Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

4 hours ago, phildw said:

You seem to have handily ignored the deflections that Ipswich have regularly had throughout the season including against us and even the opening goal against Plymouth yesterday. Deflections that result in a goal are definitely luck and they have had a tremendous amount of luck in that regard compared to us and virtually everybody else in the league. There luck will run out. 

I don't like when deflections are called lucky for example the deflection Ipswich scored against us was due to Vestegaard not facing the ball square on and shying away from the ball, Faes did the same for one of Leeds goals. Its bad defensive positioning usually from a defensive point of view, but from an attacking point of view you have to shoot to create the deflection, if we haven't scored more deflections it's due to the opposition actually defending with some balls and not being scared of the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, Beachyboy said:

I don't like when deflections are called lucky for example the deflection Ipswich scored against us was due to Vestegaard not facing the ball square on and shying away from the ball, Faes did the same for one of Leeds goals. Its bad defensive positioning usually from a defensive point of view, but from an attacking point of view you have to shoot to create the deflection, if we haven't scored more deflections it's due to the opposition actually defending with some balls and not being scared of the ball.

As the ball deflected off choudhury and reared up, I'm not sure what faes could have done about it.... pure look. The shot wasn't even on target!

2 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

As the ball deflected off choudhury and reared up, I'm not sure what faes could have done about it.... pure look. The shot wasn't even on target!

Face the ball and clear it out his body shape is all wrong, he's on the half turn shying away from the ball

Edited by Beachyboy

14 minutes ago, phildw said:

Have a word with yourself! We're not top of the league by chance, we are the best team in the league up to this point in time. There's 11 to go and bar one disappointing performance against QPR yesterday we have been outstanding. We outplayed both Leeds and Middlesbrough and were by far the better team in both games. Ipswich had a blip and have bounced back and we are already in a far better position than they are with 11 to go. Tell me any team in the league who wouldn't rather be in our current position - none. Just get behind the team for the run in rather than slagging them off to a rival who has randomly checked into a LCFC forum.  

Disagree with this. Whilst there are the normal overreactions, we are certainly not in a ‘far’ better position than either Leeds or Ipswich now, even Southampton is debatably if you’re saying far better. 

As for who would rather be in our position, I would sooner be in Ipswich or Leeds position now. I wouldn’t have said that until this weekend but 3 points to Ipswich is nothing now. It’s one game. Form, momentum, confidence and sheer will to win mean far more at this stage of a season. 

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

Leeds 10/3 to win the league. 

Ipswich 6/1 to win it. 

Worth a punt on both. 

These are both great value imo. I think it's going to be very close between the three sides.

3 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Disagree with this. Whilst there are the normal overreactions, we are certainly not in a ‘far’ better position than either Leeds or Ipswich now, even Southampton is debatably if you’re saying far better. 

As for who would rather be in our position, I would sooner be in Ipswich or Leeds position now. I wouldn’t have said that until this weekend but 3 points to Ipswich is nothing now. It’s one game. Form, momentum, confidence and sheer will to win mean far more at this stage of a season. 

Heard it all now! A 'Fan" saying they would rather their team not be top of the league.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phildw said:

Heard it all now! A 'Fan" saying they would rather their team not be top of the league.  

'I would rather be 5 points behind Leeds, than 5 points ahead, with 11 games to go' is an amazing take. This is Leeds who had about 30mins to find a winner against 10 men, and didn't....

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I was speaking for myself and the comment you picked up on. I was in the heat of the moment. I was not speaking for others. And I’m not in the heat of the moment now, you’re just being extremely argumentative.

On the points in the bag thing, did you even bother reading what I said? I said means nothing now it’s so close. The momentum you have vs is is worth a hell of a lot more than 3 points we are still ahead. Make sense?

Apologies, I misunderstood when you said "People make comments in the heat of the moment", taking it rather too literally!

Yes I read what you said and it makes sense in terms of a sentence. But I don't know how you work out our momentum is worth "a hell of a lot more than 3 points." 

