Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Football grammar

Noticed quite a lot of this online and obviously on TV. Non-standard use of the present simple ("Our goal difference keeps us up"), overuse of perfect tenses ("He's hit it beautifully") and lack of adverbs, although that last one seems to be dying out a bit. Anything else? 

I'm not embarrassed to say I've no idea what this is about even after researching it on google and am too old to care.

Football has always had it's own spoken language and this is just a transfer of it to the written form.

My apologies if there are any grammatical errors in my reply.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm not embarrassed to say I've no idea what this is about even after researching it on google and am too old to care.

Football has always had it's own spoken language and this is just a transfer of it to the written form.

My apologies if there are any grammatical errors in my reply.

Looks ok to me, apart from the "it's" in the second sentence.

It wasn't a critical post by the way. I just find it interesting how, as you said, football has its own lexis and common grammatical forms. Probably been a paper written on it somewhere....

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

Looks ok to me, apart from the "it's" in the second sentence.

It wasn't a critical post by the way. I just find it interesting how, as you said, football has its own lexis and common grammatical forms. Probably been a paper written on it somewhere....

It's - Yeah more of a slip up I do know that one ;)

I appreciate you weren't being critical and my response was intended to be self deprecating and hopefully slightly amusing

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Noticed quite a lot of this online and obviously on TV. Non-standard use of the present simple ("Our goal difference keeps us up"), overuse of perfect tenses ("He's hit it beautifully") and lack of adverbs, although that last one seems to be dying out a bit. Anything else? 

The one that bugs me is the failure to use subjunctive - when someone misses, the commentator might say "he hits that right, and it's a goal" which especially for people who rely on subtitles, can be totally misleading.  Is "if he had hit it right, it would have been a goal" so very difficult for a commentator to grasp?

• Like 3

It'd basically poor use of English borne out of ignorance and societal backgrounds and it's mostly ex-players that become pundits that are guilty of it.

IMO, most professional commentators are not guilty.

Probably not exactly what you're getting at but

"Top, top player"

"Three goalkeepers wouldn't have saved it" (yes they ****ing could)

"Football matches" Clinton Morrison reassures me on Soccer Saturday in case I mistake him for talking about the snooker

"You get punished for sloppy defending like that in the Premier League" Andy Hinchcliffe insisting that Championship player would have paid for that mistake in the PL where nobody has once ever missed a sitter

"There" Gary Neville pinpoints the exact moment a players foot makes contact with an opposition players leg which the international space station would have picked up

Edited by Stinky

I would mention Charlie Nicholas who is a famous example of a football type who mangles grammar at the best of times.

He has on occasion managed to mix the present perfect simple and the preterite tenses.

e.g. He's came to the byline and then the defender has went and fouled him. The referee has then spoke to the captain. Quite rightly, as those tackles have broke legs in the past...

I have heard a few people in the West of Scitland mix it up like this, so it's maybe not the football specific example @bovril was looking for, but it's the same ballpark.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stinky said:

"Football matches" Clinton Morrison reassures me on Soccer Saturday in case I mistake him for talking about the snooker

They do this a lot in American English and I've noticed it creeping in here in recent years. "It's a great football club".

On 03/05/2023 at 11:44, Spudulike said:

He's a great goalscorer but not as good as your Shearer's, your Kane's or your Henry's. Not sure how many of each type there are. 

Yeah. Just drop the word "your" It isn't needed.

They're trying to liken players to others but they don't know who. So they take well know and legendary players and make them the example to support their view.