Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Shifting Belly Fat

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

im not suggesting it as a go to strategy at all.  I’m suggesting based on information shared. He’s pretty fit and lean, needs low impact excersises  because of his knees and we don’t know his situation and why he does or doesn’t have X equipment. Sometimes you need to give advice based on the information shared not based on wether you think would give optimum  results.

Original post said he has a background in fitness but has let it slip recently, and says he has weights and some equipment.

I've suggested static exercises with zero impact with recommendations for 2 bits of basic equipment. Given that he used to be into boxing, it's fair to assume he'd be comfortable with a pull-up bar and a kettle bell.

If he'd been less casual with the question I'd have taken a dive into the specifics of macros, the body's hormonal response to carbohydrates versus protein and fat, optimisation of nutrition and a load of other factors but he was straightforward with the question so I stuck to broad advice.

Based on the information shared I'd say I've given a decent answer. 

Now I must go to sleep or I'll tank my testosterone and end up posting here to ask how I can get rid of my tits.

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

Original post said he has a background in fitness but has let it slip recently, and says he has weights and some equipment.

I've suggested static exercises with zero impact with recommendations for 2 bits of basic equipment. Given that he used to be into boxing, it's fair to assume he'd be comfortable with a pull-up bar and a kettle bell.

If he'd been less casual with the question I'd have taken a dive into the specifics of macros, the body's hormonal response to carbohydrates versus protein and fat, optimisation of nutrition and a load of other factors but he was straightforward with the question so I stuck to broad advice.

Based on the information shared I'd say I've given a decent answer. 

Now’s I must go to sleep or I'll tank my testosterone and end up posting here to ask how I can get rid of my tits.

toe curls, definitely.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone! Some really good tips and professional advice on here which I've already stated to take on-board and plenty to discuss with my Diabetes team (have my review first week of October so good timing too!). 

Also some good debate, differing opinions too. 

Was genuinely just expecting a thread of "go for a jog you for c*nt" so pleasantly surprised! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

As I said:

- Resistance training should be the focus rather than cardio, although cardio is complementary

- A diet high in protein and fat, with minimal sugars/fast-acting carbs to keep insulin response in check

- Managing calories to maintenance or slight deficit

- Compound movements using the biggest muscles, especially kettle bell swings, pull-ups, Turkish get-ups, press-ups

- Choose a weight that causes you to fail between 8-20 reps (pull-ups this will be the case, a 20kg kettle bell would be about right, no need to worry if you can bang out more press-ups than that)

- 3 workouts a week

- Sleep plenty

A month of that and you'll be pleased in front of the mirror. 2 months and you'll look like a different man.

2 bits of equipment, 90 minutes a week, and a bit of faffing with a food tracker app until you understand your portions.

What are the two bits of equipment? I'm seeing 20kg kettle ball. 

Asking as I may well just start doing what you have said above. I usually trail run 3-4 times a week but I have a long term groin injury that means I can't run at all and I'm going to end up losing all my progress :(

18 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Asking as I may well just start doing what you have said above. I usually trail run 3-4 times a week but I have a long term groin injury that means I can't run at all and I'm going to end up losing all my progress :(

Pull up bar (that goes fits into a door frame)

On 05/09/2023 at 13:49, Tommy G said:

You could say the same about Gym Memberships, you could go for a no frills option at £25 a month or over £100 for David Lloyd etc. If your gym is 5 miles away you also have to factor in time and travel costs - fuel, car depreciation etc, so infact it becomes much more expensive than a Peloton. I think a fantastically large expensive is way OTT lol

£2k for the bike. I think me and you are in 2 different financial situations. Even if you were spending £100 on a David Lloyd that is 5 miles away, with the fuel prices and depreciation of the car it would still work out that in the time it takes to pay off a bike on BNPL, you would have spent less going to the gym. 

I don't subscribe to a gym myself. You can do everything you can do at a gym either in your home or outdoors. Only thing that would change that is the weather. 

13 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

You can do everything you can do at a gym either in your home or outdoors. 

You don't need to go to a gym to get fit or in better shape, but this statement isn't true. 

I've been going consistently for 3 months now after years of playing football and exercising at home and the difference I've made in that 3 months is massive compared to working out at home for 2/3 years. 

Cables and other machines can make a big difference.

Edited by pmcla26
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

You don't need to go to a gym to get fit or in better shape, but this statement isn't true. 

I've been going consistently for 3 months now after years of playing football and exercising at home and the difference I've made in that 3 months is massive compared to working out at home for 2/3 years. 

I couldn't get on with the door cables admittedly. Was a fantastic way to accidentally tan my own arse instead of having someone else hit it. 

