Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

3 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

You lost 3-1.  I can accept that Leeds were lucky but we weren't a 3 goal swing lucky.

All the stats for the game were pretty even apart from possession, which was well in Leeds favour.  That suggests a draw was fairer.

You think you'd have still come back from 2-0 rather than 1-0? I really don't think your final 10 mins was an inevitability. 

I think psychologically being 2-0 up for us would have had us feeling in command and I think the reason you were able to have the final 10 mins you did, is because being only 1-0 down still gave you hope. 

Who's to say at 2-0 down you didn't overcommit and us hit you on the break again for 3-0? 

6 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

You lost 3-1.  I can accept that Leeds were lucky but we weren't a 3 goal swing lucky.

All the stats for the game were pretty even apart from possession, which was well in Leeds favour.  That suggests a draw was fairer.

I was talking about a points swing and now you're talking about a goals swing...?

4 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

You think you'd have still come back from 2-0 rather than 1-0? I really don't think your final 10 mins was an inevitability. 

I think psychologically being 2-0 up for us would have had us feeling in command and I think the reason you were able to have the final 10 mins you did, is because being only 1-0 down still gave you hope. 

Who's to say at 2-0 down you didn't overcommit and us hit you on the break again for 3-0? 

We came back from 2-0, away from home and with less time left already this season.  Not only to draw but to win.  It's a very mentally strong group of players.

So nah, impossible to make such an assumption with so much time left in the game.

2 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

We came back from 2-0, away from home and with less time left already this season.  Not only to draw but to win.  It's a very mentally strong group of players.

So nah, impossible to make such an assumption with so much time left in the game.

Equally impossible to claim that just because you did score 3 on the day that you were always going to regardless of how the game played out. 

With the same logic, we could have only won had we scored 4, which is clearly nonsense.

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Equally impossible to claim that just because you did score 3 on the day that you were always going to regardless of how the game played out. 

With the same logic, we could have only won had we scored 4, which is clearly nonsense.

I'm not.

I'm showing you how it is impossible to make the assumption you have made and showed how and why it can easily be wrong.  I'm pretty sure every Norwich fan would have said that 2-0 at home with 20 mins left means there is no way Leeds can win now.  See my point?

I haven't made the assumption.  I've just demonstrated how you can't do that.

2 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I'm not.

I'm showing you how it is impossible to make the assumption you have made and showed how and why it can easily be wrong.  I'm pretty sure every Norwich fan would have said that 2-0 at home with 20 mins left means there is no way Leeds can win now.  See my point?

I haven't made the assumption.  I've just demonstrated how you can't do that.

Sure, but you're also claiming going 2-0 down at a crucial moment in the 2nd half makes zero difference. Which is a bold claim is all. 

Either way whatever will be will be. 

7 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Sure, but you're also claiming going 2-0 down at a crucial moment in the 2nd half makes zero difference. Which is a bold claim is all. 

Either way whatever will be will be. 

I haven't done that either.  Just that it does not assure victory and never has done.  least of al away from home.

3 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I haven't done that either.  Just that it does not assure victory and never has done.  least of al away from home.

I thought you did when effectively said 'doesn't matter we would have won anyway' but whatever. 

27 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

This is a fair point even though I do agree with my fellow Leicester supporting Jon than there’s a high chance we do see the game out at 2-0 but yeah you can rule anything out.

But by the same token, I’ve seen Leeds fans saying the disallowed goal made no difference as you ‘would’ have won 3-2 anyway which is quite ridiculous in itself as that’s not how it works!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Last season there was loads of examples of being 2 goals down and getting nothing back, Arsenal away, Chelsea away (they had 10 men for about 70 minutes inlcuding injury time), 3 down away at Newcastle, 2 down away at Forest, 3 down at Man City at home, 3 down at Man City away, 4 goals down away at Fulham, 3 down at home to Liverpool.

Newcastle away in the cup, 2 down. Even Blackburn at home in the cup we were 2 down and never even got a replay/ET.

There literally wasn't 1 game last season where we were 2 goals down at any point and managed to get something out of the game, unless I've missed one somewhere.

We also gave away a 2 goal leads at Brentford opening day of the season.

The season before was similar, lost a 2 goal lead away at Palace, lost a 2 goal lead at home to Napoli, went 2 down at Napoli away, got it to 2-2 then lost 3-2.

Did manage to get a win against Moscow as Stan says after being 2-0 down, we scored to make it 2-1 just a few seconds after they scored.

