Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

10 hours ago, foxestalkisfullofidiots said:

What an absolute freak year, a real chance  top 3 teams could finish on 100+ points 

Burnley finished on 101 points last season. It shows points in the Championship means nothing in the EPL.

• Like 2

On 17/03/2024 at 17:56, Lionator said:

This is good cope but ultimately it doesn’t matter if any other season would see us miles ahead. Because this season is essentially do or die for the future of the club. If we don’t go up, we will be Stoke, Derby, Sunderland etc for the next five seasons and beyond. 

I love (hate?) how so many people on here can predict the future!

It wasn't so long ago that this place was full of people predicting we'd be relegated this season.

If we don't go up, there's no reason why we can't go up next year - it will certainly not be as strong a league as this season, and even if we have to sell our best players, we genuinely have a good crop of academy players to rebuild around.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 18:06, Matt said:

Bang goes our taking the piss out of Tottenham chant ('Who came 3rd in a 2 horse race?')

'Who came 2nd in a 1 horse race?' or maybe even the unimaginable 'Who came 3rd in a 1 horse race?'

I'm joking of course....I just hope I can joke come the end of the season.

Oddly, after 80% of the 15/16 season we were on 63, spurs were on 58 and arsenal were on 55.  So, it was never even a  two horse race, certainly not at this stage.

For all those people saying we've bottled it or we're rubbish because we had a 17 point lead over leeds, it's worth noting that that 17 point gap appeared after GW26

LCFC W21 D2 L3 P65    ppg 2.5

LUFC W14 D6 L6 P48    ppg 1.8

since then

LCFC W5 D2 L4 P17     ppg 1.5

LUFC W11 D1 L0 P34   ppg  2.8

So, yes our form has dipped (but still to a standard that was good enough for 6th place last year), but leeds' form has been off the scale, out-performing what we had achieved up to that point where we had the 17 point lead.

We have to keep perspective that this isn't about us bottling it, this is about leeds playing better than anyone has ever played at this level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

For all those people saying we've bottled it or we're rubbish because we had a 17 point lead over leeds, it's worth noting that that 17 point gap appeared after GW26

since then

So, yes our form has dipped (but still to a standard that was good enough for 6th place last year), but leeds' form has been off the scale, out-performing what we had achieved up to that point where we had the 17 point lead.

We have to keep perspective that this isn't about us bottling it, this is about leeds playing better than anyone has ever played at this level.

🫠🫠🫠

On 17/03/2024 at 18:13, peterborofox said:

Hopefully serves as a big kick up the arse for our players

Leeds have Cov, Hull and Soton still to play, they won't be easy. 

Problem is I really worry about our home games Vs Soton, Norwich and Wba. At home seems to be a massive concern for us form wise arguably more than away does.

You have to remember that before the 3 game losing streak, we had a record of P16 W12 D3 L1 - and the one loss was coventry - we're more than capable of beating any team, we aren't suddenly a bad team, we just had a few games that didn't go our way.

Also, in that stretch we dropped just 2 points at home, in the ipswich game.

On 17/03/2024 at 18:20, sishades said:

5 league wins this year suggests that 6 from 9 is optimistic.

Actually 6.

We've taken 1.6 ppg in 2024, if we match that over the last 9 games, that's 97 points.  No one deserves to criticise a team that amasses 97 points.

11 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

since then

It's a bit of both isn't it? Leeds form has been ridiculous but if we'd stuck around promotion form of 2ppg then we'd still be clear despite this. If that had been the case and people were saying "we've bottled it, the gap's only 5 now" then you'd be spot on.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 18:31, sishades said:

Why would any Leicester enjoy losing???? Stupid comment.

Well, there are plenty on here who certainly give that impression.

12 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Leeds are cruising this league now, there is no way they will lose another game and id be very surprised if they are not champions.

We have a 3 way battle not to end up in the playoffs. 

Not been overly impressed with them personally, but as we showed earlier in the season you don’t need to play well every week to win games.

Naturally they will be favourites to get autos but they have the toughest run in IMO. Let’s see.