Couldn't walk right for a week....

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ramboacdc said:

£2k for the bike. I think me and you are in 2 different financial situations. Even if you were spending £100 on a David Lloyd that is 5 miles away, with the fuel prices and depreciation of the car it would still work out that in the time it takes to pay off a bike on BNPL, you would have spent less going to the gym. 

I don't subscribe to a gym myself. You can do everything you can do at a gym either in your home or outdoors. Only thing that would change that is the weather. 

couldnt think of anything more boring than sitting on a stationary bike in a "pretend" race!

get out on a proper bike and get some air in your lungs and feel the proper  pain of going up a hill!!

• Like 2

Personally, paying for a gym forces me to go. I'm lucky that mine is a 4 minute walk from my house and I can pop down any time. I pay £30 a month and I definitely get my money's worth - usually about 3 hours a week. 

You absolutely can achieve things at home with no equipment but you've got to be very disciplined. 

One other mental benefit of a gym is the mindset. You're around other people who have the same goals and can be a benchmark. EG: see someone who's a bit bigger than you and they're curling weights 8,10, or 12kg more than you? That's something to aim for. 

YMMV but I think the mental aspect of being around others cannot be underestimated, especially if you are interested in working with partners.

Edited by fox_up_north
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Personally, paying for a gym forces me to go. I'm lucky that mine is a 4 minute walk from my house and I can pop down any time. I pay £30 a month and I definitely get my money's worth - usually about 3 hours a week. 

You absolutely can achieve things at home with no equipment but you've got to be very disciplined. 

One other mental benefit of a gym is the mindset. You're around other people who have the same goals and can be a benchmark. EG: see someone who's a bit bigger than you and they're curling weights 8,10, or 12kg more than you? That's something to aim for. 

YMMV but I think the mental aspect of being around others cannot be underestimated, especially if you are interested in working with partners.

The fact there are other people there is what stops me going into the gym. 

Some of the weirdos even film themselves

• Like 3

Most of the time they're doing that to check form. It's often in the functional/ aerobic area. There was a woman near me filming herself doing handstand walks and other bits.

Even if they are filming themselves for a youtube channel or whatever, better that than someone just filming themselves playing videogames or just getting up to no good. 

On 04/09/2023 at 16:46, Bryn said:

If you can afford it I would highly recommend a personal trainer

Just to mention whilst a PT can be incredible, you need to make sure you find one that aligns with your goals and their methods/training will be something you can merge into your life. 

I've seen on so many occasions people choosing a trainer with experience in the wrong area or someone who focuses using X techniques that completely clashes with your lifestyle.

I actually find you can get a pretty great PT service by just following a few on Instagram/X. Many smaller ones will regularly give out free workout plans or have "Q&A" sessions where you can ask questions and find answers which can be really helpful if you're not confident to ask someone in person.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Most of the time they're doing that to check form. It's often in the functional/ aerobic area. There was a woman near me filming herself doing handstand walks and other bits.

Even if they are filming themselves for a youtube channel or whatever, better that than someone just filming themselves playing videogames or just getting up to no good. 

I admit I've had to film my form a few times when deadlifting with all the stations with mirrors taken. Hated doing it, but needed that reassurance my form was still fine when going heavy without a spotter 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 10:23, Lako42 said:

It was a pull-up bar.

My full setup centres on these 3 bits of equipment:

a pull-up and dip station similar to this (mine is cheaper) 

https://amzn.eu/d/2N24RF0

a knock-off TRX like this

https://amzn.eu/d/4hopgIp

this kettle bell

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9359587?clickPR=plp:10:15

I have some other stuff like dumbbells, a Swiss ball, a simple bench and a heavy bag for boxing but they're luxuries.

The three things above give you everything you need to look good naked, be strong enough to shift a washing machine without injuring yourself and get jealous comments from your mates in the pub.

It's not bodybuilding stuff, gym bros tend to scoff at it but I'm about being able to move my body, have energy every day and keep the wife's eye from wandering without living in the gym.

As important as the equipment though is the food. Cronometer or MyFitnessPal are good options.

• Thanks 1

On 07/09/2023 at 11:27, pmcla26 said:

The only thing I sometimes wish I had at home are the cables and the sauna

On 05/09/2023 at 13:49, Tommy G said:

You could say the same about Gym Memberships, you could go for a no frills option at £25 a month or over £100 for David Lloyd etc. If your gym is 5 miles away you also have to factor in time and travel costs - fuel, car depreciation etc, so infact it becomes much more expensive than a Peloton. I think a fantastically large expensive is way OTT lol

This is the only stationary bike that's worth the money.

