Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

4 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Out of interest, how long do you like he’ll last as manager if we go up? I’m not criticising, just interested in views.

Would be results dependant surely? Although you would hope we would not be quite so tardy if it did look bad again.

Just now, phoneticerror said:

Out of interest, how long do you like he’ll last as manager if we go up? I’m not criticising, just interested in views.

Think he'll be gone in the summer.... he's probably looked at Vincent Company and seen how much his stock has diminished after everyone was raving about his success with Burnley last summer.

Enzo may try for a mid sized Italian club.

If he doesn't want to stay then so be it....we just got to move on 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Koke said:

Most of these players are gonna do nothing in the Premier League. This team are giving me Burnley vibes.

Burnley's issue was that they tore up their championship title squad from last season, not that the team weren't good enough to make the step up. Who knows, they might have done better this season if they had made less transfers in the summer.

Personally i think keeping a conistent core of players from the promotion side is vital to staying up and establishing yourself in the PL. At least 7-8 of our regular starters should be starting next year.

• Like 4

Just now, SuperMike said:

We were told at the start of the season that our style wears teams out and we'd score loads late on in matches (we dont).

We were told our huge talented squad would mean fewer 'bumps in the road' ie poor runs (it doesnt).

We were told other teams with lesser squads would struggle as the season progresses due to injuries and tiredness (they don't).

We were told that the players were new to the system, but as they got used to it they would get better and better (they havent).

We were told that as we get better, and the others fall apart, that big wins would abound and entertainnent would be part and parcel of winning big (its not).

Process?

Lets just hope it all comes together for the playoffs.

Told by whom, exactly?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Of course, but I was curious at guesses from the fan base. 

1 year if we go up, this Summer if we don’t 

50 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

We seem abit jaded and tired in the second half of games and Southampton also seem to to get knackered in the second half. 

Both teams play possession based football but seems Russell Martin has learnt and adapted to changing the way his team play by bringing on 3 subs early on in the second half if his teams 1 or 2 goals down.

Enzo just seems abit rely to change the formation or bring on subs that can make a difference.

I think you're correct with regards to the subs, he tends to favour like for like, but formation changes personally I can't recall one if I'm honest. His EnzoBall would suffer, heaven forbid 

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 1

Is it me or have a large number of the EnzoBall lovers, who all swooned over this modern, progressive, new style, that the top teams play, who were oh so impressed with how technically  brilliant and cleaver it was, they seemed to have gone quite now that the early season "dominance" appears to be waining.

If going buy the last 10 or so pages of posts the general feeling has changes and more and more posters are questioning EnzoBall and even if he will still be here ( unheard off 2 months into the season)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guppys Love Child said:

Is it me or have a large number of the EnzoBall lovers, who all swooned over this modern, progressive, new style, that the top teams play, who were oh so impressed with how technically  brilliant and cleaver it was, they seemed to have gone quite now that the early season "dominance" appears to be waining.

If going buy the last 10 or so pages of posts the general feeling has changes and more and more posters are questioning EnzoBall and even if he will still be here ( unheard off 2 months into the season)

Not a surprise after 3 loses, and an unconvincing win and players looking a bit frazzled is it?

26 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not a surprise after 3 loses, and an unconvincing win and players looking a bit frazzled is it?

I see your point.

But it was hailed by quite a few as this wonderful playing style that was so brilliant  and clever and if anyone so much as dared question it or Enzo for applying it they were instantly told how wrong they were, that knew nothing about football, lacked the knowledge to understand the intricacies of the setup etc. and now that EnzoBall seems to have hit a bump in the road  posters who were singing it's plaudits aren't singing so loud.

Yes some may counter with but but we have injuries and suspensions. But the squad are professional footballer for god's sake are they not capable of at least playing in a slightly different role in a similar area of the pitch. It not like we have 8 or  9 players out of position every match  It's not the player it's the god awful system. 

• Like 2

Just now, Guppys Love Child said:

I see your point.

But it was hailed by quite a few as this wonderful playing style that was so brilliant  and clever and if anyone so much as dared question it or Enzo for applying it they were instantly told how wrong they were, that knew nothing about football, lacked the knowledge to understand the intricacies of the setup etc. and now that EnzoBall seems to have hit a bump in the road  posters who were singing it's plaudits aren't singing so loud.

Yes some may counter with but but we have injuries and suspensions. But the squad are professional footballer for god's sake are they not capable of at least playing in a slightly different role in a similar area of the pitch. It not like we have 8 or  9 players out of position every match  It's not the player it's the god awful system. 

All gone a bit flat and sure there are multiple reasons. Is it Enzo’s tactics? No idea,  but it isn’t like we have stopped playing that way, we just seem flat much more often, very odd. Maybe it’s the financial thing?  :dunno:

There could be things going on behind the scenes, we'll never know.