On 17/03/2024 at 18:51, StanSP said:

Difference between confidence and form... 

Or fortune and misfortune.  We haven't played bad, or been outplayed in any of the last five games.

so, whilst it does all come down to points, it's a meaningless statistic to gauge the team on as far as how they are playing.

• Haha 1

On 17/03/2024 at 18:52, Col city fan said:

It’s looking like Leeds are gonna win it.

From the position we were in, I’m still struggling to get my head around it

Most be because of the blinkers you're wearing.

Four games ago it looked like we were going to win it.  there's 20% of the season left!

Guest foxestalkisfullofidiots
3 hours ago, Bazly said:

Burnley finished on 101 points last season. It shows points in the Championship means nothing in the EPL.

“Points in the championship mean nothing in the EPL”

have you considered becoming a football pundit? 😂

5 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Or fortune and misfortune.  We haven't played bad, or been outplayed in any of the last five games.

so, whilst it does all come down to points, it's a meaningless statistic to gauge the team on as far as how they are playing.

Have joined a parallel universe called Spurs-16 

22 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It's a bit of both isn't it? Leeds form has been ridiculous but if we'd stuck around promotion form of 2ppg then we'd still be clear despite this. If that had been the case and people were saying "we've bottled it, the gap's only 5 now" then you'd be spot on.

Sure, but for me the first 26 games we were massively overperforming - there's no way we could reasonably have expected to sustain 2.5ppg for the rest of the season (that's 115 points total);

for the last 11 we're hitting playoff form.  That's not bottling it, that just reverting to a reasonable norm - in fact, at the start of the season, i think most of us would have taken 6th place.

12 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Have joined a parallel universe called Spurs-16 

Again, literally no idea what this means.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

i've no idea what that means.

Because the form of last season 6th isn’t very good at all. Particularly in the context it was the lowest achieving points tally for the playoffs in ten years. Normally it’s mid 70s. 

You’ve used Leeds as a comparison and highlighted their superb form to say it’s rather their success rather than our own failure. 

In very simple terms if we look at the table from GW26. 

Leeds have made up 17 points 

Ipswich 9 

Southampton 5 

West Brom 7 

These are fairly sizeable point gaps being dropped here - helped in a couple of examples of this weekend but still not a good trend. 

So at one point we start admitting it’s our poor form or everyone just getting better? 

Edited by CosbehFox

21 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Again, literally no idea what this means.

I’d say points achieved is probably the most sure fire way of indicating how a team plays. 

You can create all the xG you like and defend to keep all the xG you like but if you finish poorly and defend on the break like idiots, then you lose points. Although the expected points model has had us at 2nd since Xmas 

Comments like you said we were the sort of stuff Spurs and Arsenal fans were coming out with in 2016 to give themselves a coping mechanism when we were not being reeled in. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Sure, but for me the first 26 games we were massively overperforming - there's no way we could reasonably have expected to sustain 2.5ppg for the rest of the season (that's 115 points total);

for the last 11 we're hitting playoff form.  That's not bottling it, that just reverting to a reasonable norm - in fact, at the start of the season, i think most of us would have taken 6th place.

That's why I said 2ppg. Dropping to form that is around 6th is bottling it. There's a big gap there. 

I definitely wouldn't have taken 6th at the start of the season either.

Just now, Number 6 said:

That's why I said 2ppg. Dropping to form that is around 6th is bottling it. There's a big gap there. 

I definitely wouldn't have taken 6th at the start of the season either.

Alongside 6th all of sudden putting the club into a playoff lottery scenario and subsequent financial penalties to come 

50 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

You have to remember that before the 3 game losing streak, we had a record of P16 W12 D3 L1 - and the one loss was coventry - we're more than capable of beating any team, we aren't suddenly a bad team, we just had a few games that didn't go our way.

Also, in that stretch we dropped just 2 points at home, in the ipswich game.

also Ipswich dont have easy games either id add;

and that loss to Cov was when we had 10 men for all the second half, id say if we had 11 men on the pitch we wouldnt have lost

• Like 1