Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

24 minutes ago, bovril said:

I like him and I'm glad we took a chance with him. But his inexperience is showing and we're lucky we have some exceptional players like Hermansen and Vardy. To be honest I think fans would be a little more generous towards him if he hadn't talked so often about them needing to understand the style of football. 

He needs to understand the championship as much as people have to understand the style of football.Blood and thunder and graft.Hard work beats talent......

Tactics are a bit to obvious now, wish he would change them at times. Teams seem to have a plan, that is quite effective against us at the moment. Problem for them is they don’t have the quality, in the prem we would get some proper stuffings

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

I think that's a very fair assessment and I totally agree. Sorry to repeat myself, but what I find bizarre is that I totally get the chess analogy he loves to refer to, and can totally see how that is a good strategy in tight games. What I don't get is making games like today's harder than they need to be by deliberately making it like a chess game. I watched the Sunderland stream, and they could not understand why we sat back and invited pressure and waited for them to make mistakes when we have the players to force the mistakes. We don't need to be 'patient' all the time. That, I cannot understand in a situation where that approach is not needed.

Enzo has overestimated the quality of this league. There's no chess in Championship where most defenders are clueless traffic cones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made this thread, but I echo the sentiment of being way too cautious after scoring a goal. Something we've been guilty of all season long and has come back to bite us against Ipswich twice and we've gotten away with it in many other games when it didn't need to be done. We looked electric in the first 15 minutes and then totally switched off. I don't understand why as Man City didn't play like that.

Worse still, I can accept playing the more Spanish style of throttling possession when ahead so that you don't necessarily look to score, but because you don't give the ball away, you don't concede either. But in this game we just gave it away time after time, gave away stupid free kicks and rode our luck.

I'm very nervous for the rest of the season, that was an awful performance and tactically hard to understand the switch off. The goal did wake Sunderland up and they targetted Winks a lot more, but it felt more like we let them back into it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Guest glasgowfox
1 minute ago, wokinghamfox said:

More than a bit.

Thanks for the clarification...if I put my true thoughts people would be hunting me down :ph34r:

Surely as manager you don’t want your team to be completely sitting off after going ahead though? It was like we gave up.

Did we even have a shot on target? I don’t remember us keeping the ball for longer than 10 seconds either. That was seriously bad. I’m worried about us 

9 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

He needs to understand the championship as much as people have to understand the style of football.Blood and thunder and graft.Hard work beats talent......

No it doesn’t but you need to be more talented and work hard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

He has showed no sign of learning from the difficult results against Leeds, Boro and Sheff Wed earlier in the season.

We got lucky tonight. Must do better against Hull. 

Pretty sure Leeds got very lucky against us.

5 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Tactics are a bit to obvious now, wish he would change them at times. Teams seem to have a plan, that is quite effective against us at the moment. Problem for them is they don’t have the quality, in the prem we would get some proper stuffings

We simply can't go to the PL with this tactics and players combination. Brighton will score 10 against us and Haaland 10 of the 14 Man City goals. Enzo needs to start implementing new ideas/plans unless he was promised 15 top of the shelf signings which I find very unlikely to happen. 

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I don’t know what’s more worrying our lack of scoring more than 1 goal in a game recently or the fact we have a manager who seems to believe we’re capable of seeing a game out when only being 1 nil up. 

Which we did.

• Thanks 1

Guest glasgowfox
Just now, Mr Weller 2 said:

Pretty sure Leeds got very lucky against us.

Correct.  If it wasn't for crap refereeing people overlook we would be 11 points clear of them just now

The impression I've gotten all season is that Enzo doesn't make massive changes to how we play as he has full faith and devotion to our plan A but honestly? I'm starting to question wether or not he has the ability to change it at all and if THAT is the reason for the stubbornness. 

Just now, Fear Of The Fox said:

We simply can't go to the PL with this tactics and players combination. Brighton will score 10 against us and Haaland 10 of the 14 Man City goals. Enzo needs to start implementing new ideas/plans unless he was promised 15 top of the shelf signings which I find very unlikely to happen. 

We beat Bournemouth last week.

1 minute ago, MGLCFC said:

Amazing reaction on here again - there are 23 teams in this league that would be delighted to swap places with us.

Our wage bill is nearly double that of 2nd place on that list, 23 teams should be in our position if given our resources. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

The impression I've gotten all season is that Enzo doesn't make massive changes to how we play as he has full faith and devotion to our plan A but honestly? I'm starting to question wether or not he has the ability to change it at all and if THAT is the reason for the stubbornness. 

we'll see whether he works something out over the intl break

2 weeks time to get the squad drilled in an alternate pattern and sorting out issues

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I made this thread, but I echo the sentiment of being way too cautious after scoring a goal. Something we've been guilty of all season long and has come back to bite us against Ipswich twice and we've gotten away with it in many other games when it didn't need to be done. We looked electric in the first 15 minutes and then totally switched off. I don't understand why as Man City didn't play like that.

Worse still, I can accept playing the more Spanish style of throttling possession when ahead so that you don't necessarily look to score, but because you don't give the ball away, you don't concede either. But in this game we just gave it away time after time, gave away stupid free kicks and rode our luck.

I'm very nervous for the rest of the season, that was an awful performance and tactically hard to understand the switch off. The goal did wake Sunderland up and they targetted Winks a lot more, but it felt more like we let them back into it.

The way I interpreted it was, they were pressing leaving holes everywhere. After the goal they sat off and packed the middle similar to QPR and we just didn’t know what to do. 
The most concerning thing (again) when they made a couple of changes they game really swung in their favour and Enzo didn’t react.

that was a real tough watch 

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Weller 2 said:

Which we did.

Very fortunate today. 
I was also thinking of cov away, Ipswich home and away, Sheffield Wednesday away, and Leeds away recently. 
That’s 15 possible points available when being 1 up and we took 2 points.

1 minute ago, mod hero said:

The way I interpreted it was, they were pressing leaving holes everywhere. After the goal they sat off and packed the middle similar to QPR and we just didn’t know what to do. 
The most concerning thing (again) when they made a couple of changes they game really swung in their favour and Enzo didn’t react.

that was a real tough watch 

Just to add that when Enzo does put subs on, we invariably look much worse. Today we were terrible, but when he put Nacho and JJ on, we looked even worse. I remember early in the season when he took Mavidi off and moved KDH to LW, it was a disastrous move. I cant remember Enzo ever using his tactical nous and putting subs on, which swung the game in our favour.