Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

We haven't 'fooked' it. We are in the process of 'fooking it'. We can 'unfook' it by getting some form back and putting the 3 games behind us, and other teams might go through their own wobbles and start thinking they have 'fooked' it as well.

Only our fans could be in a position where we are 5 points and a big goal difference ahead of 3rd and think we have 'fooked' it. Any other clubs fanbase would try to pull their team over the line.

Goal difference wouldn't really mean anything if we continue to drop points or don't get the necessary points more than other sides... 

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Goal difference wouldn't really mean anything if we continue to drop points or don't get the necessary points more than other sides... 

Well, of course! But my point is it's still all to play for.

Someone made a good point on the Sunderland thread, in theory we only have 2 league games (Sunderland and Hull) between now and 29th March. This has come at a good time to allow Ndidi and Ricardo to recover for the last 9 games. Downside is we could easily be 3rd/4th by the time we play Bristol City but with a game in hand and a fresh squad.

Edited by Fox 4 Life
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Weren't we comforting ourselves jn the top 4 bottle seasons with goal difference? It hardly ever matters.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Still pretty confident, all teams have a bump, Leeds, and Southampton had theirs at the start, Ipswich after Christmas, this is our.

8 wins is all we need in my opinion.

Agree. But 8 wins out of 11 feels a tough ask when accounting for our recent form, injuries and it feels like teams have figured us out a bit. 

Southampton FC: Club posts pre-tax and pre-interest loss of £70.5m for 2022-23 season - BBC Sport

Southampton suffered a loss of £70.5m in 2022-23, the season they were relegated from the Premier League.

The accounts to June 2023, show Saints spent almost £106m on players that year and only made £13m through sales.

But the figures do not include multi-million pound fees for the likes of Romeo Lavia, Tino Livramento and James Ward-Prowse who all left after 30 June.

The numbers - from St Mary's Football Group - show a wage bill of £107m which is a rise of 8%.

18 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Agree. But 8 wins out of 11 feels a tough ask when accounting for our recent form, injuries and it feels like teams have figured us out a bit. 

We were dreadful against QPR, but could have easily got something from both Middlesbrough and Leeds.

Ndidi fit works make a massive difference.

23 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I think we beat Sunderland and Draw to Hull. Neither will park the bus, which gives us a different game. Then we can reset over the international break and win 5 in a row. Hopefully by then we will only need one more win to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Someone made a good point on the Sunderland thread, in theory we only have 2 league games (Sunderland and Hull) between now and 29th March. This has come at a good time to allow Ndidi and Ricardo to recover for the last 9 games. Downside is we could easily be 3rd/4th by the time we play Bristol City but with a game in hand and a fresh squad.

Riccy yes, ndidi he been out so long it's hard to imagine he'll be totally match fit and ready to give his all immediately. 

Plus playing catch-up with 9 to go is a dire situation to be in. Was reading somewhere no team has lost 3 in a row in the second half the season and gone on to win the division in decades, not sure if just second tier or any. Apparently the last team to do it was Leicester in the 50s.... 

Edited by squidsworth
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We were dreadful against QPR, but could have easily got something from both Middlesbrough and Leeds.

Ndidi fit works make a massive difference.

personally i wouldnt call us dreadful dreadful like we was in parts of last season, the higher end of dreadful bordering on meh

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Problem is i think the players and the manager are drinking the "unlucky" kool aid too.

Sadly you are right, the team and manager thinking they just need to keep doing what they doing is not what we need.

• Like 2

Fook sake, we’re not playing Barcelona and Real Madrid in our next two! We’ve had one really bad game and all of a sudden we’ve completely fooked it, we’ve blown promotion, we’re going into administration and heading back to League One, and some of you seriously question the mentality of the players…

The reality is all 4 teams have had poor runs of form, all 4 teams will win a lot of games and all 4 teams will lose games between now and the end of the season.

If all results go as they did in the first game, we win the league by a long way. Yes we’ve lost 3 on the spin, but 2/3 we’ve actually played pretty well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

Southampton FC: Club posts pre-tax and pre-interest loss of £70.5m for 2022-23 season - BBC Sport

Southampton suffered a loss of £70.5m in 2022-23, the season they were relegated from the Premier League.