We shall see.

I'd much rather Leicester went up than Leeds.

58 minutes ago, Raj said:

No one is comparing Enzo to Brendan.

If you cant see the issues through your blue tinted glasses then so be it👍🏾

i can see the issues, i see some are on here; yeah but your saying we arent creating chances....but if a chance isnt scored or saved is it still a chance?

its just not as bad as some are making out imo, honestly dread to think what some of our "fanbase" will be like if we get back in the premier league if they throw a wobbler losing 3 games in a row in the championship

25 minutes ago, phildw said:

Such a simplistic viewpoint. You don’t think momentum plays a part in football then obviously? You don’t think it’s better to be on a run of 4/5 straight wins than 3 straight defeats? You’re the kind of fan who will be saying everything is fine this week then kicking off next week if Ipswich are ahead of us because you’re only looking at the table not any other factors involved.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dollers said:

Apologies, I misunderstood when you said "People make comments in the heat of the moment", taking it rather too literally!

Yes I read what you said and it makes sense in terms of a sentence. But I don't know how you work out our momentum is worth "a hell of a lot more than 3 points." 

We shall see.

I'd much rather Leicester went up than Leeds.

Look I didn’t mean to get into a whole back and forward with you. I also wish Ipswich well and didn’t mean anything by my comment. You are where you are on hard work, persistence and yes, quality.

I simply don’t think we are in a better position purely because we are top by 3 points now. You or Leeds might lose your next two whilst we win ours. It’s football and anything can happen. But at the moment, 3 points looks nothing with the form and fixtures for the sides. I hope I’m wrong and we are the two sides who go up 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We may draw one. I don't see us winning any of the next 3. Much better sides than boro or qpr. 

We are better than Huddersfield yet Leeds beat us and drew to them, the points achieved from each game isn't always the best/worst teams that get the results.

7 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

We are better than Huddersfield yet Leeds beat us and drew to them, the points achieved from each game isn't always the best/worst teams that get the results.

the championship is so unpredictable, look at Bristol City, beat Southampton but lost to Cardiff

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phildw said:

We are top of the league by 3pts from 2nd with a huge goal difference and 5pts ahead of 3rd with 11 games to go. That's a hell of a turnaround for any team to overcome, even the mighty Leeds who have just dropped 2 points at relegation threatened Huddersfield who had 10 men forv 50+ minutes. 

You're obviously a doom and gloom fan and I'm very optimistic that class is permanent, and we have shown that for virtually every game this season (even when we have narrowly - or unluckily- lost) so I'm very confident that this team will continue to show the class and quality that has took them to the top for the majority of the season and raising that Championship trophy 🏆 at the very end.

Enjoy the rest of the season it's going to be fun. 

I hope you are right. I disagree still we are in a far better position than our rivals but I take your points.

And I’m certainly not a doom and gloom fan. There are plenty on here and not myself I assure you! Realistic yeah, scarred from recent years, definitely. Have my moments after particularly bad defeats sometimes..yeah like many of us. But generally I try to stay positive, just not to the extent you obviously do!

Remove the specific teams from the example though and emotion towards Leicester and think about what I have said. I’m basically suggesting that being in second but only say 3 points behind the leader but in much better form and closing the gap by the week is not as clear cut as being at the top automatically being better. The goal is to be top after 46 games not 36 after all!

But yes, if you are confident that class will show through that’s fair enough. There’s many posters that are generally quite balanced and not of the negative side who are quite concerned right now though.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Tbf Bristol City have lost to pretty much everyone but Southampton in 2024...

and Millwall beat them too, league is wildly unpredictable at times; dont think some of our fans realise that and expect us to steam roll everyone

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

and Millwall beat them too, league is wildly unpredictable at times; dont think some of our fans realise that and expect us to steam roll everyone

Best squad, training facilities, tattoos and haircuts in the league mate.

8 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I'm not having this luck bullshit. Other team are 'lucky' because they attack with intent and never roll over,  they create it. Meanwhile at the KP Leicester whilst 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go are tarting around with it between the keeper and centre backs. You are never going to get a lucky goal that way. 