Better aerobic and anaerobic results than anything else - better health results by every metric in fact, delivered in fifteen minutes per week, without breaking sweat.

It uses AI to deliver the perfect resistance to the pedals in real time for you to completely exhaust muscle glycogen. It's ridiculous. REHIIT is a genuine leap forward in gym tech.

And no, I can't afford one :(

https://carolbike.com/uk/science/?_gl=1*86qf21*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTQyODMwNjI4LjE2OTQxODY2NjA.*_ga_5HJ8L0XG4W*MTY5NDE4NjY1OS4xLjAuMTY5NDE4NjY1OS4wLjAuMA..

3 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

It was a pull-up bar.

My full setup centres on these 3 bits of equipment:

a pull-up and dip station similar to this (mine is cheaper) 

https://amzn.eu/d/2N24RF0

a knock-off TRX like this

https://amzn.eu/d/4hopgIp

this kettle bell

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9359587?clickPR=plp:10:15

I have some other stuff like dumbbells, a Swiss ball, a simple bench and a heavy bag for boxing but they're luxuries.

The three things above give you everything you need to look good naked, be strong enough to shift a washing machine without injuring yourself and get jealous comments from your mates in the pub.

It's not bodybuilding stuff, gym bros tend to scoff at it but I'm about being able to move my body, have energy every day and keep the wife's eye from wandering without living in the gym.

As important as the equipment though is the food. Cronometer or MyFitnessPal are good options.

Cheers 

Is just one kettle bell enough? Also is 20kg a bit heavy for a 'beginner' 

3 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

This is the only stationary bike that's worth the money.

Better aerobic and anaerobic results than anything else - better health results by every metric in fact, delivered in fifteen minutes per week, without breaking sweat.

It uses AI to deliver the perfect resistance to the pedals in real time for you to completely exhaust muscle glycogen. It's ridiculous. REHIIT is a genuine leap forward in gym tech.

And no, I can't afford one :(

https://carolbike.com/uk/science/?_gl=1*86qf21*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTQyODMwNjI4LjE2OTQxODY2NjA.*_ga_5HJ8L0XG4W*MTY5NDE4NjY1OS4xLjAuMTY5NDE4NjY1OS4wLjAuMA..

£2600 for a stationary bike PLUS £15 PER MONTH Membership!!!!

Boybtgeres some stupid gullible people in the World!!!

Just go for a fecking fast walk or bike ride and have a bloody good holiday instead!

25 minutes ago, Raj said:

£2600 for a stationary bike PLUS £15 PER MONTH Membership!!!!

Boybtgeres some stupid gullible people in the World!!!

Just go for a fecking fast walk or bike ride and have a bloody good holiday instead!

I agree with you on everything but this AI-assisted REHIT bike, because the way it pushes back cannot be replicated on a normal bike and that's where the sci-fi effects on the body come from.

Or maybe, it's a load of bollocks and they paid a bunch of pseudo-scientists for that research. :)

36 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Cheers 

Is just one kettle bell enough? Also is 20kg a bit heavy for a 'beginner' 

I started with a 10kg plastic one but it was too small, my wife uses it now.

Pavel Tsatsouline, the self-claimed former Russian Spetsnaz trainer who introduced the kettle bell to the US military in the 80s, suggests 16kg for a beginner male, 24kg for intermediate up to 32kg for advanced.

I wasn't about to buy more than one so I went with 20kg. I weigh 80kg. I got on fine with it, it's more about technique and building up how many you do.

Be prepared for some strange muscles to hurt initially, ones you've never been aware of...

Tsatsouline says that the KB swing is the only exercise you really need for long-term health and he has a point.

He lays it all out in this gloriously self-aware book:

https://archive.org/details/enterkettlebells0000tsat

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I agree with you on everything but this AI-assisted REHIT bike, because the way it pushes back cannot be replicated on a normal bike and that's where the sci-fi effects on the body come from.

Or maybe, it's a load of bollocks and they paid a bunch of pseudo-scientists for that research. :)

Exercise shouldn't be a science unless your an athlete or sportsperson!

Keep it simple.

Input (Food) less than output(Exercise)= weight loss.

Eat good food.

Exercise.

Rest 

Breath.

Live

That's it really.

Enjoy remember most of us are never getting a 6 pack or look like Cristian Ronsldo.

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Exercise shouldn't be a science unless your an athlete or sportsperson!

Keep it simple.

Input (Food) less than output(Exercise)= weight loss.

Eat good food.

Exercise.

Rest 

Breath.

Live

That's it really.

Enjoy remember most of us are never getting a 6 pack or look like Cristian Ronsldo.

I am an athlete.

I'm the secretary of an under 8s football team.

• Haha 1