But I just have a feeling we have been found out.

Teams are not falling for running about in the first half so much, and fatigue is managed better

Areas are being marked and not players so much, so their shape is better 

Teams know we will definitely set up with EnzoBall and it's a methodical, pragmatic, patient build up style and are training to combat this and not get sucked in.  

The problem is Enzo religiously sticks to his style and won't entertain even tweaking a bit. So in eccence we are less affective now than we were at the beginning of the season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

We seem abit jaded and tired in the second half of games and Southampton also seem to to get knackered in the second half. 

Both teams play possession based football but seems Russell Martin has learnt and adapted to changing the way his team play by bringing on 3 subs early on in the second half if his teams 1 or 2 goals down.

Enzo just seems abit rely to change the formation or bring on subs that can make a difference.

Martin hasn't nailed it though has he Southampton have lost a few games recently that they were expected to win and are 11 points behind us in no better form

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

You come across as being glad we're not doing as well as we were so you can mock the people who like what Maresca's trying to do and point out how clever you were to have seen the emperor was wearing no clothes right from the start.

But I'm sure that's a misleading impression.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Don’t think he’ll be here next season whatever division we are in. Just got that feeling. 

To be honest, I don't mind.

Ipswich, Southampton or Leeds are much more interesting to watch, much as it pains me to admit.

20 minutes ago, BertFill said:

You come across as being glad we're not doing as well as we were so you can mock the people who like what Maresca's trying to do and point out how clever you were to have seen the emperor was wearing no clothes right from the start.

That’s the vibe I get from a lot of people, almost like our own fans want us to fail. It’s ridiculous. On “being found out”, I mean did we expect other clubs to roll over and let us through. These teams have analysts and coaches who look at us and try and work out a way of beating or stopping us. I don’t think we’ve been outplayed by many sides this season. The sides that have beaten us have sat back, soaked up the pressure then hit us on the break. At home it’s harder, as our crowd get on our backs. Away it’s easier as the onus is on the home side to take the game to us, and the away supporters have been class all season. Last night wasn’t pretty, but Sunderland didn’t really threaten if you think about it. Ironically, the best we’ve played recent was for an hour at Leeds. Missed chances, a deflected goal and we’ve lost ! 

• Like 3

In the 3 matches we lost recently, only the QPR game, where we didn’t look like scoring, even yesterday, in the 1st 30 min, we created some decent chances, so I don’t like other teams have found us out. I think we’ve been very wasteful, which gave our opponents confidence and they’ve gone on to punish us. Last night, once we took the lead, we became over protective of our lead,  and as a result we because too passive. We will need to be more aggressive against Hull. I highly doubt this is coming from Enzo, but rather the players not taking risks they were taking earlier in the season.

Edited by Lad1966

10 hours ago, BertFill said:

100% correct.

No way am I glad we are suffering at the moment.  

And my views are not so I can mock others (I find that sort of playground behaviour childish) 

From day one I've never hidden the fact I'm not a fan of EnzoBall, I find the "bi product's" of it's implementation, the patient, slow, methodical, passing fest, are definitely not my cup of tea.  I understand the mechanics and reasoning behind the style, and until recently it's worked well, but like a few others posters I find the action on the pitch boring for high percentages of match.

I guess the flavour of my most recent posts is my frustration that now the system seems to be less affective, Enzo is reluctant to even entertain adapting it or trying something slightly different.

His stubbornness baffles me, it's as if he's now 'stuck between a rock and a hard place' by his earlier comments of 'this is how we are going to play',  its the identity he wants for us and maybe in his mind (and this is a wild guess) his personal pride is stopping him changing anything as it shows a flaw or weakness in the system he stands by so passionately, even to the point of threatening to leave the next day if the system / approach was "doubted"  

I'm probably a million miles away from being correct here and it is just as simple as he truly believes in his system and feel it's the best way to play.

Edited by Guppys Love Child

19 hours ago, LVFox said:

I'm a huge Enzo fan, but I do feel we've really gone from control to arrogance. We don't put any pressure on opponents any more when they have the ball, we almost expect it to fizzle out and we will keep hold of it again. Need to be more cutthroat in every aspect of our play at the moment.

I read it completely differently to that -  i didn't see arrogance, i saw fear - the fear of conceding, the fear of throwing away the rest of our head start.

I think you do this team a great discredit - put yourself in their place and try to the imagine the pressure on them.  fans complaining and saying they're shit despite being in a race for promotion.

The repercussions of failure are enormous, but they know they're capable they just need to get the confidence back - people are quick to forget how sensationally and successfully we played in the games before the three losses.

• Like 2