Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

I see Enzo is again talking about the failure to sign Sensi - who shortly after the deal collapsed had ankle surgery.Imagine the justifiable furore if we had signed him and that had happened. Not so much "come and play for us" as "come and enjoy our first class medical facilities.."

1 minute ago, smudgerfox said:

I see Enzo is again talking about the failure to sign Sensi - who shortly after the deal collapsed had ankle surgery.Imagine the justifiable furore if we had signed him and that had happened. Not so much "come and play for us" as "come and enjoy our first class medical facilities.."

He almost certainly opted to have the surgery after the deal fell through.

Timing thing.

• Like 3

Guest glasgowfox

I am not here to slag Enzo as still think he is doing a fantastic job.  All I would say, in my opinion, sometimes I find the way we play a bit boring, predictable and slow.  Would love to see us mix it up a bit at times if only to keep the other team guessing and maybe pull them out of shape.  That said, the plusses from Enzo far outweigh the minuses.

Just now, smudgerfox said:

Presumably Sensi has had the surgery now to get it out of the way as there is no way he is playing for Inter for the rest of the season? 

5 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

He needed surgery. Therefore not fully fit. Therefore liable to injury breakdown. End of.

It’s something he could play with. He has been playing with it for a long period of time. It’s a clean up job that could have waited for the summer but he’s done it now seeing as he’s not gonna play for Inter and he’s out of contract this summer. 

On 03/03/2024 at 19:55, Tuna said:

It would be madness to play the way we do in the Premier League, we'd need to adapt

Can't see it. Hope I'm wrong but at this moment in time, I think we will scrape up in the top 2 this season, then get absolutely humbled in the premier league and Enzo will be gone before Christmas. 
Enzo is utterly defiant and will play this system regardless of the players he has, in the championship we have a bit of wiggle room because ultimately our players are by far some of the best in this division and that quality is seeing us through, not in the premier league though, we don't have the finances to go out and spend the 150m+ required to get this team into a technical position to be able to play this against the premier league teams. 
I am biased because I don't think this system works without top-class talent and I'm a gegenpress fan myself, I just cannot see us being able to pull of the 7-8 top class (cheap) signings required to make it work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Can't see it. Hope I'm wrong but at this moment in time, I think we will scrape up in the top 2 this season, then get absolutely humbled in the premier league and Enzo will be gone before Christmas. 
Enzo is utterly defiant and will play this system regardless of the players he has, in the championship we have a bit of wiggle room because ultimately our players are by far some of the best in this division and that quality is seeing us through, not in the premier league though, we don't have the finances to go out and spend the 150m+ required to get this team into a technical position to be able to play this against the premier league teams. 
I am biased because I don't think this system works without top-class talent and I'm a gegenpress fan myself, I just cannot see us being able to pull of the 7-8 top class (cheap) signings required to make it work. 

I agree 100%. But I fear your're correct in your assumptions.

And your quote (the bold bit)  with regards to his stubbornness in only playing his system and only his system every match,  IMO is causing more harm than good.

( I understand and I admire to a point, his conviction to stick by his ideals and belief in his system..but),

It's as if we have come to the point that, now we are playing the return fixtures, some of the opposition have learnt how to nullify EnzoBall to a varying degree, so now's the perfect time to evolve a bit.( I'm not suggesting a whole raft of changes and certainly not to adopt a hoof ball approach)

Then hope that our superior squad compared to most on paper is enough to start winning again after some needed tweaks.

Lets keep the opposition guessing, instead of them setting up to play against  Enzos "this is the way we play" regardless and therefore  predictable style. Let's not make it easier to set up against, but harder with a bit of variety.

My turn to use the phrase now.  " I hope I'm wrong " but I fear that we'll all be treated to yet another game of patient, methodical, low intensity to get forward EnzoBall tonight....  Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Edited by Guppys Love Child

For the players that he has and the facilities I generally think he is one of the worse tactician managers in the league.

Always defends a 1 goal lead and requests his team to stop playing football 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

For the players that he has and the facilities I generally think he is one of the worse tactician managers in the league.

