

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong. I just think most folk that protest don’t realise what a privilege it is. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3