Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Car Sat Nav

Hi Guys,

After Googling for an answer, I often come on here when it relates to cars as I can never find an answer online but you knowledgable lot are very helpful.

So, I have a 2016 Jag XF and get fed up with my sat nav when it wants me to take a certain route but, for whatever reason, the road it wants to go down is closed. It is not aware of this and so I wanted to know if there is a way I can tell it to find an alternative route ignoring the closed road. All it ever wants me to do is take a U-turn and get back on the closed road.

Any ideas?

12 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

After Googling for an answer, I often come on here when it relates to cars as I can never find an answer online but you knowledgable lot are very helpful.

So, I have a 2016 Jag XF and get fed up with my sat nav when it wants me to take a certain route but, for whatever reason, the road it wants to go down is closed. It is not aware of this and so I wanted to know if there is a way I can tell it to find an alternative route ignoring the closed road. All it ever wants me to do is take a U-turn and get back on the closed road.

Any ideas?

Google maps or Waze.

Car satnavs are great, but you need real time info.

Personally, it's always Google for me.

Some manufacturers need updates from a main dealer.

We did a trip on the BMW satnav, it didn't recognise we were on a new road and it completely lost its shit lol

I’ve got a 9 year old Vauxhall which I’ve had from new. A year after I bought I found the sat nav was out of date and Vauxhall wanted £120 to update which obviously these days wouldn’t last long. I’ve been using google maps ever since.

image.jpeg.e5f4c7157ddb3a90382885f0955e6868.jpeg

Never had a car with an in-built Sat Nav so have always used Waze on my phone.

I thought if you had an inbuilt one you could download the latest maps online? I'm sure my Dad did this a few years back by downloading the updates to a USB then uploading in the car, although surely nowadays you'd think your car could just download them itself. It's really poor if you have to pay for them though.

I've found Google maps/Android auto, although it can only be connected to my car via phone and a cable, is far superior to in car sat nav. I swear i spent 5 minutes shouting 'Newtown Linford ' at the damn thing on the car the other day, Google maps got it first time. 

That said, the satnav in my Jaguar was much better but Google maps has far more live info. 

Edited by FoyleFox

I use Google maps on my phone., with my phone in a phone holder, charging from the USB / cigarette lighter in the car.

My car has a sat-nav but I never use it. It is out of date and Ford wanted £400 for a new SD card (which would have been out of date again really soon).

I find Google maps just so much easier to use. You can search for a particular building rather than just a postcode.

I think ultimately more cars will not have sat -navs built in, but will simply use Car Play instead.

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

For the first time in my life I'm driving a current car, so I've got the luxury of Android Auto. Not even tried the built in Satnav as I'll have to work out how to use it and it's not going to be better than Google Maps, is it?

I use the built in sat Nav in my car - you get real time stuff and it integrates with the dash really well - junction details etc. I can also plot routes from an app before setting off and send destinations to the car, which is handy. Just pips google maps and carplay for me. 

1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

I use the built in sat Nav in my car - you get real time stuff and it integrates with the dash really well - junction details etc. I can also plot routes from an app before setting off and send destinations to the car, which is handy. Just pips google maps and carplay for me. 

My new SKODA has a built in sat nav with live updates on it but also has android auto. What's good is that both the inbuilt sat nav and google maps work with directions going on the dash and voice control and stuff. I tend to stick with google maps but that's just because I'm more used to it. The built in sat nav is better for motorways and showing you the correct lanes and stuff though

• Like 1