Always defends a 1 goal lead and requests his team to stop playing football 

Wow 

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Wow 

It's hardly wow its not a coincidence that teams with much less resources and by far well below standard of players we have look like they can turn us over nearly every game.

Premier league will be miserable under him just wait and see please bookmark this.

That's if we get promoted 

Just now, Fox85 said:

It's hardly wow its not a coincidence that teams with much less resources and by far well below standard of players we have look like they can turn us over nearly every game.

Premier league will be miserable under him just wait and see please bookmark this.

That's if we get promoted 

I just can’t believe a Leicester fan would say he is one of the worst tacticians in the league. Do you just ignore all the good stuff and when he gets it right? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just cannot understand the caution after going ahead. It's inexplicable.

Don't make it a chess game if it doesn't need to be*

*I'm aware of the irony of my current profile pic

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think he's the worst tactician in the league by a long shot, but with that said, we have put in so many howlers this season with arguably the best team in the division. Even games where we've won comfortably we've had really poor first halves on a regular basis, with the squad we have, we should be absolutely dominating teams like tonight but we are not. We've had way more howlers than truly outstanding performances relative to our quality. 

• Like 1

I like him and I'm glad we took a chance with him. But his inexperience is showing and we're lucky we have some exceptional players like Hermansen and Vardy. To be honest I think fans would be a little more generous towards him if he hadn't talked so often about them needing to understand the style of football. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I just can’t believe a Leicester fan would say he is one of the worst tacticians in the league. Do you just ignore all the good stuff and when he gets it right? 

That is beyond rare.

His subs have always been suss, his style of play is so boring its painful to watch, there has only been once these season we have taken the bat to a team and that was stoke away.....more so because they were utter tripe. The rest of the time its score a goal and then sit on it. If we go behind he has not got a clue what to do.

Enzo is not all that and will get found out so hard in the prem, if of course we make it.

Dominate, score a goal and/or miss a load of chances. Sit back. Allow the opposition to begin to grow in confidence, dominate us then do nothing positive to address it and make baffling subs.

OK, OTT and harsh maybe but increasingly more than a grain of truth in it. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

I like him and I'm glad we took a chance with him. But his inexperience is showing and we're lucky we have some exceptional players like Hermansen and Vardy. To be honest I think fans would be a little more generous towards him if he hadn't talked so often about them needing to understand the style of football. 

I think that's a very fair assessment and I totally agree. Sorry to repeat myself, but what I find bizarre is that I totally get the chess analogy he loves to refer to, and can totally see how that is a good strategy in tight games. What I don't get is making games like today's harder than they need to be by deliberately making it like a chess game. I watched the Sunderland stream, and they could not understand why we sat back and invited pressure and waited for them to make mistakes when we have the players to force the mistakes. We don't need to be 'patient' all the time. That, I cannot understand in a situation where that approach is not needed.

• Like 1

I'm a huge Enzo fan, but I do feel we've really gone from control to arrogance. We don't put any pressure on opponents any more when they have the ball, we almost expect it to fizzle out and we will keep hold of it again. Need to be more cutthroat in every aspect of our play at the moment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glasgowfox said:

I am not here to slag Enzo as still think he is doing a fantastic job.  All I would say, in my opinion, sometimes I find the way we play a bit boring, predictable and slow.  Would love to see us mix it up a bit at times if only to keep the other team guessing and maybe pull them out of shape.  That said, the plusses from Enzo far outweigh the minuses.

A bit boring 😴 

Very cautious performance today. We went to a back 5 after we scored with coady, Faes and choudary CBs;  Fatawu and Doyle RWB. We seemed to tire at the end but found a way to win which was massive. Even though it was hard to watch we didn't give them many clear chances and got a clean sheet which we needed so badly after recent league results. 

We need to use that ugly win to generate a bit of momentum going into a tough game against Hull where we need to be much better in possession. Ndidi coming back to fitness is huge for us.

The impact of losing Vestergaard is underestimated as well. He is so important for us to play through the press and would have made a massive difference to us today as I'm sure he will on Saturday.

Edited by Kierzz
After thought