Luck is a genuine aspect in football. It really bothers me to hear people say you make your own luck, because it’s complete bull.

What isn’t ‘luck’ is us consistently missing easy chances. So i don’t take that as ‘luck’ that’s just our players having a lack of composure. In certain games we let ourselves down but in some, luck was largely at play. Both leeds and coventry were bad luck moments, because overall bad decisions by a ref cost us and on other days that wouldn’t have happened. 

QPR we were blunt and they took their chances, nothing to do with luck. That’s just football. 

But there’s no way, you can look at ipswich and not agree luck has gone their way. They have scored the most outrageously lucky goals i’ve ever seen, they’ve had very luckyref calls go their way ( the non plymouth pen is up there with the worst i’ve seen from officials) They’ve avoided goals by chances hitting the post where inches would have knocked off points on an incredible amount of occasions. If ipswich had worse luck, they’d probably be 12 points behind.  But, it is, what it is and that’s football. 

As for us, I can only remember one post saves the day moment, which was actually justin tonking his own. Overall we’ve been way more dominant in games than ipswich and i think that will show by the end of the season. Certainly still more worried by southampton than them 

Edited by Lambert09

10 hours ago, phildw said:

We are top of the league by 3pts from 2nd with a huge goal difference and 5pts ahead of 3rd with 11 games to go. That's a hell of a turnaround for any team to overcome, even the mighty Leeds who have just dropped 2 points at relegation threatened Huddersfield who had 10 men forv 50+ minutes. 

You're obviously a doom and gloom fan and I'm very optimistic that class is permanent, and we have shown that for virtually every game this season (even when we have narrowly - or unluckily- lost) so I'm very confident that this team will continue to show the class and quality that has took them to the top for the majority of the season and raising that Championship trophy 🏆 at the very end.

Enjoy the rest of the season it's going to be fun. 

I think the last 2 weeks has shown 5 points is not that big of a gap.  Also momentum is really important in football, I personally think we no longer the favourites.  Not saying we going to lose every game, and struggle to get past 80 points, just I dont think we the favourites, I repeated that bit as I suspect you would misinterpret otherwise.  I also dont know how you come to the conclusion we have had only one bad game and shown class for virtually every game.  I cant help but feel club emotions have clouded your judgement of our performances.

Let me explain my point of view.

I think at least 10 of our wins were unconvincing where we managed to get the win, but didnt look like a team that had a dominant performance.  We have had spells where we played well and I was happy with what I was watching, but these never became persistent.  What is even more concerning though is the momentum (what you have shrugged off), at the start of the season we were pretty solid defensively, went through a number of games where we didnt concede a single goal after the 70 minute mark, now we look like we have a soft belly and weak mentality.  We also have much less of an attacking threat without Ndidi, who still doesnt have a confirmed return date.

I think this can go either way, its basically a crap shoot at this point, but I think saying we have dominated virtually every game, are a class above, and have nothing to worry about is as bonkers as saying we will lose every game for the rest of the season.  The reality is somewhere in between.

My latest prediction table, the one based on seasonal PPG and last 6 PPG combined, has us now third behind Leeds and Ipswich.  Our last 12 isnt great either (1/4 a season worth of form).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

When was the last time we came from 2 goals down to get a point? 

Yet I can think of a couple of occasions where we’ve given away a 2 goal lead in the past 2/3 of seasons. 

We are so predictable, as soon as Leeds scored their first goal you knew we were gonna lose. 

It’s half the reason the stadium empties at 2-0 down at home games, everyone knows it’s already game over, pointless staying for the remaining 40 minutes. 

QPR and M’Boro have both been exactly like this, and it’ll be the same the next time we go 2-0 down at home, we’ll pull 1 back and that’s it. 

I need to properly look into this. We hardly ever do comebacks. I genuinely cannot remember the last time we got anything out of a game we were two down in.

• Like 1