We just seem to be soft, there hasn't been fight in this team for 3/4 years now. As soon as we go 2 down the game is done, as soon as we concede a late goal, you know we'll concede another if we're still in the match, or heads will start going and cards will start coming, either reds or yellows resulting in bans.

Vardy, Albrighton or Coady, we need one of them on the pitch at any given time IMO. These 3 are the leaders and the experienced heads you need in these situations.

Yeah fair. I didn't look into all that detail but I never have faith with us against bigger opposition (in PL anyway). Psychologically we seem fvcked if we've not taken the lead, and it's even been seen at times this season when we stupidly rest on a 1-goal lead. 

We're not clinical enough at times which kills us. And that probably doesn't help the mentality or the confidence of holding on to a lead. 

You'd like to think it's something Maresca will be looking at at least between now and end of the season to finish the job off, individually in games and the bigger picture of promotion. 

We have propper fooked it up lets face it. Anyone who pretends otherwise is clearly an ostrich. It looks like  3rd or 4th no barring a major collapse in form from a few of the teams around us.

I would be genuinely surprised if we win a game this month, even more surprised if we win the 5-6 games we need to. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

This is a fair point even though I do agree with my fellow Leicester supporting Jon than there’s a high chance we do see the game out at 2-0 but yeah you can rule anything out.

But by the same token, I’ve seen Leeds fans saying the disallowed goal made no difference as you ‘would’ have won 3-2 anyway which is quite ridiculous in itself as that’s not how it works!

Agreed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We have propper fooked it up lets face it. Anyone who pretends otherwise is clearly an ostrich. It looks like  3rd or 4th no barring a major collapse in form from a few of the teams around us.

I would be genuinely surprised if we win a game this month, even more surprised if we win the 5-6 games we need to. 

It's all really in the balance. We've had opportunities to pull away and haven't. But that aside it's largely been a 4 horse race for the top 2. If we'd spent all season oscillating between 1-3 spots but were in our current position, psychologically it'd feel different, but the current outcome is the same. 

We need to not have the wheels completely fall off between now and the March international break. And we'll need to do as well as if not slightly better than some of the others in the final 8 games or so. 

It's possible that we can struggle between now and then and still get the points we need in the final stretch, but that would obviously be the hardest/highest pressure way of doing so and I'm not sure we've got the stomach for it. 

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

Mentally strong group of players ruffled by Huddersfield

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Mentally strong group of players ruffled by Huddersfield

A game we were a few licks of paint away from winning.

They didn't "ruffle" us. They set out to physically harm players and the officials were not strong enough to deal with it.  We had 80% of the ball so not sure how "ruffled" we were.  You can't win every game, no team can.

1 minute ago, Pub breath said:

A game we were a few licks of paint away from winning.

They didn't "ruffle" us. They set out to physically harm players and the officials were not strong enough to deal with it.  We had 80% of the ball so not sure how "ruffled" we were.  You can't win every game, no team can.

Ah you mean the shots off target? The officials weren't strong enough? He couldn't wait to book them, whilst he seemingly let you get away with a fair bit.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Ah you mean the shots off target? The officials weren't strong enough? He couldn't wait to book them, whilst he seemingly let you get away with a fair bit.

Seems an incredibly odd take on the game.  It's a very long time since i've seen so many studs on skin and players being taken out without being anywhere near the ball.  Those booking you're talking about should have been many more and some reds.  It was outright brutality.

Still don't see how an away draw in a derby which extends an unbeaten run to ten, is evidence of mentally weak players.  Sure it makes sense in your head though.

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

We haven't 'fooked' it. We are in the process of 'fooking it'. We can 'unfook' it by getting some form back and putting the 3 games behind us, and other teams might go through their own wobbles and start thinking they have 'fooked' it as well.

Only our fans could be in a position where we are 5 points and a big goal difference ahead of 3rd and think we have 'fooked' it. Any other clubs fanbase would try to pull their team over the line.

I agree. The worry is that we're having our bad run at the (almost) worst possible moment. Which gives the other teams hope. Also it increasingly looks like Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton are better at getting results when not at their best/finding late winners/equalisers. 

We've gotten worse in the final 15 mins. Then you add the injuries which make our midfield options pretty threadbare and it's not looking great. 

But you're right, the wheels haven't fallen completely off yet. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I need to properly look into this. We hardly ever do comebacks. I genuinely cannot remember the last time we got anything out of a game we were two down in.

I never feel like we're going to get back into a game at 2 down, mad to say that considering we're top. We scored Saturday, had another 5 min spell after, then it all completely died again.