The accounts to June 2023, show Saints spent almost £106m on players that year and only made £13m through sales.

But the figures do not include multi-million pound fees for the likes of Romeo Lavia, Tino Livramento and James Ward-Prowse who all left after 30 June.

The numbers - from St Mary's Football Group - show a wage bill of £107m which is a rise of 8%.

They brought in 165m net this season 

2 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

bare in mind some of the money brought in, at least 30/50% of some sales went to previous clubs, like Lavia...Man City etc

20 percent Lavia

30 livaremto according to athletic

even at 50 percent of both its 115m net don’t think it’s them that have to worry, Leeds spending and net profit on the other hand is worse than ours  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Surely there must be more recent examples of this but genuinely the last times off the top of my head I can remember were that run of games early in the title winning season, September/October 2015 time, when we came from 2-0 down to beat Villa 3-2 but then I think it was twice away at Stoke and Southampton where we were 2-0 down and rescued 2-2 draws. We were hailed at comeback kings at the time! 

I've been doing a bit of digging on this and the findings are genuinely quite remarkable. We haven't come back from 2 goals down to get anything out of a league game since Stoke in December 2016. Over seven years since we have been two down in a league game and not lost!!!

In that time we did come back from 2-0 down at Wolves in January 2019 but went on to lose the game 4-3.

In other competitions, the last was Spartak Moscow where we were 2-0 down and won 3-4. Then you have Sevilla where we were 2-0 down in the first leg but ended up winning 3-2 on aggregate.

We are genuinely terrible at comebacks. I daren't count how many times we've blown two goal leads in the same period. That's a genuinely quite interesting finding to me - there is surely no other club in the 92 at least on a run that long.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jonny_wright said:

13 points lost in the last 15mins of games, this can’t continue 

5903d2b8-7c06-48fc-b169-f1de36aaf738.jpeg

What's most worrying about that is that in the first 15 games we didn't concede a single goal after the 75th minute, so that 13 points dropped and subsequently the only team in the top seven to have a negative difference has all come in the last 20 games. It is hard to not conclude that we have been sussed out somewhat. That whole mantra of wearing teams down has proven to not really been the case.

I do have to add though - you can tell we're quite scarred. There are twists and turns yet. History does not favour us, but it's unfair to completely write us out of this, even if I can understand why it's in a lot of our instincts.

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've been doing a bit of digging on this and the findings are genuinely quite remarkable. We haven't come back from 2 goals down to get anything out of a league game since Stoke in December 2016. Over seven years since we have been two down in a league game and not lost!!!

In that time we did come back from 2-0 down at Wolves in January 2019 but went on to lose the game 4-3.

In other competitions, the last was Spartak Moscow where we were 2-0 down and won 3-4. Then you have Sevilla where we were 2-0 down in the first leg but ended up winning 3-2 on aggregate.

We are genuinely terrible at comebacks. I daren't count how many times we've blown two goal leads in the same period. That's a genuinely quite interesting finding to me - there is surely no other club in the 92 at least on a run that long.

Wow, thank you for the research and quite shocking. I was sure I must have missed something, a result under Rodgers or even Puel. When I pointed to the results in 2015/16 it was purely the last ones I could remember not that I thought it was nearly that long ago. Shocking stats!

Even the Sevilla one, in the context of the two legged tie yes. But in isolation, it’s a game we were 2-0 down in and pulled one back but still lost (sound familiar?) and a separate game we won 2-0!

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

What's most worrying about that is that in the first 15 games we didn't concede a single goal after the 75th minute, so that 13 points dropped and subsequently the only team in the top seven to have a negative difference has all come in the last 20 games. It is hard to not conclude that we have been sussed out somewhat. That whole mantra of wearing teams down has proven to not really been the case.

I always thought the making them work hard by keeping the ball was bs tbh. I get it if the team is pressing you and you’re passing around them but a lot of teams sitting back will barely get into a sweat.

• Like 1